Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 12:03 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times

Advertisements

The Mills students I know live on campus... it makes it very convenient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 06:04 PM

10 posts, read 19,449 times
I will have a car and I am planning on having roommates. I would rather not pay more then $700-$800 a month, but I understand it could be a lot more then that depending on the area.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:21 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluze View Post
In response the question above, I will be attending Mills.

I am open to living a little outside Oakland. But I'm also willing to give Oakland a try. I know there is a lot said about the crime and what not but I grew up outside of Cleveland, one of the most underappreciated cities, as long as I'm not putting myself in the heart of it, I think I'll be ok.

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Mills is a great school. Congrats.

I would recommend the nearby Laurel District. It is a relatively safe area made up of bungalows and apartment buildings. There is lots of bus service(even direct service to Downtown SF), a vibrant retail strip along Macarthur Blvd. The area is politically very progressive, the racial makeup is quite diverse as well. Socio-Economically, you will find primarily middle class families and Urban-minded singles there.

Now, directly behind the campus is Seminary Av. I strongly recommend that during late night hours, you stay away from Seminary Av going towards the Bay...the part that goes up the hill where Seminary crosses Macarthur is fine. But as Seminary goes down towards Foothill Blvd down towards International Blvd, it becomes very precarious late nights.

Like I said, daytime is really not bad-for the most part-during the day simple application of street smarts should suffice. You can very easily explore that area during the day and be just fine. Someone I know recently opened a restaurant on Foothill near Seminary that has taken off and is doing really well. But as in horror movies, the vampires come out at night. LOL.

Oh, and on campus, you are basically as free as a bird. Its like you are stepping out of the hustle and bustle of daily city life and into an oasis. Very calm, very peaceful and you are totally safe there.

Also, as Ultrarunner mentioned, living on campus might be ideal for you if you can swing it financially.

Maxwell Park and Frick are two very nice neighborhoods directly adjacent to Mills College but they don't have the sort of vibe your looking for-and there is not enough decent retail in those areas to speak of. They are quite residential.

Anyway,
Good Luck and Welcome to Oakland.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:07 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Mills is a great school. Congrats.

I would recommend the nearby Laurel District. It is a relatively safe area made up of bungalows and apartment buildings. There is lots of bus service(even direct service to Downtown SF), a vibrant retail strip along Macarthur Blvd. The area is politically very progressive, the racial makeup is quite diverse as well. Socio-Economically, you will find primarily middle class families and Urban-minded singles there.
Not to mention the wonderful vets at Oakland Veterinary Hospital at High and MacArthur.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
I will have a car and I am planning on having roommates. I would rather not pay more then $700-$800 a month, but I understand it could be a lot more then that depending on the area.
Anything is possible... I think finding a place that is dog friendly with room-mates will be more of a challenge...

I know decent two bedrooms in a duplex that start at a $1000 and go up from there... Laurel/Dimond area...

Old 05-03-2010, 10:16 PM

527 posts, read 1,577,294 times
Quote:
I actually think you'll have no problem at $800 finding a two bedroom with a roommate. A quick craigslist search shows dog-friendly places for $1400 or less at Lake Merritt. You can try offering to pay more rent to entice more takers with the dog situation (i.e. 725/675).

Old 05-04-2010, 08:21 AM

3 posts, read 5,134 times
I have lived in Piedmont, Emeryville, and West Oakland. Honestly, the only issues I ever had as far as crime was when I lived in Piedmont. My SUV was broken into TWICE in one year in a secured parking garage. Also, my apartment was burglarized. Emeryville is okay, just a bit expensive for what you get (and traffic is horrific). I have lived in West Oakland since 2005 without issues. There are lots of nicely rehabbed Victorians (some single family, many duplexes and triplexes) for reasonable prices. The neighborhood I am in now? Neighbors watch out for neighbors and the one problem person we managed to get out. I would not recommend some parts of West Oakland, but generally, not a bad area. I would say to you to stay as far away from East Oakland as you can.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:37 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,254,100 times
East and West Oakland are both crime infested, just check the crime maps.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
East and West Oakland are both crime infested, just check the crime maps.
The Poster is attending school in EAST OAKLAND.... where do you suggest housing?

Old 05-04-2010, 11:53 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
The Poster is attending school in EAST OAKLAND.... where do you suggest housing?
You might as well be asking a taxi driver in Cairo because both the taxi driver and MrFantastic have the same knowledge of Oakland neighborhoods.

Next to none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland