Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2009, 06:39 PM

830 posts, read 2,711,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
You didn't get out much?
So please tell me, what were these wonderful places I was missing out on, or missing the good parts of? Antioch? Vallejo? El Cerrito? Hayward? Orinda?

Nah, gimme Oakland anyday.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:50 PM

830 posts, read 2,711,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
the quote was a comment concerning the how localized homicides are in oakland. ... there is always crime in city life but in my opinion oakland has less of the random wackjob stuff which seems more of a risk to me personally than these guys who keep shooting at each other at the same easily avoidable street corners .
Oh, I agree with you. I was just pointing out that even if you DO hang out in those areas, if you mind your own business and don't wrap yourself up in dangerous situations and with unstable people, you're still reasonably safe. No one ever had any reason to assault or shoot me, and no one ever did.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:05 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,155,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcats View Post
No one ever had any reason to assault or shoot me, and no one ever did.
Sure there are reasons to assault you. Your wallet for one. If your a woman, then some might target you sexually. Thats an incredibly naive thing to say. Its a mistake to think your going to be safe in an otherwise unsafe areas just because your not involved with the criminal element there. I would'nt even take this attitude in SF or Berkeley. Let alone Oakland.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:11 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
Sure there are reasons to assault you. Your wallet for one. If your a woman, then some might target you sexually. Thats an incredibly naive thing to say. Its a mistake to think your going to be safe in an otherwise unsafe areas just because your not involved with the criminal element there. I would'nt even take this attitude in SF or Berkeley. Let alone Oakland.
It also depends on what time of day. Even the most dangerous neighborhoods are fine during the day. I've noticed that all over.

Most of the crimes seem to occur late nights. Sounds vampirish but there are a few specific parts of Oakland I wouldnt want to go into late nights specifically because I fear for my safety. I'll admit that.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:26 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,579 times
Yep. I've done a few ride alongs and have heard the same things. ALong with

- People dumping their trash in Oakland in a place they "think" is isolated. You would be surprised to find out where some of these folks come from to do this. Take your behind to the dump.

- People from the "suburbs" that come to Oakland for their drugs and prostitution. Do that crap in your own community

- People that work for the city or county pulling 6 figure salaries while living about not living in Oakland. Live where you want, but let's not disparage the place that pays you enough to be in the top 10% of wage earners in the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Don't forget Oakland has a population of 400k+ and it is just natural to have a greater in number offenders due to size.

If you really want to know one of the biggest pet peeves of Oakland residents and one that get almost no coverage is law enforcement routinely releases criminals from anywhere in the County within Oakland city limits...

I've gone on numerous ride-along programs with law enforcement and this is the sad truth... Oakland is used as a dumping ground for other areas...

While I'm on the subject... I have caught and called the police on people that live in San Leandro and Hayward dumping trash at vacant Oakland homes... I said caught as in Red Handed.

Why would people from neighboring communities even think this is an option...

Or how about the mother of a co-worker that lives in Castro Valley that took a family of stray kittens and released them near the coliseum?

Seems perfectly otherwise "Law Abiding" citizens have no qualms about using Oakland as their own personal toilet.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:27 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Most of the crimes seem to occur late nights. Sounds vampirish but there are a few specific parts of Oakland I wouldnt want to go into late nights specifically because I fear for my safety. I'll admit that.
Typically, these are neighborhoods you have no business frequenting unless you too are up to no good.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:50 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
So please tell me, what were these wonderful places I was missing out on, or missing the good parts of? Antioch? Vallejo? El Cerrito? Hayward? Orinda?

Nah, gimme Oakland anyday.
Haha good one. Antioch? EW! Vallejo? no thanks. Hayward, I lived there briefly...boring. El Cerrito and Orinda are ok. Just not a whole lot going on there. So yeah I'm with you. Oakland has something for everyone,,,seriously it does.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:52 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Oh, I agree with you. I was just pointing out that even if you DO hang out in those areas, if you mind your own business and don't wrap yourself up in dangerous situations and with unstable people, you're still reasonably safe. No one ever had any reason to assault or shoot me, and no one ever did.
That's very true. In Oakland, if you don't bother anyone they generally don't bother you. San Francisco is a different story. I feel fine in Oakland after dark but SF is downright scary at times.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:03 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Good observations. The bold part has a reason behind that as well. Because Oakland is the county seat, it tends to concentrate the criminals there as the main jail and courhouse are there. County seats often have higher crime rates just for this very reason. Martinez is perhaps worse than it should be (although in Contra Costa Co. Richmond takes the cake).
Exactly... thanks for putting is concisely...

Old 12-01-2009, 08:06 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
It also depends on what time of day. Even the most dangerous neighborhoods are fine during the day. I've noticed that all over.

Common correlation is most criminals are nocturnal... and expect double trouble if there happens to be a full moon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland