Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 02:33 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
Ive done NYC and Nashville and have heard such bad things about LA...

We may end up having no choice and going to one of them, but I'm not letting go until I have to....

Not sure what you mean by that exactly. Where do you live now? Is your only reason to move to be with your BF? I guess I'd look at it from a rather base perspective. SF and California cities are pretty transient places. Most people move in, get serious, get married, and if they decide to have a family they move out. So even if you moved there and didn't find exactly what you were looking for professionally, you'll probably move later anyway.
That's a rather sweeping generalization, don'tcha think? I've been here since age 6 (I'm now 30), and the majority of my childhood friends are still living in the Bay Area... the neighborhood where I live now, in southeast San Francisco, has mostly long-time residents & REAL natives! Sure, we're more transient than a small town in the Midwest, but it's not like everyone leaves the second they "grow up" (and/or marry). And I think San Francisco in particular keeps people here, because we fall in love with it & can't imagine living anywhere else - I tried for a while, and came right back after college.

As for the original question, I'm actually a musician, but of the classical variety... it's true, we don't have a "hopping" scene compared to NYC, Nashville & LA, but there are still plenty of opportunities. I'll do a little research, and get back to the thread when I've found something. Btw, would he (original poster's boyfriend) consider working in classical music or live theater? If so, he'd be much more likely to find a job in SF.

Last edited by gizmo980; 05-26-2007 at 02:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 11:15 PM

7 posts, read 36,516 times
yes i think he could enjoy it. he is passionate in all things music. he can always keep up his artist management on the side... but his preference i think would to be to have one job that encompasses both his love for music and his love for "artist management"...

if you find anything in your search PLEASE let me know

much appreciated!!!

Old 05-29-2007, 10:47 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,788,257 times
That's a rather sweeping generalization, don'tcha think?

No, it isn't a generalization at all.The fact is that SF IS a transient city... as is NYC, LA, Chicago, and Boston. Prove me wrong if you think otherwise.

And I think San Francisco in particular keeps people here, because we fall in love with it & can't imagine living anywhere else - I tried for a while, and came right back after college.

Actually less than 30% of SF is comprised of natives, so if it is trying to keep people here, or have them come back as you say, then it isn't doing a very good job.

& can't imagine living anywhere else.

I'm not surprised. Then again, I can guarantee that people in just about any other city will tell you the same so that comment is somewhat mute to this argument. Hence the original question remains which is SF a music city? No, not really, which even you partially admit. But, at this point who cares. Move here and try it out. You'll love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland