Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,229 times

Advertisements

I grew up in San Rafael and my mother and brother both lived in the canal for many years. I grew up in a safer area but I have been there to visit many times. Here is my input. The canal is crazy densely populated making street parking nearly impossible, so bad in fact that my mom rented out her carport space for $100 a month. The population is mostly Hispanic and many people do not speak a lot of English there. I personally do not mind being a white minority myself, I lived in Watsonville for 6 years which was also a mostly Hispanic and low income area but I loved it there. That being said I would never live in the canal. I felt safe enough walking around in the day but I would not feel safe walking at night there. Neither my mother or brother were ever messed with there but they also did not love or even like it. Also nearly every time I visited I would walk by multiple cars that had smashed windows. I know when I was in middle school a young girl was gang raped there as well. That's my opinion and as someone thinking of moving to Oakland I do consider myself open minded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 08:27 PM

592 posts, read 827,882 times
I'll give you my honest opinion about the Canal district, which I travel to often to eat Mexican food and go grocery shopping. Yes, the area is almost exclusively Latino, but that doesn't make it "dangerous." I am White, upper-middle income, and have walked the streets of the Canal for a dozen years and never once had a problem. NOW, that doesn't mean that if I was a woman that I'd want to walk it alone at night. There is crime. There is drug dealing, car break-ins, some gang activity and the occasional stabbing or shooting. You do see gang graffiti, especially 18th Street and Sureno(X3) graffiti. But the neighborhood is mostly made of very friendly, hard working new immigrants. To say its dangerous is silly. But to say that its a completely peaceful neighborhood that doesn't suffer some of the typical problems associated with lower income neighborhoods is also silly.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:46 PM

45 posts, read 55,072 times
Default San Rafael Yacht Harbor

Hey everyone. I'm a pacifica homeowner seeking a drastic downsize and was checking craigslist for houseboats. Found a very cute one for sale but it's located in San Rafael Yacht Harbor on Francisco Blvd. The Google Arial Maps / Satellite of this "Yacht Harbor" look horrible. Looks more like a junk yard from above. Hugely industrial. Cramped boats. Probably noisy and full of oil, gas, paint, and other chemical fumes. Yes/No? Please discuss before I waste gas/bridge toll to check it out in person. Thanks, Amy

Old 02-03-2014, 02:58 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,496,243 times
Would you be required to stay at the San Rafael Yacht Harbor? The area is not very appealing at all. It's a mix of dirty apartment complexes and industrial businesses. Marin has a very peculiar definition of "mixed use"; the Canal is the one place where you can live in an apartment right next door to an auto body repair shop. I work very close to the Canal and do not find the neighborhood unsafe or troublesome. It's just incredibly ugly and somewhat dirty. Honestly, I would never set foot in the area if it weren't for the fact that my job is nearby, but YMMV.

P.S. Ironically, perhaps, Marin City is more dangerous than the Canal but much more visually appealing. Go figure!

Old 06-12-2014, 08:38 PM

592 posts, read 827,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyvegan View Post
Hey everyone. I'm a pacifica homeowner seeking a drastic downsize and was checking craigslist for houseboats. Found a very cute one for sale but it's located in San Rafael Yacht Harbor on Francisco Blvd. The Google Arial Maps / Satellite of this "Yacht Harbor" look horrible. Looks more like a junk yard from above. Hugely industrial. Cramped boats. Probably noisy and full of oil, gas, paint, and other chemical fumes. Yes/No? Please discuss before I waste gas/bridge toll to check it out in person. Thanks, Amy
The Yacht habor on Francisco Blvd is complete garbage. I doubt you have, but don't waste your time checking it out- not that the 40 minute drive should be a problem, but because it is a dump. The canal those yachts are on is ugly and yes, it is industrial. San Rafael has some awesome yacht communities though when you head towards China Camp.

Old 08-12-2016, 01:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,353 times
I grew up in Canal..... and let me tell you something..... this community is exactly that.... a community of families and people trying to live a better life.... Marin county is self absorbed and entitled. Sure its beautiful.... and oooh theres money. Oh wow. Big ****in deal. I am a caucasion woman who.is proud to have grown up in this community. Because it taught me how to be humble and appreciate the small things in life. To work hard for what i want. Yeah theres crime.... you dont like it, stay away. How dare people put down these people who actually make Marin thrive. Yall hire em to raise your kids..... because you dont have time for your own children. While these people see their families everyday. Put food on the table that they worked hard for. The people of Canal are generious and kind. And help eachother out. Maybe if yall got out of your own selves, youd recognize this. I went to college and supported myself and my mother since her health went bad. I know what its like to work hard. And worry about where my next meal is comming from. Maybe this county shouldnt be so quick to judge. Mow your owndamn lawns, you yuppie marinites!

Old 09-02-2017, 12:45 AM

522 posts, read 736,066 times
It's no worse than Monument Blvd in Concord. San Rafael has a low crime rate. There are several years where the city hasn't recorded a single homicide. So, no, don't fear the Canal neighborhood. This is Marin County. These people are scared of everything.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:27 AM

102,187 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Keep in mind, Marin is the wealthiest county in the nation. There is a definite bias against people who work in service or construction, which the majority of male workers do in that area. I wouldn't worry about crime in the area. I don't know about condos in lower-income areas, though. Pack your patience for sure if you want to go that route.
There's a bias against people who work in service and construction? What, Marin residents don't need service or an occasional home remodel?

Old 09-02-2017, 09:31 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There's a bias against people who work in service and construction? What, Marin residents don't need service or an occasional home remodel?
I wouldn't be surprised to see those people get pushed out to outlying areas and that area become gentrified as it seems like a good location with "reasonable" prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland