Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2010, 01:49 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,586,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Same question, second verse!!!!

Let's put it this way: 1-Cali is not in the USA, it is in Colombia so most of us have no idea what the cost of living is there, do you speak Spanish?

Don't have to speak Spanish !!!

2-There are no jobs, can you spell NO JOBS as a basic office worker in SFO and if there were, no you can not live on $20,000. YOu would be good to live on 2 times that much.

Competition is cut throat !!!

3-how many times have you been to California?

It doesn't matter California changes every 2 or 3 years !!!

4-What is a fine artist? Do you draw chalk figures on the sidewalk, do you preform, do you do paintings, what?

You better be ready for the BIG TIME Fine Artist !!!

I am sorry to sound so cyical but I can't believe anyone would even ask if they can move to San Francison making under $20,000 a year. I don't want to even ask where in Texas you life..Most jobs in major Texas cities pay much better than that to good office workers. Oh, now I see you live near Baylor, have you thought about checking out Austin, Dallas or Houston?

You should leap frog from where you are to AUSTIN , DALLAS , HOUSTON
Then out to CALIFORNIA !!!

Are you aware of how many people leave Ca to move to Texas yearly? Obviously you are not. Are you aware, if you were to move to the bay area you will be nowhere near snow. You can get more in Texas than ever in the bay area?
I live in the BAY AREA and it SNOWS every year in the NOUNTAINS and
HIGH HILLS around San Francisco , San Jose and Oakland CA !!!

When you get out here Buy a ONE WAY TICKET back to Texas and pay
one (1) years rent on a safety deposit box at a Bank and place that
Ticket inside of the safety deposit box...There's three Housing Options
for your Pay Level...Lots Of Roomates.....Youth Hostel...YMCA !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 04:32 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
I live in the BAY AREA and it SNOWS every year in the NOUNTAINS and
HIGH HILLS around San Francisco , San Jose and Oakland CA !!!

When you get out here Buy a ONE WAY TICKET back to Texas and pay
one (1) years rent on a safety deposit box at a Bank and place that
Ticket inside of the safety deposit box...There's three Housing Options
for your Pay Level...Lots Of Roomates.....Youth Hostel...YMCA !!!
ok, lived there for 5 years, she is talking real snow and real snow covered peaks for the winter. Texas is pretty much the same, they do get snow or ice storms yearly, just now what she is visualizing like Yosemite. That was my point, not, there is no snow.

Nita

Old 01-14-2010, 04:37 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,476,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
So you know someone who hated Texas, you are not the only person to say that, but for every person who moves from Ca to Texas and can't wait to get back, I would bet there are 10 that love the big ole state..

No place is perfect, Tx has horrible weather for the most part, other than that I can't think of one thing that Texas doesn't offer that would or should be appealing to most people. Again, not everyone mind you. I think we have really gotten off subject on this one. If nothing else the OP has opened up a real debate here.

My feeling, more than anything has more to do with her unrealistic ideas than whether Ca is better than Tx. that is a different story. Probably one would need to live in both places to really understand...For anyone who thinks they want a little more diversity and excitement in their lives and have spent a good part of their lives in a small college town in Texas Austin would be the natural move, before totally relocating. At least I would think so.

Nita
This sounds like good advice. Good post!

Old 01-14-2010, 04:53 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,476,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
Now welcome to religion of extreme environmentalism in CA. Not only will they lecture you non-stop about how more eco-friendly their lifestyle is, they will impose a never-ending list of rules on you and tax you whether you like it or not. SF is the place where BMW, Land Rover and assorted gas-guzzler driving yuppies will lecture you about how your tiny pickup truck is destroying the environment. They will lecture you about the benefits of organic food and wonder why your poor and uneducated self do not buy organic or you don't eat sushi all day long? They will also wonder why you don't enjoy life and drive to Tahoe and Napa every weekend while you are too broke to buy a burrito. They won't tell you that you will go to hell for being a non-christian, but these leftie extremist will sure make your life a living hell unless you have big money. At least the evangelical folks tend to be good at heart and they truly want to help you in their own way, but the later just want to show you how good they are compared to you. FYI, I am not Christian.
Can't you even TRY to make your schizo rants at least SOUND believable? Who do you even expect is going to take you seriously? No wonder you're finding life here to be so miserable. SMH.

Who has actually taken the time to lecture you non-stop about how eco-friendly we are? Not once have I ever had this done to me nor have I seen it done to anyone.

Who drives a gas guzzler and takes issue with little pickups? Or with anyone in regards to the environment? What are you even talking about lol?

So you're poor and can't afford a burrito but you take issue with not having late night food options in your neighborhood? Why should it matter if you're too poor to afford a burrito? You're not going to find much of anything cheaper than that at any of these places.

And who the heck cares whether or not anyone else eats sushi?? And who eats it all day long? I thought according to you you can't even buy food in SF all day long since every single business in the entire City of SF closes by 2PM, so what gives now? You're beginning to get pretty inconsistent with your falsehoods.

I guess the "leftie extremist" (nice grammar btw lol) aren't doing their job then b/c I don't have much money and my life is great!

Of course if my life here was hellish I would move in an instant. The fact that you're still here considering how miserable you are (and how miserable you're trying to convince everyone else here to be) speaks volumes about your judgment.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:08 AM

37 posts, read 105,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhaskar002r View Post
Texas is awful...the people there are bunch of racist basturds especially to non-whites (asians etc.). Its like being a jew in Nazi Germany (speaking of which many Nazi POWs were interned in central Texas). Arrogant, cocky basturds. Its cheap because it sucks. Not all but most native Texans. The transplants are the only reason one can survive there.

The world does not hate USA but ABSOLUTELY HATES TEXAS. Ask any European.

Touche!!!!! Not all are like that but it seems like everyone in power here is a freaking Nazi racist cowboy bush loving church going fascist. Most normal working class people are ok but the cops, teachers, leaders of society down here are intolerant a-holes.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:16 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,478,621 times
Ahh the smell of hate stewing in the pot

The OP's post was a bit on the "off" side, but don't crush the dream.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:33 AM

37 posts, read 105,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
ROTFL!!!!!! OH MY!!! This just keeps getting better and better. WOW!!!! LMAO!!!!

Embellish much

1. If your getting pulled over that much then there MUST be something up. And guess what........ you can get pulled over in ANY state and city for not following the traffic laws . And just to let you know, the police will see you do some minor infraction that is usually not warrant enough to get pulled over but they will just to see if there is anything else they can give you a citation for. We got pulled over in a small town in another state awhile back......... for the bulb over our license plate for being out. Of course they were hoping to find something else but everything was cool and we didn't get so much as a written warning. IT HAPPENS! Get over it. If your getting pulled over that much then you need to look around you and see what is attracting the police to target you. If it is happening to you THERE then it IS going to happen to you in other places.

2. YOU ARE IN A SMALL COLLEGE TOWN! What do you expect. For crying out loud if you think it is bad there then PLEASE don't move to somewhere like Denton. GADS! And if you are saying this stuff about the other cities in the same state you are currently in then you obviuosly have NOT experienced them to any great length. Dallas has PLENTY of culture. If you can't take advantage of what is there if you are indeed an artist then your not going to be able to take advantage of it in any other city no matter what state.

3. FIVE HOURS! How slow do you drive? What route do you take? And "everything is flat", LMAO!!!! Then you really have not seen ALL of Texas. LOL!!!!

4. AGAIN, you are in a SMALL college town where everything revolves around a PRIVATE BAPTIST UNIVERSITY! Heck, stop off anywhere along 35 when school is out and it is like the places are boarded up. What do you expect........

So you have a bachelors degree...........
Where did you get it?
Have you ALWAYS lived in Waco?
Seriously

NO, she is not accurate. It is not that bad. She is in a SMALL city or "large town" that is home to a private Baptist college. It is NOT that bad. Texas is a big state just like California is. You know that life in San Francisco is different than life in San Diego and different in Bakersfield and different in Compton and different in Napa and different in LA and different in the Redwoods and different along Pac 1, etc. You can't throw a big blanket over either state and say that is how it is ALL OVER nor are all people "x".

Sounds more like it is her immediate surroundings that are really coming out and not the ENTIRE state and the people that live in it. I mean, read all of it:
1. Lives in a small college town
2. Has an office job making $10 hr with a bachelors
3. Boyfriend laid off from factory job
4. All of her friends are poor

Take all of this into account and it really is not going to matter what state you are living in with those circumstances and it is going to make one unhappy about everything no matter what.

They go to church "all day"............. ROTFL!!!!!
And once again you live in the same town as a BAPTIST COLLEGE!

--------------------------

I am NOT against people moving and finding a happy place for them and the best place for them to be FOR THEM! I am NOT against going out and experiencing the world. I've seen it. I want my kids to see it. I've done a LOT more than most people. Heck, when I was 21 I was in Eastern Europe and the Soviet Union.......... when it was all communist. No parent with me. Had a blast and a great experience. I want to take my own kids there someday. When I was 24 I had a job offer in D.C. and almost took it. Did some research (before the internet ) and even though I had a job lined up, they offered all relo expenses and help in finding a place it was going to be TOUGH to make it there. The salary was not going to increase but the chances of getting something else were there. I'd have to find a roomie, or 2 but didn't know a single soul there so that would be tough. I weighed my options and ended up finding a better job here. Then I started dating an ex-bf and we soon got married and now have 2 beautiful kids. We are blessed extremely well and get to travel quite often and see the world even more with our kids. Things happen for a reason and I'm GLAD I stayed here and did not move to DC.

She is young so I'm not saying, DON'T DO IT. I'm saying she is not happy where she is and it is really not the fault of the place she is if she is making bad choices THERE. If she continues to make bad choices it is not going to matter where she is. She is still going to get harrassed by the police if she is doing something that draws their attention (if this is even true). She is not going to be happy if she hangs around people that bring her down. She is not going to be happy if she is an artist and in an area that is not very artistic at all. Just saying that a city has got to be better than where she is is NOT the answer. She needs to find out what is going on inside first before she is going to be happy anywhere.

A very good friends son that is in the arts got a job offer in CA a few years ago. He moved from Dallas to the LA area. BUT, he had a place to live GIVEN TO HIM! No lie. And it is 1 block from the beach and a really, really nice place. Whoever got him the job wanted him bad enough that they provided housing for him. Still do and it has been about 4 years now. He is loving it and having a good time. Only has the 1 job to work unlike so many others that move there w/ a dream and can afford the luxury of living a "California lifestyle" without the negatives outweighing it. That does NOT happen for most people. He got lucky. It can happen but it takes a GREAT attitude and outlook to land the really sweet deals.
Ma'am,

I get your points, but Texas is mostly like that. There are more rural areas here than urban. I got my degree at the University of MaryHardin Baylor in Belton, TX (another crappy small town). My fiance didn't get laid off, he was one of the lucky ones. In fact, he is from a small town in California called Valley Springs and from his point of view, small town Cali is way better than small town Texas (In respect to the schools, people's attitudes, leadership, beauty of the land etc.). Sure everyone is entitled to their opinion and everyone has different experiences but that has been my experience. Once you leave Dallas city limits or Ausin city limits, its like hell. I have been all over texas!!!! Every small town is the same. Do you want me to name every city I have been to in this State? ok I will...dallas, wichita falls, tyler, austin, houston, corpus, beaumont, san antonio, galveston, killen/temple/belton, kerrville, fredricksburg, and everything in between multiple times. You must be on crack if you don't think Texas is flat. Ohh the hill country? wow hills.

In regards to the cops: I am a law abiding citizen. I don't get into trouble, do drugs, party. I keep to myself and I am a good driver!! But there have been two occasions where I have been deliberately harrassed by the police. I am just a plain white girl. I drive a ford. Cops here get off on trying to bust people. One of them even called me a liar when I told him I wasn't drinking. They try to intimidate you. You can believe me or not whatever I don't care.

Wanting to move to a better place is the answer!! I know what is inside of me and I know what I want and I don't want Texas so there!

Old 01-14-2010, 09:38 AM

2,404 posts, read 4,403,257 times
I have traveled to Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, Houston and I have never had a problem. I am asian. I did have a family walk out of a restaurant with a disgusted look on their faces when I entered a restaurant in Paradise, California.

It happens everywhere. Luckily in my experience it really doesn't happen often at all. I have travelled all over the country.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:47 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,543 times
I traveled in every corner of the state of TX, I am not white and I have interacted with every cross-section of society in TX and no I never experienced anything that remotely racist. I got pulled over by cops couple of time because I was speeding, it was not because of race! If anything, I think most people will be shocked to find how friendly and welcoming people are in TX.

So, my suggestion to the OP is, if you want to move your poor self to some friendly and welcoming (?) SRO in Tenderloin by all means do so just don't claim you are doing to escape racism in TX.

Somehow I have a feeling that all the social misfits that end up in SF always claim how bad it was back home whether real and imaginary!

Old 01-14-2010, 10:50 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coco1985 View Post
Based on my experiences. Cali has mountains, water, snow, and sunshine. More culture and diversity. People seem more laid back there.

Texas is big, flat and boring. Living next to Baylor, the biggest Christian private school, is like living in conservative religious hell. Everything is based on the good ol' boys club. It's like George Bush's back yard.
You're judging all of Texas based on living in Waco?
That would be like judging all of Cali based on living in the hood.

Op has little credibility given he's lived in Texas his whole life. I've heard the same story over and over...once they actually leave and go see the world a little bit, the appreciation skyrockets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland