Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 12:48 AM

10,347 posts, read 8,564,711 times

Advertisements

I used to go back and forth from the bay area to Texas. Except for the accent I didn't see any difference in people in both places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 12:56 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,446,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I used to go back and forth from the bay area to Texas. Except for the accent I didn't see any difference in people in both places.
I totally agree with you not one ounce of difference.

I don't have a Texas accent to the people here but my cousins in Ohio and Kentucky think I do (and one meter maid in SF) I really don't sound like a Texan but once in a few words it is detectable.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:29 AM

129 posts, read 405,256 times
I don't have a Texas accent to the people here but my cousins in Ohio and Kentucky think I do (and one meter maid in SF) I really don't sound like a Texan but once in a few words it is detectable. [/quote]

Especially when you say "fixin' to" or "reckon" :-)

Just joking with ya!

I have lived in TX all my life except for attending my Freshman year of college in TN & having lived in CA (San Bernadino) for about a year & a half (and I have done some traveling overseas to the Philippines, Czechoslovakia, etc) & people have always told me I do not sound like I am from Texas. I talk on the phone all day long with my job & people are always surprised I am from TX.

In fact, when I was a kid/teen, people would ask me if I was from New York! What??!!!! I know I did not sound like a New Yorker. I think it's because I have always talked very fast.....especially when I was a kid/teenager/in college. I've slowed down in my speech as I've gotten older.

However, I can do a good Southern drawl if the need arises.

I will admit that I do occasionally utter the phrase "I'm fixin to". :-)

Oh, and I can't leave out "ya'll"! :-)

I've been up all night working, so please overlook any grammar or spelling mishaps.

I reckon I should go to bed & get some sleep now. :-)

Old 06-07-2010, 08:57 AM

101 posts, read 275,599 times
In answer to the original question, people stay in this expensive state for a wide variety of reasons, as they've mentioned: family, roots, definitely natural beauty, great weather, etc. I find living near SF amazing with all it has to offer culturally. I also work down on the peninsula near Palo Alto. The South Bay is another huge ecomonic area with lots going on. Then there's Marin--my personal favorite place to go, the Sierras, Monterey, LA down the road a bit. There is so much to explore here and plenty of things keep the in-laws entertained when they're in town, lol!

But regarding the expense, the only thing I find crazy expensive in comparison to other states I have lived is real estate. We can get a great meal out for under 20 bucks, and our utilities are actually cheaper in some ways because you don't need air conditioning, and minimal heat, etc.

My partner and I rented a reasonable, but small apartment in the city for five years. We saved our pennies and were able to buy a small house in the 'burbs with a mortage we can afford. Perhaps we don't have as much disposable income as we might living in another state, but I think it's to our advantage. Someday down the road, when the house is paid for, we will be sitting on a 600K asset (which may be worth much more if the market returns to normal.) We could then sell it and move someplace inland/cheaper.

The point is, California real estate seems crazy expensive, and I guess it is. But it has made many people wealthy. And despite the bust, it will continue to do so, if you can find a way to get in. The other expensive things about the state, taxes, gas, etc. I think are offset by higher incomes.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:20 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,252,556 times
California is only too expensive for the "wannabees". You know who they are. The ones who spend nearly half their income to live in a "prestigious" McMansion neighborhood. They own 3 cars, all of them European brands, and they live paycheck to paycheck, often with nearly maxed out credit cards.

If you live within your means, California is actually very comfortable.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:00 AM

101 posts, read 275,599 times
If you live within your means, California is actually very comfortable.[/quote]

Totally agree.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:06 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,252,556 times
I think too many people buy into the marketing myth of having to own a huge 3,600 square foot home "for their family".

One of my business partners is a successful day trader and makes enough to be able to afford any neighborhood in Orange County. However he chooses to live in a modest 1,700 square foot home with 3 bedrooms, enough for him, and his two kids. He drives an S40 Volvo, and even cuts his own grass.

That being said, he owns a vacation home in Malta, and another one in Sardinia to be close to his family.

He's not like the McMansion families who stretch everything they have just to "appear" rich. That's why California is too expensive for a lot of people here. They have an overly enthusiastic expectations about what they deserve to own.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:06 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
Although the Bay Area is very expensive, many people could choose to do without many things and be able to have more disposable income. The somewhat pervasive materialism in the region tends to make people think they have less than they really have and that they need more than they currently have.
Well said.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:21 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Quote:
They have an overly enthusiastic expectations about what they deserve to own.
I agree completely. I can remember listening to many friends and family members trying to justify whatever it was they wanted to buy, home wise...car wise...toy wise...etc. I don't care what othere people spend their money on but I never could figure out why the latest gadget or a bigger, newer house was more important than money in the bank and zero debt. Especially when what they already have is what most others aspire to have.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:25 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal44 View Post
But regarding the expense, the only thing I find crazy expensive in comparison to other states I have lived is real estate. We can get a great meal out for under 20 bucks, and our utilities are actually cheaper in some ways because you don't need air conditioning, and minimal heat, etc..
Well, uh yeah, but the thing is...housing costs are by far the largest expense in almost everyone's budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal44 View Post
My partner and I rented a reasonable, but small apartment in the city for five years. We saved our pennies and were able to buy a small house in the 'burbs with a mortage we can afford. Perhaps we don't have as much disposable income as we might living in another state, but I think it's to our advantage. Someday down the road, when the house is paid for, we will be sitting on a 600K asset (which may be worth much more if the market returns to normal.) We could then sell it and move someplace inland/cheaper.
And the 64,000 question is....will you really be willing to move somewhere cheaper when the time comes? Some people are. But a lot of other people aren't, but have all their money in their homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland