Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2009, 12:05 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,069,183 times

Advertisements

Baldwin Hills, Crenshaw, and Inglewood use to be all mainly white populated areas.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:09 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,069,183 times
No need to call the aunt here is some back up:
Baldwin Hills, Los Angeles, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-01-2009, 12:21 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Oakland is a SHAME. It's where my parents grew up and SHOULD be a world class city due to it's location but it's not. Although there are some nice areas I've just been avoiding it my entire life. Except for an occasional outing to the Coliseum or Arena for an event it's just not worth bothering with. There are too many other places in the Bay Area to go that have everything Oakland has minus the ghetto parts. The murders...mostly gang bangers killing other gang bangers and such. I live in a suburb about 30 minutes away and about 90% of the crime in my area is committed by people from Oakland. It's a tough to break some stereotypes when they are so in your face all the time. Sometimes I just wish we could wipe it all away and start from scratch because these problems CAN'T be fixed.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:25 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
I'm almost positive it was Black from the start. But right now, I'm going to place a call to a great aunt and ask her.

ETA: I may be wrong. I spoke to her daughter and they moved there in the 50's. Not sure what was going on prior to the 50s.
Found this interesting tidbit from Wiki(so lets take it with a grain of salt)
African Americans make up approximately 78.5% of Baldwin Hills' population in zip code 90008,[5]. It is one of the wealthiest majority-black areas in the United States. Prior to 1965, it was known as "Pill Hill" because a large number of doctors were believed to live there. After African Americans began moving into the area, it was given nicknames such as the Golden Ghetto and the Black Beverly Hills.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:29 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,631,920 times
There you go. She's in her late 60's so for me that's close enough. I didn't ask her for details on what the area was like as a little girl.

Let's split it half and make it 1960. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Found this interesting tidbit from Wiki(so lets take it with a grain of salt)
African Americans make up approximately 78.5% of Baldwin Hills' population in zip code 90008,[5]. It is one of the wealthiest majority-black areas in the United States. Prior to 1965, it was known as "Pill Hill" because a large number of doctors were believed to live there. After African Americans began moving into the area, it was given nicknames such as the Golden Ghetto and the Black Beverly Hills.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Oakland is a SHAME.
I love it.

Quote:
It's where my parents grew up and SHOULD be a world class city due to it's location but it's not.
Oakland has squandered lots of opportunities. Thats true.

Quote:
I live in a suburb about 30 minutes away and about 90% of the crime in my area is committed by people from Oakland.
Do you have any evidence of this?

Quote:
It's a tough to break some stereotypes when they are so in your face all the time.
Whose in your face all the time?

Old 12-01-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
There you go. She's in her late 60's so for me that's close enough. I didn't ask her for details on what the area was like as a little girl.

Let's split it half and make it 1960. ;-)
Okay.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:35 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,290,693 times
Quote:
Oakland is a SHAME. It's where my parents grew up and SHOULD be a world class city due to it's location but it's not. Although there are some nice areas I've just been avoiding it my entire life. Except for an occasional outing to the Coliseum or Arena for an event it's just not worth bothering with. There are too many other places in the Bay Area to go that have everything Oakland has minus the ghetto parts. The murders...mostly gang bangers killing other gang bangers and such. I live in a suburb about 30 minutes away and about 90% of the crime in my area is committed by people from Oakland. It's a tough to break some stereotypes when they are so in your face all the time. Sometimes I just wish we could wipe it all away and start from scratch because these problems CAN'T be fixed.
You're pretty ignorant.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:27 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,786,132 times
Quote:
you are a moron. the idea that gang bangers are driving to a suburb 30 minutes away to commit 90% of the crime in said suburb is just stupid.
please supply the data to back up your statement.what a tool.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:26 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,290,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
you are a moron. the idea that gang bangers are driving to a suburb 30 minutes away to commit 90% of the crime in said suburb is just stupid.
please supply the data to back up your statement.what a tool.
Not to mention Oakland doesn't have a large gang population aside from Surenos and Nortenos. Gangs are not the main cause of crime in Oakland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland