Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 03:59 PM

865 posts, read 1,827,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwstrnkid View Post
You should check out Boulder, Colorado. Here's a recent NYT article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/14/bu...14boulder.html

I lived in Boulder for six years (got a PhD at CU) and loved it there.
I was also going to say Boulder, and it's so lovely. It also seemed that aside from SV, every other job in that Dh looked at was Houston, TX. I don't do Texas weather so we never pursued further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 04:26 PM

6,824 posts, read 9,059,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan596821 View Post
Right now, my top choice to relocate is portland. Just have to live with the rain.
I've lived in Austin. It's way too hot, and I don't like the political climate.
My sister lives in Denver. It's too cold. I don't like exercising at altitude.
Raleigh, Durham, or Chapel Hill seems nice. Probably my #2 choice.
I've lived in the San Jose, Eugene (Portland) and Raleigh areas. Have you posted in each of those forums to get a reaction? Portland is an interesting city, but I don't think it's doing well as a tech center. The few major companies are just holding on. Raleigh is very much a pharma/bio-tech center. I know there are some computer startups in RTP. I was surprised at how many biotech firms there are versus hitech.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:48 PM

49 posts, read 116,898 times
Hey zitsky. Thanks for the info. I haven't posted in other forums yet. I'll try the Denver one next. Thanks for the biotech info about Research Triangle. Didn't know that.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:53 PM

Boulder / Denver looks better everyday.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:03 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,011 times
Depends on specific type of tech but many cos., both BigTech and start-ups, stay HQd in SV for various economically rational reasons

Vast majority of world's smartest engineers want to live&work in region, both for its superb QOL and maximal career liquidity if want new employer or want to start own co.
Most of world's top VCs are on SandHill Rd and often prefer to invest in start-ups within 30mins drive, and BigTech often prefers to buy SV start-ups for easier diligence and integration

Examine where world's most valuable BigTech cos. are HQd and where are most promising start-ups that BigTech continually buys
Bos region hasn't created a valuable tech co. in decades and has a puny tech industry, nor has Seattle (or MSFT alums) created anything of significance in 15yrs since AMZN...let alone lesser regions like SD or Irvine or Austin

Tech is a high profit margin industry w/high-income engineers (many of whom are Stanford or Berkeley or IL alums) who probably demand SV location more than COL-obsessed workers not seeking career liquidity, upward mobility and potential equity upsides...but true low-IQ, grunt engineering and back-office stuff can easily be offshored to even cheaper Bangalore anyway...much like Apple makes all its stuff in China, but engineers all work in Cupertino and live in PaloAlto area

Old 07-16-2010, 05:27 PM

Hsv, many good points hsv, but I've already been with one small business that made a decent amount of money. Don't want to have to spend all the money on a house. If my startup fails, I want to have enough money leftover to try to start another one. Don't want to live in a community where it takes 200k/yr and many years for down payment to afford a good house.

I would consider moving to a silicon valley commuter city to start my business. Which cities can you get a modern 5 bedroom house for 300-500k w/ good public schools?

Old 07-16-2010, 05:37 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Quote:
Hsv, many good points hsv, but I've already been with one small business that made a decent amount of money. Don't want to have to spend all the money on a house. If my startup fails, I want to have enough money leftover to try to start another one. Don't want to live in a community where it takes 200k/yr and many years for down payment to afford a good house.

I would consider moving to a silicon valley commuter city to start my business. Which cities can you get a modern 5 bedroom house for 300-500k w/ good public schools?
No where.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:47 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
I find this interesting in a number of ways. You are considering relocating your company both for a more affordable area and a nice place to live. Of course each company will define this last one differently based on corporate culture and demographics. I agree with your assesment of the areas in question. After living in Colorado and working in the High Tech industry I prefer the West Coast. This is not to say that the business climate is bad in CO. I just enjoy life on the West Coast more than living a mile high+, with significantly colder Winters and and longer snow season starting in Sept. lasting into April and May. That is how long the lakes and trails are frozen in the Rockies. Many ppl tend to hibernate during snow season basically going from work, to the gym, to the store, then home. You can't going skiing every day, its too far. And many locals don't ski anyway. Plus the cold is bone chilling, much more so than the CA mountains. It's a quality of life issue really and no place is perfect.

I recommend Portland. The Silicon Forest is a great place to do business. Plus you have the beauty of the PNW right at your doorstep. With the Gorge, Mt. Hood and the rugged PNW coast it's an awesome location for outdoor activity and natural beauty. We almost moved there after living in CO. But proximity to family brought us back to CA. Another consideration is Vanvouver, WA right across the bridge from Portland. We have family who moved there from CA and love it. Also there is no state income tax in WA.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 07-16-2010 at 05:55 PM..

Old 07-16-2010, 05:59 PM

California business relocation list
The Business Relocation Coach: Updated Again: California's Hostile Business Climate -- 129 'Business Disinvestments' (http://thebusinessrelocationcoach.blogspot.com/2010/05/updated-again-californias-hostile.html - broken link)

The Orange County Register likes to report on all the companies leaving california.
http://jan.ocregister.com/2010/05/13...springs/37271/

Last edited by dan596821; 07-16-2010 at 06:01 PM.. Reason: left out url link

Old 07-16-2010, 06:02 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Quote:

How about Scotts Valley? What a great location. Better than the SV in terms of natural beauty and access to the coast. Yet not far from the center of things.

Check Redfin.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose