Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 11:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,795 times

Advertisements

The reason the trail was moved to LA, was to get a fair juror right,so I guess they got it, with no black young person in the stands was perfect. That's why the OPD is training for a riot, because they know that Meserhle will be aquitted. That's sad,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 12:20 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,254,100 times
No, OPD is training for a riot because that's a common occurrence in Oakland. A trial "goes the wrong way", there's a riot. The Raiders win the Superbowl, there's a riot. There really is no rational behind an Oakland riot.

As for the Merserhle trial, there is a lot of evidence pointing to him not following proper protocol, and his own supervisor testified that he was trying to hide the fact that he messed up using his gun. He won't be acquitted.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:38 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
It was not an accident and this clown never should have been a cop. And he should get some sort of punishment. That having been written, Grant probably did act, when confronted after the fight, like one of the boyzzzz in NWA's "F da police" video. He used to be a bad boy and it's tough to change into someone who will not react like that when confronted by cops. Of course, in Grant's defense, he was apparently unarmed. What a mess.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:31 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,128,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
To say that Oscar Grant's skin color or demeanor had nothing to do with it is ridiculous.

Demeanor? Maybe, His Color? Maybe. I don't know for sure since I am neither the victim nor the perp. Nothing to do with him being pulled off the train. Well the passengers on the train called for cops. If it was him or his friends I don't know. If it was not him, why didn't a passenger step up and say "These aren't the guys"?

Quote:
The cop looks like an immature bully who grew up in a culturally homogeneous suburb and did not know how to interpret the behavior of urban black youths and neither had any skill in crowd control.
So it is ok to stereotype, project, and make assumptions about the perpetrator(cop), but it is not ok to do the same thing to the victim(Grant)?
I believe that each case, and it's circumstances, is unique. Whenever you generalize you are doing a disservice to everyone.
Quote:

So what does the cop want? Shoot and kill every misbehaving black youth on planet?
Well if that is what he wanted, then obviously he won't be accomplishing that. You really think that?
Quote:

Besides the whole point is we cannot let these thuggish cops on power trip let go their guns lose on innocent citizens. The cops earn big freakin 6 figure salaries in bay area and at the very least we should expect them to act a little more intelligently and professionally.
I agree. He should have stayed home with his pregnant wife. I agree MANY cops are on power trips and want to let you know they have the power. But that is more of a personality flaw than anything else.
Quote:

I am sick of people unwilling to see the injustice done to Oscar Grant and trying to justify this in bizarre ways. You are doing that because you are a RACIST and you probably know that too.
I see there was unjustice. What makes you think I don't see that? But I don't see it as intentional, You can call me whatever you want if it helps you sleep better at night, but I would have to disagree.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAKLAND #1 View Post
The reason the trail was moved to LA, was to get a fair juror right,so I guess they got it, with no black young person in the stands was perfect. That's why the OPD is training for a riot, because they know that Meserhle will be aquitted. That's sad,

I thought it would be a more diverse Jury. I read that there were only 6 black people who showed up for Jury Duty and so that might have lessened the odds of having black jurors. They send out notices all through the county and you can only pick people if they show up.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:22 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,631,920 times
Can we keep a rational mind?

Does someone's race play into how they are percieved? Yes, let's not be naive/dumb and think that it doesn't.

IS the fact that race plays into perceptions make one a racist? No, it makes us human.

Did Grant's race paly into how he was treated by the police that night? Probably. Does that mean that he was shot b/c he was Black? NO. Does it mean that the cop was a racist? No.

Come on people. We can acknowledge our biases with out labeling folks racist. Both sides need to give it a rest and try to understand the opposing view.

As for Mesherle, I tend to be more sympathetic to law enforcement. I really can not imagine that he deliberately shot Grant. If I remember correctly, he looks almost stunned on the video. Given that he was on the job, I'm not sure what will/should happen. Is he protected by his office? I do think the agency that oversees BARTPD should be completely liable.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:18 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,254,100 times
I actually agree with baybook. I don't believe Merherle deliberately shot grant in malice.

Does it matter in terms of whether he should go to prison? Nope.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
I actually agree with baybook. I don't believe Merherle deliberately shot grant in malice.

Does it matter in terms of whether he should go to prison? Nope.
No if you kill someone you have to do some time for your penance. But I think it would determine the AMOUNT of time he will do. If I kill someone with my car intentionally, by negligence, or totally by accident... I should still have to pay for it with some jail time, but for how long should depend on what you are convicted of.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/23989730/detail.html
Posted: 7:54 am PDT June 22, 2010Updated: 10:39 pm PDT June 22, 2010
LOS ANGELES -- A friend of an unarmed black man killed on an Oakland train platform last year testified Tuesday that a white transit police officer cursed in frustration before firing the fatal shot. Jackie Bryson, called by the defense that started presenting its case, gave emotional testimony at the trial of former Bay Area Rapid Transit officer Johannes Mehserle, who has pleaded not guilty to murdering Bryson's friend Oscar Grant on New Year's Day 2009. Bryson gave an account of the fateful events that led up to the shooting, including Grant telling officers that he would surrender. Moments later, Mehserle shot Grant in the back while he was face down on the ground.

"He stands up and says '(expletive) this' and he shoots him," Bryson said of Mehserle, who resigned shortly after the incident. The shooting was captured on video by several bystanders and flared racial tensions that helped lead court officials to move the trial from Alameda County to Los Angeles. A heated exchange in the courtroom came Tuesday as attorney Michael Rains questioned Bryson. Rains played a video taken by a BART security camera that showed Bryson after the shooting walking toward a train as an officer points a Taser stun gun at him. Bryson said he was near Grant against a wall, yelling at his friend to stay awake. "What got you that distance that close to the train?" Rains asked. "My friend just got shot," Bryson, 23, said. "I don't know what I was doing. I was in shock." "You were in handcuffs, right?" Rains asked. "You understand somebody just got shot in front of me for no reason by somebody that is here to protect us," Bryson said. "He's supposed to be the good one. You want to make me look stupid like I'm the bad one? Come on, now."

After jurors left the courtroom for a break, Bryson wiped away tears with a tissue as he spoke with Alameda County Deputy District Attorney David Stein. The defense has contended that Mehserle struggled to handcuff Grant. Bryson, dressed in a navy suit swiveling in a chair on the witness stand, testified that when Grant was taken to the ground he was on his back before being rolled over.

Grant is seen in two videos on his stomach as Mehserle stands over him and fellow officer Tony Pirone has his knee across his upper body. Bryson said he believes Mehserle may have said, '"I'll tase you,"' before shooting Grant. Rains has contended Mehserle mistakenly pulled out his handgun instead of his stun gun. In his opening statement, Rains said Mehserle told Pirone before the shooting, "Tony, Tony, Tony, I can't get his hands. I'm going to tase him."

Bryson's testimony may have been tainted after admitting he has a general mistrust of police -- and even prosecutors -- as well as lying about a fight that brought officers to the Fruitvale station.

However, Bryson testified that he was in handcuffs for more than five hours the morning of the shooting after being detained and claims Pirone, who was fired in April, paid him a visit while he was in a holding cell. "He put his chair up, kicks his feet up and sits there for five minutes with a smirk on his face," Bryson said on cross-examination by Stein. "He kept smiling and laughing." Stein once again showed a photo he says was taken hours after the shooting in which Pirone is smiling.
Pirone, who has been described by some train passengers as being hostile and aggressive toward Grant and his friends, is heard on one of the videos twice using a racial epithet at Grant. Pirone testified last week Grant uttered the same slur first.

Also called Tuesday was Mehserle's former partner BART officer John Woffinden, who said he arrived with the defendant to the train platform and was met with a barrage of profanities and racial slurs by people aboard the train and from some of Grant's friends. Woffinden had been standing in front of the group of men, including Grant, who had been detained after reports of a fight aboard the train. Woffinden said he heard the shot but didn't see what happened.

"At the time, I thought it was a Taser being deployed," Woffinden said. "The sound sounded too muffled to be a gunshot." Woffinden added after the shooting that he looked at Mehserle and tried to reassure him that the officers would handle the situation. "How did he look to you?" Rains asked. "Scared. Shocked. Upset," Woffinden said.

Jurors also heard testimony from a police officer who said Grant resisted arrest during an October 2006 traffic stop and was subdued after being shocked with a Taser stun gun. The panel was prohibited from hearing that a .380 pistol was found about 20 feet from where Grant was arrested, and he was later sentenced to 16 months in state prison for a gun possession charge.

Last edited by Taboo2; 06-27-2010 at 04:05 PM..

Old 06-27-2010, 08:19 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
So it is ok to stereotype, project, and make assumptions about the perpetrator(cop), but it is not ok to do the same thing to the victim(Grant)?
You are just avoiding the truth! If you see a bunch of unruly but well dressed drunk people of the 'right' skin color would you expect cops to aggressively subdue them? I mean there are crazy drunk people in many neighborhood streets in SF (Marina & Mission) and many times there groups of loud, obnoxious, unruly drunk people in Muni during events. What do you think are the chances that cops will get tough on them if they dont look 'urban' or 'ghetto'??? The cops grossly overestimated the threat posed by Oscar Grant because the way he looked and there is no evidence to show he was even fighting! Then the cops instigated them by being abusive and overly aggressive. Why did the cop even want to tase Grant when he was clearly lying on his stomach with two thuggish cops twice his size sitting on him?? So I would have to ask what made these white cops think that Grant deserved such harsh treatment? You can say that they were tough cops but I assume you know very well that the shooting would not have happened if Oscar was white and wearing Dockers! Its unfortunate you fail to see the real issue here..

Old 06-27-2010, 08:25 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
But I don't see it as intentional, You can call me whatever you want if it helps you sleep better at night, but I would have to disagree.
How do you know whats on the cops mind?? I mean he did not show any remorse after the shooting and I am sure he would be getting his 6 figure paycheck from BART unless someone shot the video. All of a sudden during the trial the cops pull this drama? I agree it will be difficult to prove murder but he should get the maximum sentence for being criminally negligent in his duty, abuse of power, brutality and manslaughter. You are portraying this thuggish cop as some sort of saint who just had an accident and maybe you can justify your position. I see the cop as a dimwit, racist on a powertrip and tell me why my thinking is incorrect?? Can you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland