Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2011, 11:45 PM
usk usk started this thread

4 posts, read 7,989 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I shall be moving to US to work at PaloAlto. My husband shall work in San Ramon. We have kids aged 2 (need a day care) and 6 (need a school)
We prefer staying at/closer to PaloAlto keeping my commute minimal.
Could you please answer -
1) Is Palo Alto a good place for family to stay? (What I have been reading it sounds an extension of Stanford and seems mainly a hub of students)
What about day cares, schools, entertainment for kids?
2) How would it be for my husband to commute to SanRamon from Palo alto every day?
3) Alternately is there any good place in between which can be considered, San Jose?
4) Can you please also mention the rents in these areas for 2 bedroom home?
Regards, UK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 11:03 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,993 times
You've already received responses on your previous post regarding this. You may want to check those.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:34 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Palo Alto is a very good place for kids, and the public school system is tops. Lots of programs for kids. The big problem is that it is very, very expensive to live there, and high even by inflated standards of the area.

The other issue is that a Palo Alto to San Ramon commute is going to be pretty long. I'd expect it to be about 45-1 hour each way, even given that PA has the advantage in terms of commute direction to/from Fremont (I used to commute to Fremont/Newark from PA and it took me about 25 minutes each way).

You may want to consider Fremont as a more central location between San Ramon and Palo Alto. There are good schools in Fremont, depending on the area.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:29 PM

291 posts, read 958,216 times
I would consider living in San Ramon, Danville or Pleasanton. They all have excellent schools and are super family friendly. You do not want to commute to Palo Alto! During rush hour your commute will take over one hour.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSunset View Post
I would consider living in San Ramon, Danville or Pleasanton. They all have excellent schools and are super family friendly. You do not want to commute to Palo Alto! During rush hour your commute will take over one hour.
I just realized that one of you will be working in Palo Alto...in this case, check out Fremont. The schools are well rated and the commute is not suicidal to either San Ramon or Palo Alto. Fremont is also way more affordable than Palo Alto.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:41 AM
usk usk started this thread

4 posts, read 7,989 times
Thanks all...could you also suggest me areas in Fremont that are close to good public schools? Do schools have day care facility in case both parents are working? (My elder one is five and half years old and needs to go to first grade in school)

Old 06-03-2011, 08:56 AM

There are several good schools in Fremont. Check here:
GreatSchools.org Search: fremont

I hear good things about the Niles and Mission communities of Fremont.

I don't know about day care at the the elementary schools in Fremont. I know day care is offered at other public schools in the east bay. Probably a good idea to give them a call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose