Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2009, 02:22 PM

21 posts, read 37,814 times

Advertisements

Hi ,
We are a franco-americain couple currently living in chicago (close by burb: evanston) and are looking to settle down somewhere.
We like chicago for certain reasons but it does not seem that great of a fit for us (especially me).. too midwestern. not dense enough.I guess I miss Paris.

we are considering: staying in chicago for a little longer for financial reasons, moving to south france where I am from in a smaller city, or moving to SF.

We really thought SF was for us given that it is a good middle point if we stay in the USA. (especially since we are really not so into owning a home )however 2 things still bother me:
the idea of making a conscious move to a broke state with high likehood of earthquake, it seems crazy...?
and
the fact that I cant seem to find the right neighborhood.
I thought berkeley would be it, but was not in love. I really need something more dense.
I love being near the water (as right now we are) and the 4th district was nice but tiny.
Is there similar neighborhood but much more dense and bigger inside SF?
where I could do everything walking. I am not big on driving.
ideally my perfect neighborhood would be near the water, with great transportation, gourmet food stores, bakeries etc.., cooking classes, great choice of restaurants, a farmers market and pottery classes
Does that ring a bell to anyone?
It sounds crazy to me

SF seems to have a lot of what I want, but for a great financial cost. I am probably ok with that as long as it is really the place I am looking for. Obviously we will keep taking trips there and experience it ourselves, but pointers would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 02:27 PM

35 posts, read 158,937 times
Alameda?

It is near the water, doesn't have great transportation but is very walkable (and is small enough to bike everywhere and has the bus), has some gourmet food stores, bakeries etc.., has a choice of restaurants, and some fun classes you could take as well.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:46 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,725,748 times
In San Francisco (the second densest city in the US after New York City) check out the Marina Green or North Beach neighborhoods San Francisco's Marina Green and the Presidio Park or North Beach - Little Italy - San Francisco Both are compact neighborhoods with good public transportation, lots of stores, restaurants, coffee shops, etc. You will find these areas to be more expensive than what you are use to in Chicago. I hope you have a job lined up before you come here.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:22 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,383,389 times
Marina District, Russian Hill, Telegraph Hill, North Beach are great districts where you can walk to bars, restaurants, stores etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland