Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2009, 01:33 PM

2 posts, read 3,705 times

Advertisements

I'm considering relocating for a job in Santa Rosa. I'd like to live in San Francisco and commute to work. I've worked 50-55 miles from home before, but I want to understand what I may be getting myself into if I did this in the Bay Area. I'd like to hear from those who've been there.

I want to take public transportation north from San Francisco to Santa Rosa in the morning and south in the evening.

I know carpooling is always a possibility, but I'd prefer a train or bus that runs on a regular schedule. That way, if my plans change and I have to go in early or work late, I don't mess up anyone's plans.

The only public alternative I've found is Golden Gate Transit and it's slow (averaging about 25 MPH). Plus, the first bus doesn't cross the bridge until 7:43 AM. That would put me at work around 10:00 AM -- much too late!

I have two questions:
1. Is driving really the best alternative?
2. If I do end up driving, how early would I need to be on the Golden Gate Bridge to be working in Santa Rosa by 7:30-8:00 AM?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 02:57 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,725,748 times
Golden Gate Transit (both bus and ferry) are your only public transit options. Even though you'll be going counter-commute, it's still a terrible commute. And a bus can go only as fast as the rest of the traffic. From the Golden Gate bridge to anywhere in SF, it's all city streets. Construction work on replacing Doyle Drive (the SF approach to the Golden Gate bridge) is to start soon and will probably last a couple of years.

You might want to think about living in Santa Rosa or surrounding area.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:11 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
A common rule in California and especially congested areas like SF and LA/OC is to live as close as possible to your job. There are always exceptions to this rule: schools near job suck, family, bought a house and can't relo...but if you can help it, live near work. When a bridge is involved, don't cross it in rush hour.

If I were you, I would live in Santa Rosa and head into SF on the weekends. Why waste life in a parked vehicle?

Old 09-22-2009, 10:03 PM

2 posts, read 3,705 times
Dear Humboldtrat and Mach50,

That's good advice and I think I already knew it on some level. I once had a job where I commuted 65 miles across some of Orange County and all of LA, twice a day for three years. I always swore I wouldn't do that again -- what a waste of life!

I think you brought me to my senses. Thanks.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:38 AM

3 posts, read 7,004 times
Living in Santa Rosa is too close to living at work. Try Sonoma valley. It is a 20 to 30 minute commute through nice country. The commute to and from the city, even the reverse commute, takes up too much of life!

Old 11-06-2009, 04:26 PM

23 posts, read 163,030 times
Too close to living at work? That makes no sense. Sonoma valley is picturesque, but there's nothing to do there except drink wine and go hiking. The drive from Santa Rosa to SF isn't bad, outside of rush hour. It takes me about 50 minutes from Santa Rosa to just across the GG bridge.

Public transportation from Sonoma County to SF is a joke, don't even try it.

You can compromise, and live somewhere in between, like Petaluma or Marin County, but your housing will be more expensive. Santa Rosa's a nice city, close to nature and SF, not as insanely expensive as the east or south bay, and has most of the shopping you're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland