Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 11:41 AM

25 posts, read 72,990 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Mountain View through his work, which is based in Mountain View. We will be looking to rent a 3 bedroom home single family home - 2 bed is also fine, the important part is that it's a detached house as we're really sick of living in apartments (with neighbour noise)! Our budget is around $3500 per month, is this do-able? We want a modern kitchen and bathroom too.

I've researched a lot on Craig's List but not that many single family homes come up in Mountain View, there's a lot more flats and townhouses. Are there not that many single family homes to rent in Mountain View, or do they get snapped up really quickly or something?

We also really like the look of Palo Alto, Los Altos, and Los Gatos but these areas seem to be more expensive and it doesn't look like nice, modern houses are available for $3500. What do you think, can we get what we're looking for in Mountain View for that price, or do we have to up the budget? Is is worth looking in the other areas or is there no way that we'll get what we want at that price?

Also, do we need air con for summers in Mountain View? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 03:12 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,059,808 times
There are some days when air conditioning is nice but you don't need it all summer. It's a good thing to have, whether it's in a window unit or central A/C.

As far as rental prices, I think homes get snapped up quickly. I can tell you that I rent a 2 bed/1 Bath with separate office space in back unit for $2800 a month. (I'm the landlord.) I would keep looking for a house. The other cities you mentioned will be more expensive than Mountain View. You could also try Redwood City or Sunnyvale, but schools are not as good.

Mountain View is a very good place to live, if you can find something you can afford.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:29 AM

Thanks for your reply. It does seem like homes go quickly, we will be prepared with our paperwork when we go to viewings so when we do find something we can offer straight away. That does help knowing what you rent your place out for, and good to know Mountain View is a good place too!

Old 03-04-2011, 06:25 PM

381 posts, read 862,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kats. View Post
Thanks for your reply. It does seem like homes go quickly, we will be prepared with our paperwork when we go to viewings so when we do find something we can offer straight away. That does help knowing what you rent your place out for, and good to know Mountain View is a good place too!
How much would your husband mind a commute? San Mateo and even Burlingame are very nice cities (with great downtowns) where you will likely get a better value. Also, you're only 20 minutes from San Francisco, with easy CalTrain access.

Like I said, the only downside is it would be a 25 minute commute. Frankly, I think it's worth it.

For instance, look at this listing. I know it's about $300 over your budget, but it gives you an idea of what you can get in Burlingame/San Mateo. You won't find anything like this in Mountain View.

3.5 BA, 2,860 sq. ft, Remodeled Home, Stunning Pano Bay Views (http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/apa/2235656164.html - broken link)

Old 03-05-2011, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldojernkins View Post
How much would your husband mind a commute? San Mateo and even Burlingame are very nice cities (with great downtowns) where you will likely get a better value. Also, you're only 20 minutes from San Francisco, with easy CalTrain access.

Like I said, the only downside is it would be a 25 minute commute. Frankly, I think it's worth it.

For instance, look at this listing. I know it's about $300 over your budget, but it gives you an idea of what you can get in Burlingame/San Mateo. You won't find anything like this in Mountain View.

3.5 BA, 2,860 sq. ft, Remodeled Home, Stunning Pano Bay Views (http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/apa/2235656164.html - broken link)
Burlingame looks really nice - we looked briefly into Burlingame prices but it seems pretty expensive too, not sure if the difference is enough to make up for the commute. Thanks for the idea though, we will keep it on our radar.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:03 PM

381 posts, read 862,447 times
Quote:
Burlingame looks really nice - we looked briefly into Burlingame prices but it seems pretty expensive too, not sure if the difference is enough to make up for the commute. Thanks for the idea though, we will keep it on our radar.
San Mateo is significantly cheaper, and there are some very nice areas in San Mateo.

The commute from Mountain View to San Mateo/Burlingame is about the same as Mountain View to Los Gatos.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:59 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Yes you can rent a very nice 2 or 3 bedroom home in most areas on the Peninsula. If you're looking for really nice neighborhoods, concentrate on Cupertino, Mountain View, Los Altos, Burlinghame, Redwood Shores, Foster City, Saratoga.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Yes you can rent a very nice 2 or 3 bedroom home in most areas on the Peninsula. If you're looking for really nice neighborhoods, concentrate on Cupertino, Mountain View, Los Altos, Burlinghame, Redwood Shores, Foster City, Saratoga.
Thanks for the info!

Old 03-11-2011, 03:46 PM

19 posts, read 57,065 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info!
The 94087 zipcode of Sunnyvale (basically between Homestead and El Camino) is pretty good as well.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:41 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Recognizing that not is on Zillow.com you might give it a spin as they have added rentals to their offerings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose