Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 12:05 PM

89 posts, read 381,640 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

My husband and I will relocate to Bay area, as I received a job offer there. My new company will position me either in their Palo Alto or Menlo Park office.

We are looking for a 2+ bedroom house and we are only looking for a single family home house (not townhome or condo - we are living in one and we've had many unpleasant experience sharing a wall(s) with our neighbor(s)).

Our price ceiling is about 850K and after doing some quick research in housings in Palo Alto / Menlo Park areas, we decided that we just could not afford a decent house in these areas.

What we're looking for are:

(1) Decent commute to/from my job in Palo Alto or Menlo Park (my definition of "decent" would be 20-30 mins drive one way -- I understand it could be worse with rush hour traffic)
(2) Good / safe neighborhood with good parks closeby (I am a runner and I would love a neighborhood with nice jogging trails)
(3) I would love a neighborhood with good walk score, but it's not a must.

Oh, btw, we do not have any kids yet, so we are not concerned with good school district or such.

We would greatly appreciate it if you guys could provie us with some good neighborhoods for us to check out.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 02:41 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,721,644 times
Go for San Carlos, the western half of Redwood City, or south of Palo Alto, check out Mountain View. It's all nice middle class suburbia.

$850K should get you a nice house in these areas. Real estate hasn't suffered all that much on the mid-peninsula in the last 2 years and is holding up pretty well. You might be able to find a 2 bedroom house for $650 or thereabouts.

This site is for San Carlos housing: San Carlos Real Estate Blog, San Carlos Real Estate and Neighborhood News

Old 10-11-2009, 09:39 PM

Thanks humboldtrat!
I will definitely check out those areas you suggested. Also, thanks for the link.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:53 PM

9 posts, read 19,174 times
West of Palo Alto / Menlo Park, I like the trails along Alpine Road.

I'm not much of a jogger, I'm more of a hiker (not hitchhiker.) Occasionally, I pull over to let joggers through, so check out what's available up to Skyline Road.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:53 PM

13 posts, read 51,211 times
I was going to suggest San Carlos with a great little downtown, parts of Redwood City, Belmont and San Mateo. Email if you want more info.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:36 AM

Thank you both very much! We will check all those areas!

Old 10-27-2009, 10:59 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,395,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
Go for San Carlos, the western half of Redwood City, or south of Palo Alto, check out Mountain View. It's all nice middle class suburbia.

$850K should get you a nice house in these areas. Real estate hasn't suffered all that much on the mid-peninsula in the last 2 years and is holding up pretty well. You might be able to find a 2 bedroom house for $650 or thereabouts.

This site is for San Carlos housing: San Carlos Real Estate Blog, San Carlos Real Estate and Neighborhood News
Also, Redwood Shores, Foster City, Belmont and the SWern part of Sunnyvale are within that price range.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:16 PM

Thanks BayAreaHillbilly for your inputs! We'll check'em out!

Old 10-27-2009, 06:38 PM

2 posts, read 15,006 times
lets be honest, there are parts you don't want to live. East Palo Alto, east (of 101) Menlo Park, and near downtown Redwood City. i lived in San Mateo and Foster City and loved it. downtown San Mateo, west of the train tracks, is nice plus you have Crystal Springs (gorgeous) nearby. north of Mountain View will be cooler in the summer and a long shot is Fremont. i know, its "east bay", suburban, and hotter but you could get *alot* of house for $850K, the commute is about 20 mi, and the east bay regional parks are nice (Coyote Hills, Don Edwards, Mission Peak, Ardenwood, etc.) some nicer neighborhoods are near Lake Elizabeth, Ardenwood, and Mission San Jose. good luck.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:28 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,714,615 times
We had the same issue last year. We had work in Menlo Park. We choose Fremont, just across the bridge but turns out we hated Fremont.
I would say try San Jose and get a place close to the Train for a quick and painless commute. I did enjoy the San Jose side better. It seeemed cleaner. What about coupertino? Just avoid East Palo Alto. Even the cops say it is bad. One side of the road is Menlo, other is East PA. You dont want to be on the wrong side of the road!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland