Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2010, 03:56 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,634,523 times

Advertisements

I'm starting to look at the crime stats, thanks to the links MrFantastic has provided. I'm lucky to be alive. I'm sure I made it out of east oakland just in time.

But what should I do now? East Oakland is so dangerous, I'm not sure how I will ever get someone to buy my home. I need to figure out what I can do for my parents also. They are stuck in East Oakland also.

Please, help. Maybe I can move to San Francisco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Can someone please remind me how dangerous East Oakland is?

I never hear anyone mention it on the news, on the web, or in newspapers.

I feel like someone should be spending hours of their free time looking up crimestats and posting them on an online forum for me to see. I'm guessing that everyone who lives in Oakland has no idea how close to death we all are.

Perhaps someone who lives in a safe, suburban community in Orange county could do this tedious task...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 03:57 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,634,523 times
Are you mocking MrFantastic?

How dare you! He's trying to help!
If someone had helped me before my parents moved to Oakland from Berkeley, I would be much better off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Can someone please remind me how dangerous East Oakland is?

I never hear anyone mention it on the news, on the web, or in newspapers.

I feel like someone should be spending hours of their free time looking up crimestats and posting them on an online forum for me to see. I'm guessing that everyone who lives in Oakland has no idea how close to death we all are.

Perhaps someone who lives in a safe, suburban community in Orange county could do this tedious task...

Old 06-30-2010, 04:02 PM

527 posts, read 1,578,005 times
I suddenly have an urge to go to the PETA message board and post about delicious, delicious bacon. Is trolling contagious?

Old 06-30-2010, 04:08 PM

527 posts, read 1,578,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UPT Oakland View Post
What we need is Robocop as mayor, I feel like every time I take my daughter to Childrens Fairyland I'm going to get shot by the lake. I always keep my M16 locked and loaded because Oakland is a death zone for all residents. Baghdad is like Beverly Hills compared to here. A new Mayor would make the murder rate of Oakland go to zero just like when Jerry Brown was mayor.
That's so sci-fi. You should consult something with actual facts.

Amazon.com: The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead (9781400049622): Max Brooks: Books

Old 06-30-2010, 04:41 PM

205 posts, read 211,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
excuse me. Please don't answer questions for Mr Fantastic. I've read your past comments. You need to pay more attention to the crime stats and get your head out of the sand.

Your opinions are useless to me.
You're right, my apologies, here this will help you, Fear, Death, Murder, Crime, Oakland, Gangs, Drug Dealers, West, East, North, Baghdad, FBI Stats, Fallujah, Paranoia.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:44 PM

205 posts, read 211,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmk1707 View Post
Max Brooks is from New York, his crime perception is skewed. New York is like Blackhawk compared to Oakland. He would not know how to fight zombies like a Clint Eastwood or Tom Hanks, they grew up in Oakland and had to deal with murders and death, vampires and zombies. Yes it was a different Oakland then, but still Oakland, I'm sure the Black Panthers kidnapped both Hanks and Eastwood and beat them almost to death.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:48 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,423,518 times
Quote:
How would they have known his history or why would that matter? It seems like people are using his past history as an excuse to why he was shot. What does that matter, so because of his past history it justifies him getting shot in the back? What are you saying? Meserle got radio'd "You're arresting Oscar Grant Prior felon think fast, react". Cops are trained to treat every random person the same way, as a potential criminal. This was not a pre organized raid where they had a list of background information.
Some people react violently when stopped or questioned by police. Grant apparently had this issue. That's why his background is important to this case.

Again, Messerle screwed up big time and should be punished. But not for murder.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:51 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,423,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
Yes you are justifying the wrongful death. So don't sugarcoat it! The cop did not know Grant's background and his judgment was not based on Grant's background! This was simply a thuggish cop who thought he would get away with overuse of force. He needs to be punished severely so that other cops know that they are not immune from the law and they can't abuse people with impunity. If Mershle is not punished this sends the message to all the cops that its okay to shoot people if you don't like them! PERIOD.

BTW, how do you know that the cop wasn't some kind of racist extremist? Why the heck should we believe him at all? Its not a matter of whether his character is good or bad! He committed murder and should get the maximum penalty for that..
IGNORE (based on both this and many other threads).

Old 06-30-2010, 08:01 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,881,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Some people react violently when stopped or questioned by police. Grant apparently had this issue. That's why his background is important to this case.
That may be the case, but in this situation, they had no knowledge of this to draw off of and so the point is absolutely moot.

Furthermore, I just watched the video again a couple times from different angles. There is absolutely NO justification for what happened. He's wrestled to the ground, beaten, restrainted (with Officer Pirone on his neck), and then shot in the back while still restrained: it's about as clear as day.

Why is it that people are trying to bring Grant's past into this, when it just plain doesn't have anything to do with this particular situation?

Old 06-30-2010, 08:31 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,481,757 times
Quote:
What we need is Robocop as mayor, I feel like every time I take my daughter to Childrens Fairyland I'm going to get shot by the lake. I always keep my M16 locked and loaded because Oakland is a death zone for all residents. Baghdad is like Beverly Hills compared to here. A new Mayor would make the murder rate of Oakland go to zero just like when Jerry Brown was mayor.
Ppppsssshhhhh, M16? You're just asking to get killed with just that in Oakland. I keep an M-60 mounted to my roof with 2 ammo belts around my chest anytime I step foot in Oakland. Even in Rockridge and Temescal - I mean it IS a war zone and all. You really shouldn't leave the DMZ of South Berkeley (you know b/c that area is just sooooo much better since its not Oakland).

Last time I drove through Tha Town I kept 2 of my folks in the back seat w/ Uzis and my mom rode shotgun literally! I can't take any chances when I go to Uptown, Old Oakland or Lake Merritt, you know since its just like Baghdad and all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland