Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 10:49 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,924,187 times

Advertisements

Scott's Valley would be a great place to live. The person who said it is like Bakersfield . . .uh . . . wow . . . don't even know what to say to that. Not even close to being true.

Hope you have time to check it out yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 12:08 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrooks View Post
"Not to discourage you, but during the rainy season, the Santa Cruz Mountain communities have power outages more frequently than most other Bay Area/Central Coast areas."
But heh, with a million dollar house budget you can afford a thousand dollar Honda 2000 watt generator, no problemo.

Buy Two Honda EU2000i gen......buy or makeup a parallel cable kit...run them together...

Old 11-29-2013, 12:51 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,999 times
Quote:
Check out the Central Valley. Lodi, Merced, Sacratomato (the "mid-town district) Rents are MUCH lower. Then there are the foothill areas--Calaveras and Amador Counties.
Yes, if you choose to live in an armpit, you get those great armpit discounts. Too bad the kiddies get to learn all about the wonders of the crankster lifestyle for all those savings.

Old 11-29-2013, 12:53 PM

155 posts, read 274,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Scott's Valley would be a great place to live. The person who said it is like Bakersfield . . .uh . . . wow . . . don't even know what to say to that. Not even close to being true.

Hope you have time to check it out yourself.
What makes it like Bakerfield is it is strung out, low-end compared to the rest of the county, and it was just a humorous overstated comparison. As far as a great place to live, that is an overstatement itself. It was never more than a low-rent outskirt of SC, and with the strip malls it hasn't improved much.

Old 11-29-2013, 02:19 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,071,798 times
Quote:
What makes it like Bakerfield is it is strung out, low-end compared to the rest of the county, and it was just a humorous overstated comparison. As far as a great place to live, that is an overstatement itself. It was never more than a low-rent outskirt of SC, and with the strip malls it hasn't improved much.
Scotts Valley is more affluent, and much safer than Santa Cruz... I'm not sure what you mean by low end.

Old 11-30-2013, 02:20 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
It's not like Montclair at all; it's much more rural in feel. Drive down the main strip on Scotts Valley Dr, and you'll see bait & tackle, feed shops, RV and trailer parks, and so on. Might be a bit of culture shock for you.
There's maybe one fishing shop and a feed store that's mostly a pet store at the end of town(yes, some people have chickens or other livestock out in the country in the Santa Cruz Mountains). It's not like it's some Hee-Haw country town, it's fairly average for the Santa Cruz Mountains if even more standard suburbia in feel.

Quote:
It hasn't really been that low-end for a long time, especially considering these days the median home prices is about $650,000 and you can barely find anything under half a million--and there's places that go for well over a million around there. Maybe a couple cheaper places right off the main strips, but compared to a lot of Santa Cruz itself, the place is genteel wonderland. Most of the people I knew who lived in Scotts Valley were just tech workers who were at Seagate or the other places located there or just appreciated the slightly better commute over the hill.

As far as strip malls go, well basically most of California is just strip malls...

Last edited by Deezus; 11-30-2013 at 02:42 PM..

Old 11-30-2013, 02:45 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
Bottom line: visit it yourself, seriously.

Folks commenting on it here have very biased, divergent views, to the point of exaggerated caricatures which I don't think are even remotely accurate. Better schools and lower crime than SC are two good reasons to consider Scotts Valley for families. Plus its really not that far to SC for easy coastal access or hiking in the surrounding SC mountains. Its only 6 miles to Santa Cruz. So really, how hard can that be to get more shopping, etc...? Its more like a mountain suburb of SC.

Scotts Valley is about the furthest thing from Bakersfield I can imagine. Obviously that was an exaggerated joke like many typical comments here on CD but its still doesn't reflect the town at all. Take all you hear on this forum with a *Big* grain of salt and do your own research.

Derek

Old 11-30-2013, 08:07 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Bottom line: visit it yourself, seriously.

Folks commenting on it here have very biased, divergent views, to the point of exaggerated caricatures which I don't think are even remotely accurate. Better schools and lower crime than SC are two good reasons to consider Scotts Valley for families. Plus its really not that far to SC for easy coastal access or hiking in the surrounding SC mountains. Its only 6 miles to Santa Cruz. So really, how hard can that be to get more shopping, etc...? Its more like a mountain suburb of SC.

Scotts Valley is about the furthest thing from Bakersfield I can imagine. Obviously that was an exaggerated joke like many typical comments here on CD but its still doesn't reflect the town at all. Take all you hear on this forum with a *Big* grain of salt and do your own research.

Derek
"Mountain suburb of SC" about sums it up.

I was just driving through Scotts Valley yesterday to go hiking with my dad up to the lime kilns in Henry Cowell State Park and I was like, yeah not much has really changed since the last time I was there. It hasn't even really changed all that much from when I was a teen in the late 90s in Santa Cruz.

If someone is checking out Scotts Valley, I'd say check out Felton as well. It's right down the road and feels a little more charming as far as Santa Cruz Mountain towns go.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:03 PM

209 posts, read 257,506 times
Check out unincorporated Morgan Hill, near Uvas Rd and Watsonville Rd, nice people, lots of wineries if thats your thing. I rented a room there for 700/month.

If you want rustic, I don't see anything wrong with 'downtown' Boulder Creek, save a speed-trap or 2.

Old 12-10-2013, 12:31 PM

173 posts, read 255,131 times
I've lived in Boulder Creek for most of my life and still absolutely love it (it has its challenges like anywhere else).

The Scotts Valley Bakersfield comparison is humorous. They are light years apart.

Scotts Valley is a very nice place. It would be even better if you don't have to commute each day or can telecommute a couple days a week, but I wouldn't even hesitate to live and raise a family there. Much better than living almost anywhere in the pit IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose