Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 05:05 PM

495 posts, read 1,831,012 times

Advertisements

I don't know if I commented on this thread before. I probably did.

But reading the title today actually made me ponder something.

It just seems kind of silly to hate a city.

I think it's a roundabout way of saying you hate your life.

Blossom where you are. And if your dreams are not taking root, plant your

behind in better soil elsewhere.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:07 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
From the blog:

It is true, he doesn't have to like it. But who cares? A lot of people DO like it. Some people don't. It is subjective. Opinions are just..... opinions.
Except for the fact that San Francisco is L.A., done right. For a major city, I found SF relatively clean.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:16 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,156,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
Except for the fact that San Francisco is L.A., done right. For a major city, I found SF relatively clean.
Personally I would say San Jose is pretty clean. Its almost sqeaky clean in comparison to SF.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:52 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
Personally I would say San Jose is pretty clean. Its almost sqeaky clean in comparison to SF.
I wouldn't know, I've never been to San Jose, I'm told it's a wonderful city with terrible roads. I'm hoping to see it when I move back to the Bay Area.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:50 PM

251 posts, read 1,034,656 times
San Jose is very clean....

Old 05-26-2009, 12:00 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwoodlvr View Post

While I agree with what you are saying, in this case the OP titled the thread badly -- it's not that SHE hates SF, she posted an article where the writer said he hates SF and asked for comments.

I didn't read the article. Because I think like you -- there are MILLIONS of other places to live if you hate SF.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:59 AM

54 posts, read 170,554 times
Quote:

I could not agree more. Truly happy people find happiness anywhere. Sure you might prefer one place to another, but if you are a truly happy person I don't think it would matter where you live. I have lived in so many places-- west coast, east coast, midwest.... I prefer CA to anywhere else in the US but I can definitely find the good elsewhere. If I had to move back to the east coast or midwest I could still be happy b/c I would CHOOSE to be happy. Happiness is a choice. A city, a house, the weather.... those things don't make one happy (regardless of what so many think). YOU make YOURSELF happy. So, let's get away from this ridiculous banter. It seems curious to me that someone who doesn't live here would spend personal time bashing it.

Enjoy the sunshine!

Old 05-26-2009, 10:18 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:

Maybe the real issue is that their behinds are soiled.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:47 PM

56 posts, read 182,865 times
Unfortunately I agree. I keep trying to like it here, and have actually found a few things I enjoy, which has helped, but now that I have my degree, and my husband's work has slowed down I CAN'T WAIT to move. The thing is, rents have just jumped, we have a good savings, but will need a car anywhere else we go, I feel stuck here

Old 05-28-2009, 01:28 AM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Here are my responses to his points...

1. NO LEFT TURNS

That's only true on the major roads, like Market and 19th Ave... then you just have to be creative, and do the right-right-right or illegal U-turn moves.

2. The lack of parking

I'll give him that, but it's hardly a problem that's unique to San Francisco. Ever try to find parking in downtown D.C., Boston, NYC, LA, etc?

3. The plentiful supply of homeless people

Eh. They really don't bother me, unless they get pushy or aggressive. Having grown up around here, I hardly even notice... plus I'm able to see them as humans, not just an annoying insect as some do.

4. Hills, hills, hills--good for views, bad for safety

I love the hills! I drive a stick-shift, and there's nothing more exhilarating than gunning up a steep one in first gear. Only hard part is getting stuck between cars on a hilly stop-sign, but you can avoid that by rolling in first w/o brakes.

5. Frequent events/protests/parades/festivals that snarl up traffic for no good reason whatsoever

People always talk about this, but it's rare that you unexpectedly end up in a parade or protest... I mean, everyone in SF knows to avoid downtown on Pride and Halloween! Only time I can remember getting stuck was last month, when they had a funeral procession for the fallen Oakland PD officers - took me 20 minutes to go 2 blocks down Polk.

6. The atrociously cold weather

I absolutely hate warm sunny weather, so San Francisco is the ideal climate for me... guess this one is just a matter of opinion, but I love being able to wear sweaters in July.

7. The nutball politicians who run the joint

I like most of our "nutballs" and their beliefs... we have a few loose screws, but doesn't every city?

8. The crappy public transportation system, which only seems functional in comparison to the even worse nightmares in other cities. Being the smartest retard ain't something to be proud of.

This is one I agree with, no arguments... Muni will get you anywhere, but it can take an hour to go 6 miles. And BART is fabulous, however 99% useless if you live off the "diagonal strip" it runs across. Lame.

9. Every miserable night on the town I've ever spent in SF, which seem to devolve into a Sisyphean quest to find "the" right bar or nightclub

I'm not a bar-hopper, so I can't really comment on this one... but when I do have a fun night out, it's usually at the gay bars (and I'm straight).

10. The smug, self-satisfied attitude of residents who are convinced that they live the greatest city in the world. It's the people who claim to love the environment, then commute to jobs in San Jose that really burn me up.

I don't think it's THE greatest city in the world, but it is certainly in the top 10 - LOL. The Bay Area does have its share of smug-ness and hypocrites, but that's only a small segment of the population. San Francisco isn't for everyone, but I personally love it here. To each his/her own, I suppose... and yes, it is silly to hate a city!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland