Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 05:05 PM

6 posts, read 26,120 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving from Oakland (Montclair district) and can only seem to get excited about living on the Mountain somewhere between Los Gatos and Scotts Valley. With 1M being our house budget, probably closer to Scotts Valley is more likely because we'd also like some land (1 to 3 acres).
He commutes to Milpitas.

What we're used to right now is the quaint Montclair district in Oakland...it's really sweet. We LOVE it. I worry we'll never find that anywhere else but we must move for a variety of reasons, failing public school system the biggest reason.

So, please tell me about your experience with Scotts Valley -- does it have any charm? We visited and seems like a very spread out town and didn't see a "cute town center". Does one exist? Are people friendly? What's the vibe there for stay-at-home moms? Does there seem to be many? Do people generally stick around on the weekends or head out of town? Yelp shows some pretty decent reviews for restaurants, so that's good (plus Los Gatos is relatively close as is Santa Cruz). Also, what about kids activities like gymnastics, dance, sports, movie theater, pony club or 4 H, etc.

Any other info is greatly appreciated! We're looking at a move in the next 12 to 18 months, before our daughter starts kindergarten in 2012.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 11:57 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,147,120 times
It's not like Montclair at all; it's much more rural in feel. Drive down the main strip on Scotts Valley Dr, and you'll see bait & tackle, feed shops, RV and trailer parks, and so on. Might be a bit of culture shock for you.

To be more like Montclair, I'd focus on areas like Saratoga or incorporated Los Gatos.. except that $1 million will not go far there. It will go quite a ways in Scotts Valley, and you probably will be quite satisfied, but you should have a clearer picture of what you're actually getting into..

Old 11-13-2010, 10:13 AM

291 posts, read 957,848 times
We were looking for similar things and Scotts Valley was very high on our list. We decided against it for the reasons you've listed, no downtown center and an overall lack of community feel. The lack of public transportation was another big one. Also, I had a feeling I would end up going to Santa Cruz or Los Gatos a lot (for errands and entertainment). The main pull for me was the school district, being close to the beach and living in a laid back town. But Scotts Valley seemed a bit too laid back even for our life style. Good luck finding what you are looking for.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:14 PM

155 posts, read 274,593 times
SV is an upgraded Bakersfield. SV Drive is much the same as 50 years ago in character, if not quantity. Camp Evers was the start then, and the airport was active. The change since amounts to a lot of strip malls, no airport.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:35 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,193,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrooks View Post
SV is an upgraded Bakersfield. SV Drive is much the same as 50 years ago in character, if not quantity. Camp Evers was the start then, and the airport was active. The change since amounts to a lot of strip malls, no airport.
I think with charming Los Gatos reasonably close by and Santa Cruz very close (less than ten miles) and even rustic Felton nearby and Boulder Creek in the area, you won't lack for some interesting destinations, but unlike Montclair will have to drive a short distance. It is in a beautiful area, but previous posters are correct that it is primarily mini-malls (but the upscale variety for the most part). You will have your CVS pharmacy, grocery store, Starbucks and a few chain restaurants.

Not to discourage you, but during the rainy season, the Santa Cruz Mountain communities have power outages more frequently than most other Bay Area/Central Coast areas. It is a beautiful area and I believe the Milpitas commute could also be less than an hour (at least to work...not sure of the commute home).

Old 08-24-2013, 10:01 PM

18 posts, read 45,160 times
Anyone here actually live there and could give more sense of what's it's like to live there? Any real sense of community or is it just a cheaper place to park your stuff while you do your "living" in the other nearby towns. I'm very interested in the area for the beauty and affordability since I would like to move into NoCal, but can't afford a Mil$+ house. I'm raising a family and want to live somewhere that is good to raise a family and has a close community feel and some charm

Old 09-07-2013, 12:28 PM

Default SV charm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCountryGirl View Post
My husband and I are considering moving from Oakland (Montclair district) and can only seem to get excited about living on the Mountain somewhere between Los Gatos and Scotts Valley. With 1M being our house budget, probably closer to Scotts Valley is more likely because we'd also like some land (1 to 3 acres).
He commutes to Milpitas.

What we're used to right now is the quaint Montclair district in Oakland...it's really sweet. We LOVE it. I worry we'll never find that anywhere else but we must move for a variety of reasons, failing public school system the biggest reason.

So, please tell me about your experience with Scotts Valley -- does it have any charm? We visited and seems like a very spread out town and didn't see a "cute town center". Does one exist? Are people friendly? What's the vibe there for stay-at-home moms? Does there seem to be many? Do people generally stick around on the weekends or head out of town? Yelp shows some pretty decent reviews for restaurants, so that's good (plus Los Gatos is relatively close as is Santa Cruz). Also, what about kids activities like gymnastics, dance, sports, movie theater, pony club or 4 H, etc.

Any other info is greatly appreciated! We're looking at a move in the next 12 to 18 months, before our daughter starts kindergarten in 2012.
Not a whole lotta charm. if you wanta search out a little nostalgia you can look for the remnants of the original SV--centered on Camp Evers. I know, where the hell is Camp Evers? If you look close at the NE corner of SV Drive and Mt Hermon Rd you'll see a Camp Evers sign. It was the Greyhound/Trailways stop on the way in/out of SC. If you look a little behind the first shopping center on Mt Herman Rd, East side, you'll see the remaining runway of the airport, long since closed. That leaves SC County without an airport North of Watsonville.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
I think with charming Los Gatos reasonably close by and Santa Cruz very close (less than ten miles) and even rustic Felton nearby and Boulder Creek in the area, you won't lack for some interesting destinations, but unlike Montclair will have to drive a short distance. It is in a beautiful area, but previous posters are correct that it is primarily mini-malls (but the upscale variety for the most part). You will have your CVS pharmacy, grocery store, Starbucks and a few chain restaurants.

Not to discourage you, but during the rainy season, the Santa Cruz Mountain communities have power outages more frequently than most other Bay Area/Central Coast areas. It is a beautiful area and I believe the Milpitas commute could also be less than an hour (at least to work...not sure of the commute home).
"Not to discourage you, but during the rainy season, the Santa Cruz Mountain communities have power outages more frequently than most other Bay Area/Central Coast areas."
But heh, with a million dollar house budget you can afford a thousand dollar Honda 2000 watt generator, no problemo.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:39 PM

Default SC County charm?

SC County has lost its virginity and its charm. See my three pieces on Ralph Abraham's site "The Hippy Project" under Edward Brooks, for first-hand details. Email me with any questions--jessieabraham@ymail.com.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmgb77 View Post
Anyone here actually live there and could give more sense of what's it's like to live there? Any real sense of community or is it just a cheaper place to park your stuff while you do your "living" in the other nearby towns. I'm very interested in the area for the beauty and affordability since I would like to move into NoCal, but can't afford a Mil$+ house. I'm raising a family and want to live somewhere that is good to raise a family and has a close community feel and some charm
Check out the Central Valley. Lodi, Merced, Sacratomato (the "mid-town district) Rents are MUCH lower. Then there are the foothill areas--Calaveras and Amador Counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose