Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2010, 09:14 AM

36,682 posts, read 67,667,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO -- The second dead grey whale to turn up in San Francisco Bay in less than a month was spotted Wednesday afternoon in the water off of Fisherman's Wharf.

The call reporting the dead whale floating in the bay not far from Pier 39 came in to KTVU at about noon.

Word gradually spread Wednesday afternoon whale corpse drifting in the swells between the Bay Bridge and Alcatraz.

From Pier 39, dozens of gulls could be seen swarming the dead whale carcass floating hundreds of yards away in the bay. Up close, it was possible to see that the birds were feeding on parasites from the body.

Naturalist Michelle Drake estimated the whale could be up to 30 feet long.

She said it did not appear to be a calf and was probably on the tail end of a migration of whales north from Baja to Alaska.

"Most of the time if they die in the wild, they'll go ahead and sink and go into the natural recycling of nutrients that happens,” explained Drake. “To have it here being stuck in the bay, you have to wonder what happened."
Second Grey Whale In A Month Turns Up Dead In SF Bay - News Story - KTVU San Francisco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 09:22 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,549,260 times
It raised its head, saw that it was in San Francisco and went belly up in shock!

Old 05-13-2010, 09:25 AM

36,682 posts, read 67,667,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
It raised its head, saw that it was in San Francisco and went belly up in shock!
It said " I made it to the promised land-now I can die".

Old 05-13-2010, 11:08 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,978,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
wanted to rep you but can't, that was pretty funny!

Nita

Old 05-14-2010, 01:24 AM

3 posts, read 27,153 times
Cool 2nd dead whale

A year or so ago i was at poplar beach in half moon bay and i watched for a few hours something out there i thought it was a boat over turned finally i could see it was a calf and with binoc's i could see a shark fin once in a while it would come in they would drag it out finally it washed ashore it had big holes in it just chewed up very sad to see something that beatiful in that shape and then it sat there cuz nobody really knew what to do i think they towed it back out but it did make me think about ever going swimning ougt there again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland