Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 06:52 AM

701 posts, read 2,029,942 times

Advertisements

Is it a nightmare? I have yet to learn how to drive one but would like to learn and am thinking on getting one for my next car, depending on if I pick it up fast enough to be comfortable with it. I'll be planning to move back to SF within 6 months or so after getting the vehicle. I hear hills and stop-n-go traffic is the worst for manual driving and I know there's plenty of that in/around SF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 07:05 AM

323 posts, read 697,262 times
It is very difficult to get the car in gear after having stopped at a red light or a stop sign, especially with another vehicle directly behind you.
It take good reflexes, a strong parking brake and nerves of steel. It can be done but why? I drive a standard but wish I had an automatic in these circumstances. My steel nerves have started to rust.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:07 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
You get used to it! Just put on more gas and let out the clutch slower on the hills. Use the low gear going down. The hard part is dealing with the dumb drivers that pull right up behind you going up!

Old 06-08-2009, 10:08 AM

12 posts, read 49,636 times
I used to have a '73 beetle manual, and had to drive it into the city semi-regularly. I loved my car so much, that I was willing to make it work (even in the rain!) and even chose against MUNI as an alternative...but I betcha my next car was an automatic because I knew I'd still be going into the city and I just didn't want to deal.

On the other hand, I have a friend who spends more time in the city than I do (her business is there), and she's always driven manuals. She doesn't think twice about it and zips around town in her 5-speed no matter what.

I'd say learn to drive a manual first, rent one for a day or two when you have the most errands to run in SF, and then decide. Generally speaking, some people love manuals, some can't stand 'em. You wouldn't want to invest in one, realize you shoulda bought an automatic, and then live with a manual in SF.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:38 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat02 View Post
Is it a nightmare? I have yet to learn how to drive one but would like to learn and am thinking on getting one for my next car, depending on if I pick it up fast enough to be comfortable with it. I'll be planning to move back to SF within 6 months or so after getting the vehicle. I hear hills and stop-n-go traffic is the worst for manual driving and I know there's plenty of that in/around SF.
We do it all the time, and no nerves are wracked. But we've been driving a stick for 27 and 25 years years so it's second nature. And I never do the handbrake thing.

However... when stopped at a light on a hill, I do let the car coming up behind me that I drive a stick, by rolling back a bit. Make it obvious. The guy behind you might think you're an idiot that can't drive a stick, but they tend to give you a some room.

With me, I'm fine if you don't pressure me, but when pressured I'll freak.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:40 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,007,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
We do it all the time, and no nerves are wracked. But we've been driving a stick for 27 and 25 years years so it's second nature. And I never do the handbrake thing.

However... when stopped at a light on a hill, I do let the car coming up behind me that I drive a stick, by rolling back a bit. Make it obvious. The guy behind you might think you're an idiot that can't drive a stick, but they tend to give you a some room.

With me, I'm fine if you don't pressure me, but when pressured I'll freak.
LOL! I completely prefer driving a manual in SF over the automatic, more control overall.
Ok. so maybe then I'm a control freak but I do the same as Tallysmom and roll back a bit just to give the automatic driving dummy behind me the heads up!
And yeah, downshifting downhill is KEY.
Also, Never use the parking brake it'll screw up your timing of the clutch and gas and it'll wear out your clutch fast too.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:46 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,245,064 times
Both our vehicles have manual transmissions and driving in SF is never a problem. Yes, in stop-and-go traffic an automatic would be nice, but we don't find ourselves in that position very often.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:29 PM

90 posts, read 468,615 times
You can often choose the flatter route even if it takes a few more minutes, but I agree about the rolling backward thing on the steep hills, because people get right on your rear and that's when my heart starts pounding. Someone needs to sell a huge bumper sticker or a sign that can pop up in the rear that says "get off my butt, it's a stick!" or something!

I drove a stick for 26 years and finally got a manual, mostly for the safety with cell phone use and beverage control and handing stuff to kids, but I do miss the overall better car/speed/engine control of a stick anyhow.

You will burn more clutch in the beginning on the hills, out of nerves.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:02 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
I drive a stick (always have), and I actually think it's BETTER in San Francisco... when you're faced with a super steep hill, all you have to do is throw it in 1st/2nd, and you're good! Only tricky part is when you get stuck on a stop-sign at the top, and somebody is riding your butt. That's when you "rock it" in first, DON'T USE THE BRAKE, and hope they quickly figure out you're in a manual. Aside from that, I will take a stick over an automatic any day - I don't like my cars driving themselves, LOL.

P.S. I love the idea of a "warning - I'm driving a stick" bumper sticker! Maybe then people would back off my arse on those hills.......

Old 06-09-2009, 12:24 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Ditto the bumper sticker idea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland