Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 09:46 PM

7 posts, read 13,467 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I know, I know, another one of these threads. Thank you in advance for your help, but I've never been to San Francisco (I know, I know). Anyway, I'm excited to start the next leg of my journey.

I'll be moving to San Francisco in October to start a new gig in the financial district. My pre-tax income is 95K. That should be enough for a single guy to live comfortably, eat out, buy drinks, hang out, go to shows, right?

I'm trying to learn as much as I can about your (soon to be my) fine city. I would like to live in the coolest, most fun neighborhood so that I can go out a lot and meet all sorts of people. I'm 23, fun, love to eat out, love to drink out, love meeting people and pretty girls. I'm probably going to look to share a group house or so on craigslist (so i can meet people, since I don't really know anyone).

Where should I live? Ideally, I'd like to be able to walk to work (on Market Street) and home. Living in DC, I'm pretty adept at street smarts and all that, but I would like to be somewhere reasonably safe. Everything I've researched points to North Beach, but will that get me the hustle and excitement of a place like the East Village in NY? Will any place? I've also heard good things about the Marina, but then I can't walk to work, right? I hear SOMA is cool, but it looks like a construction zone right now on Streetview, and I don't know how much "culture" there is there.

I don't plan on having a car (don't want one, and haven't had one for years).

Any thoughts?

As a bonus, does anyone have any good blogs to read about random goings on in the neighborhoods? I've been reading SFist, but DC has well-developed neighborhood blogs that comment on everything going on, from culture, politics, business, whatever, and I can't find that in SF yet. I find it gives me a great idea of the hood.

Thanks so much everyone -- I look forward to joining you and loving the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 10:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,773,471 times
Look into SOMA, Castro/Upper Market, Nob Hill, Cole Valley,

for reading, here are a few:

San Francisco Bay Area; News, Sports, Business, Entertainment, Classifieds: SFGate
Curbed SF : The San Francisco Neighborhoods and Real Estate Blog
Eater SF : The San Francisco Restaurant, Bar, and Nightlife Blog

Old 08-09-2009, 11:49 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
The Marina has a ton of young people who like to hit the neighborhood's many trendy bars and restaurants. I'd at least give it a look while you're here. You wouldn't be able to walk to work (well, you could, but it's a long walk), but it's an easy commute by bus.

If you're looking for excitement and hustle then the Mission might be an option, too.

You should be fine on your own in SF with that salary. It's expensive in SF, more expensive than in DC, but that's a high enough salary that assuming you don't have huge amount of debt you will be able to live somewhere nice and still have money left over to fully enjoy being young and single in the city.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:45 AM

3 posts, read 6,049 times
Hi there,
I posted something similar yesterday and my criteria ( exept for my salary of course) is similar to yours. So since nobody replied to my thread to give me an advise regarding my neighbourhood search I would be glad if you can share later what did you find most suitable.
Thanks

Old 08-10-2009, 05:51 PM

7 posts, read 13,467 times
Thank you for your replies thus far -- keep'em coming!! The links have been very helpful.@doinsl: I will definitely let you know. I'll be in SF next week and hopefully will gather some additional data points. Thanks!

Old 08-10-2009, 10:33 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,609,068 times
Being single and with that salary, I'd say all you have to do is make a trip to San Francisco and see what neighborhood you like the best! You shouldn't have any problems finding something.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:35 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
Don't worry about Street View, it's always a couple years out of date. Those construction zones are probably all done now, though there is going to be a huge project to revamp the Transbay Terminal at Mission & First. If you want to walk to work, that's going to be the best place. Walking to Market from North Beach on a daily basis would really test your legs!

Old 08-11-2009, 09:39 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,011,651 times
see also:
San Francisco Bay Guardian : Home Page
San Francisco News, Events, Restaurants, Music

also, what neighborhood(s) are you moving from in DC, district2SF and doinsl?
I used to live there, and I wonder if you are looking for comparable neighborhoods as well, I think I might be able to help you out better that way....

Old 08-11-2009, 11:43 AM

3 posts, read 6,049 times
To Bellalunatic:
I am moving to SF from Eastern Europe. I used to live in MD back in 2004 &2005 near Washington DC , but I am not lookig for something comparable. I shall be working near SF Museum of Modern Art and I need to find an affordable place in walking distance or by BART. I guess most convinient should be SoMa however it's pretty expensive over there having in mind my salary and the fact I shall be living alone. I would like to find an apartment or studio for about 1000 per month and in a so to say safe neighbourhood. I like going out and meeting new people so restaurants and shops around would be good for me as well.
Do you have any idea how I could secure the rent of an apartment over internet? I do not currently posses an american bank account and I don't know how to check my credit history but I would like to know that I will have a place to stay when I arrive? Any suggestions? Thanks

Old 08-11-2009, 01:22 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,011,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doinsl View Post
To Bellalunatic:
I am moving to SF from Eastern Europe. I used to live in MD back in 2004 &2005 near Washington DC , but I am not lookig for something comparable. I shall be working near SF Museum of Modern Art and I need to find an affordable place in walking distance or by BART. I guess most convinient should be SoMa however it's pretty expensive over there having in mind my salary and the fact I shall be living alone. I would like to find an apartment or studio for about 1000 per month and in a so to say safe neighbourhood. I like going out and meeting new people so restaurants and shops around would be good for me as well.
Do you have any idea how I could secure the rent of an apartment over internet? I do not currently posses an american bank account and I don't know how to check my credit history but I would like to know that I will have a place to stay when I arrive? Any suggestions? Thanks
I sent you a direct message, please look for it!
I wish I could help on the credit check front but I'm afraid i've never rented to someone that was not an American citizen at the time...maybe someone else know how to go about it here? anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland