Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 08:48 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,518,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
I agree MANY cops are on power trips and want to let you know they have the power. But that is more of a personality flaw than anything else.
That's not a personality flaw at all. It's the reflection of gun-toting society which believes that violence is a solution to all problems. There are many countries where cops don't carry guns/tasers all the time and they seem to do policing just fine! People keep giving up their freedoms and keep giving more power to law enforcement in every election cycle and they are okay as long victims of overjealous law enforcement are minorities, immigrants and other less desirables. Their freedom be damned!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 10:22 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,253,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
No if you kill someone you have to do some time for your penance. But I think it would determine the AMOUNT of time he will do. If I kill someone with my car intentionally, by negligence, or totally by accident... I should still have to pay for it with some jail time, but for how long should depend on what you are convicted of.
I agree. Either way, I feel this whole incident is just what Oakland didn't need. The city already has one of the highest violent crime rates in the entire country, and has a budget deficit that will see 1/4 of the police force leaving. Now we have a big chance for racial tension to suddenly flare, especially if Meserhle is found innocent.

I wouldn't want to live in Oakland right now (or ever).

Old 06-28-2010, 11:45 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
RE: "Also called Tuesday was Mehserle's former partner BART officer John Woffinden, who said he arrived with the defendant to the train platform and was met with a barrage of profanities and racial slurs by people aboard the train and from some of Grant's friends."

This attitude on the part of the crowd, is similar to the "F___ the Police" song I alluded to. This is the elephant in the room. If there was an unruly crowd and a quasi riot situation on the train and in the station, it's an undeniable extenuating circumstance.

If Grant was clean, then why did he go out with "da boyzzz" on NYE? He had a kid to take care of.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:46 AM

415 posts, read 1,666,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
That's not a personality flaw at all. It's the reflection of gun-toting society which believes that violence is a solution to all problems. There are many countries where cops don't carry guns/tasers all the time and they seem to do policing just fine! People keep giving up their freedoms and keep giving more power to law enforcement in every election cycle and they are okay as long victims of overjealous law enforcement are minorities, immigrants and other less desirables. Their freedom be damned!

Believe me, there are a lot more countries out there that are the exact opposite. If you look at a cop the wrong way or do anything slightly wrong, you and your family are whisked away in the middle of the night and never heard from again. Here in the U.S., we have more personal liberties than 95% of the countries out there.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:54 PM

This is a hilarious video but also a sad commentary on the sad state of affairs with the cops:

YouTube - Michael Moore- The Awful Truth

Old 06-29-2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
RE: "Also called Tuesday was Mehserle's former partner BART officer John Woffinden, who said he arrived with the defendant to the train platform and was met with a barrage of profanities and racial slurs by people aboard the train and from some of Grant's friends."

This attitude on the part of the crowd, is similar to the "F___ the Police" song I alluded to. This is the elephant in the room. If there was an unruly crowd and a quasi riot situation on the train and in the station, it's an undeniable extenuating circumstance.

If Grant was clean, then why did he go out with "da boyzzz" on NYE? He had a kid to take care of.
Are you trying to write a movie script or something??? The cops had no evidence that Grant was the toruble maker? They simply pulled him out of the train based on suspicion and then shot him dead for no reason. Are you just thick or hell-bent on justifying this murder?

Old 06-29-2010, 08:53 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,253,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
This is a hilarious video but also a sad commentary on the sad state of affairs with the cops:

YouTube - Michael Moore- The Awful Truth
I love Michael.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:19 AM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
I am appauled at the attitude by the Anarchists(most of whom are probably not even from Oakland) who are behind much of the threats of destruction and vandalism. I remember sitting in a lunch at the Chamber of Commerce where the speaker said that 70% of the retail establishments in Downtown Oakland are owned by women of color! That is something these idiots who want to riot need to take into account.

Why don't they go and set their own homes on fire instead of destroying other people's property.

I don't agree with 90% of what Chip Johnson says, but he is spot on here:
Still, while there will almost surely be some public reaction to the Mehserle verdict on the streets of Oakland, about the only thing more discouraging to some than absolving the former officer of blame and responsibility would be to vent that anger at the struggling city of Oakland and its residents.

Read more: Bracing for the worst in Mehserle verdict

Old 06-29-2010, 11:36 AM

527 posts, read 1,577,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I am appauled at the attitude by the Anarchists(most of whom are probably not even from Oakland) who are behind much of the threats of destruction and vandalism. I remember sitting in a lunch at the Chamber of Commerce where the speaker said that 70% of the retail establishments in Downtown Oakland are owned by women of color! That is something these idiots who want to riot need to take into account.

Why don't they go and set their own homes on fire instead of destroying other people's property.

I don't agree with 90% of what Chip Johnson says, but he is spot on here:
Still, while there will almost surely be some public reaction to the Mehserle verdict on the streets of Oakland, about the only thing more discouraging to some than absolving the former officer of blame and responsibility would be to vent that anger at the struggling city of Oakland and its residents.

Read more: Bracing for the worst in Mehserle verdict
I remember when the Mehserle thing first came out, it turned out it was mostly troublemakers from other areas (primarily SF) coming to Oakland and starting crap, and a lot of the people interviewed seemed to just have an alarming zeal for violence, and weren't particularly concerned with the issue at hand. Last weekend, someone graffiti'd around Lake Merritt some really odd things, and one of them was "BART hates black people." I was extremely skeptical of that being written by someone who was either black or from Oakland, it seemed more like someone was trolling Oakland residents via sidewalk graffiti.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:50 AM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmk1707 View Post
I remember when the Mehserle thing first came out, it turned out it was mostly troublemakers from other areas (primarily SF) coming to Oakland and starting crap, and a lot of the people interviewed seemed to just have an alarming zeal for violence, and weren't particularly concerned with the issue at hand. Last weekend, someone graffiti'd around Lake Merritt some really odd things, and one of them was "BART hates black people." I was extremely skeptical of that being written by someone who was either black or from Oakland, it seemed more like someone was trolling Oakland residents via sidewalk graffiti.
Its like they think they can get away with it because its Oakland.

I wish the communities in Downtown, around the lake and in other high profile areas of town would meet and plan ways to protect their areas. Maybe put up roadblocks at strategic points and help board up storefronts.

Most of all, I think its important to reach out to the Oaklanders themselves who might be inclined to participate in these antics.

This one rhetoric lady from I think they are called "Justice by Any Means" is quite vitriolic in her commentary on threatening violence and vandalism. Ive seen her on the net a few times and it makes me mad that she can be so coy about damaging the property of innocent people who have nothing to do with this trial at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland