Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 09:27 PM

179 posts, read 412,105 times

Advertisements

What is the current status on the availability of section 8 housing in the bay area? I am considering relocating from Iowa city circa mid next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 09:40 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlyoung123 View Post
What is the current status on the availability of section 8 housing in the bay area? I am considering relocating from Iowa city circa mid next year.
I think it depends on what county -- but in general people wait at least a couple of years on the list to get housing, and the housing lists are only opened for a limited time throughout the year... so it's very hard to get.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:26 PM

Default Are many landlords accepting section 8?

I should have phrased that question a little better. Sorry. What I meant to say was. Are many land lords are accepting section 8 vouchers in the bay area? What I am getting from the HUD office in San Francisco seems a little on the optimistic side. And am curious as to the hurdles I will have to jump through to transfer there. (I am currently on a waiting list for sec 8 vouchers here. And hope to port over there.) I am a 53 year man who had a mild stroke in 2008.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:26 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
That I really don't know.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:19 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
In Oakland there is a very long waiting list and you only get on that by being picked from a lottery that you can only qualify to be a part of if you have small kids or are really old. Otherwise you basically wait for years and years.

At least that's what this couple at church told me yesterday.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:58 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,069,183 times
If you are already in the system you will be able to find plenty of landlords that will take section 8. You might be better off in Oakland or Berkeley as there is more availability in those cities.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:03 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
Quote:
I should have phrased that question a little better. Sorry. What I meant to say was. Are many land lords are accepting section 8 vouchers in the bay area? What I am getting from the HUD office in San Francisco seems a little on the optimistic side. And am curious as to the hurdles I will have to jump through to transfer there. (I am currently on a waiting list for sec 8 vouchers here. And hope to port over there.) I am a 53 year man who had a mild stroke in 2008.
Check with your county first. It's very likely that you may need to live in your county for a year before you can port out. Then you can start thinking about how to port over here. Personally, I'm on the waiting list for another county, so I hope to live there for a year, then port back to Santa Clara County.

Very few places in San Francisco proper accept Section 8. Alameda and Contra Costa counties tend to be more friendly to subsidized housing.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Check with your county first. It's very likely that you may need to live in your county for a year before you can port out. Then you can start thinking about how to port over here. Personally, I'm on the waiting list for another county, so I hope to live there for a year, then port back to Santa Clara County.

Very few places in San Francisco proper accept Section 8. Alameda and Contra Costa counties tend to be more friendly to subsidized housing.
Actually I have lived in my county where I applied. Since 1956.. (Yea that long. Was here listening to the corn grow when the beetles were learning to play the guitar, Vietnam was just some little nation in Asia. And JFK was thinking about running for president.... So I am definitely ready for a little change in scenery...:-) So unless your required to live here on section 8 for a year. I think I am covered.

What is it like in Santa Clara county?

Old 08-03-2009, 02:30 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
Quote:
Actually I have lived in my county where I applied. Since 1956.. (Yea that long. Was here listening to the corn grow when the beetles were learning to play the guitar, Vietnam was just some little nation in Asia. And JFK was thinking about running for president.... So I am definitely ready for a little change in scenery...:-) So unless your required to live here on section 8 for a year. I think I am covered.

What is it like in Santa Clara county?
Again, check with your county. It may be no problem at all but every county has their own rules when it comes to portability.

I think there is a fairly robust selection of Section 8 housing in San Jose. They're often apartments without air conditioning in a town that frequently hits 100 degrees, though.

Old 10-30-2009, 02:05 PM

1 posts, read 11,240 times
Default land/tenant

can my landlord make my apartment a Section 8 unit and request that I live there if I qualify for Section 8???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland