Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 07:03 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,856,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
The reason they're doing this is that they do not believe themselves to be constituents of the U.S., on the contrary, they hate the U.S. and are simply here to feed on it as vultures feed on a carcass. They are economic invaders, quite simply, and want nothing to do with us or our culture. They brazenly fly their flag as a symbol of conquest and defiance, as they know not many of us have the courage to take it down and demand they leave.
" ... demand they leave"?!!!
are you kidding?!!!
and which "conquest" would that be?
wow.
fascinating.
and just a bit creepy.
i'm not usually afforded the chance to witness and interact with this facet of american "culture".

Old 07-08-2011, 08:36 PM
LDH

168 posts, read 588,347 times
I live in an area where there is a large Hispanic population. About 4 years ago there was a huge march in my town where the illegals wanted to voice their opinion that they should be able to stay in the US because they were taking up jobs that citizens wouldn't do. The majority marched with the flag of Mexico instead of the United States flag. By doing that it, it only hurt their cause IMO. I think it is very disrespectful... I would never go to another country and think about flying another country's flag.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
I live in an area where there is a large Hispanic population. About 4 years ago there was a huge march in my town where the illegals wanted to voice their opinion that they should be able to stay in the US because they were taking up jobs that citizens wouldn't do. The majority marched with the flag of Mexico instead of the United States flag. By doing that it, it only hurt their cause IMO. I think it is very disrespectful... I would never go to another country and think about flying another country's flag.
But this country is unlike any other.
It is one that has historically welcomed everybody from everywhere around the world.
It's obviously a different time now and there are certainly immigration problems but still, diversity and freedom are both part of the very nature of the U.S..
Flying the flag of ones country of origin is a natural thing to do here as opposed to any other place in the world.
No one has ever been expected to come to this country and abandon any aspect of their culture of origin.
That's part of what makes the U.S. so special.

The New Colossus
By Emma Lazarus
(engraved on a bronze plaque and mounted inside the Statue of Liberty)

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,

With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
“Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!” cries she
With silent lips. “Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

Old 07-08-2011, 11:26 PM
LDH

168 posts, read 588,347 times
[quote=jaijai;19937740]But this country is unlike any other.
It is one that has historically welcomed everybody from everywhere around the world.
It's obviously a different time now and there are certainly immigration problems but still, diversity and freedom are both part of the very nature of the U.S..
Flying the flag of ones country of origin is a natural thing to do here as opposed to any other place in the world.
No one has ever been expected to come to this country and abandon any aspect of their culture of origin.

No one is being asked to forget their origin. If everyone still holds their allegiance to the the country from which they came, then we as Americans will become weak as a nation. When my ancestors came to America they didn't continue to fly their flag but embraced America and what it stands for. I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America... my husband and son serve (put their lives on the line) in the military and take great pride in defending that flag.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:53 AM

1,651 posts, read 3,701,224 times
There's no law saying that by moving to the US one must sublimate their own identity and be assimilated into some Borg-like mono-culture.

As a legal immigrant to this country, I'll tell you straight up that I came here for the economic opportunities (and the extra thousand or so miles it put between me and my ex-wife, that was a dark time, LOL) I have friends here, I have family here now, I've made a very good life. I contribute to society, I pay my taxes, I've done my best to make the world around me a better place.

HOWEVER, I have absolutely no intentions of every giving up my personal identity and history in the interests of "fitting in". I am what I am, and I'm proud of where I come from and what my country has done historically and in the present. I'll probably move back home some day, but for now my whole life is here. If your vision of your country is so narrow-minded and bigoted that you can't accept me, then that's YOUR problem, not mine. Plenty of people here are quite glad I decided to spend some time here.

But then, I'm a 40-year middle class white guy, so none of the arguments in this thread are really about me, are they?

Old 07-09-2011, 10:19 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,519,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
About six years ago there was a huge march beginning in Cesar Chavez country (Kern County) and swelling as it headed into Sacramento to demonstrate at the Capitol. There were thousands pouring over the Tower Bridge across the Sacramento River and heading up Capitol Avenue.

Unfortunately, there were also thousands of Mexican flags with a very few American flags intermingled. That really lit up the crowd, even those who were there to support them, and the yelling and screaming at them has mostly to do with their lack of regard and respect for the country they wished to stay in.

Collectively stupid, not just to turn off the support but to show their true intentions and resistance to assimilation making them unwanted and unwelcome by most.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:20 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,519,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
...and used, abused and taken advantage of by others.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
...and used, abused and taken advantage of by others.
That's inevitable.
It comes with the territory.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:43 PM

4 posts, read 12,463 times
Nothing to do with racism but I hear a lot a bout how we shouldn't discriminate. Well that's fine and all but if you're useless and contribute NOTHING to our society then gtfo. If you're here illegally, I don't care who you are. I don't care if you'r mexican, asian, euorpean whatever you don't deserve to be here. What's more important, some flakey illegal immigrant who takes as much government funding as possible or those who pay the taxes and focuses on our future? ALso we should stop funding for minorities who are here ILLEGALLY and pour that into our education. Our future viability in a ever growing global economy is getting far worse. Students try to find some decent housing but if you're full time the LOWEST you can pay is $800 for a crappy tiny studio. Meanwhile those who have 5 children, fresh off a boat or across the border live off the government and in a nice 400+sq feet studio without much to worry about. So why is it that those who are hard working but barely getting by getting shafted with crappy living conditions when the poor gets a nice area to live in but do nothing to contribute to society except ***** and whine? Frankly the homeless do deserve homeless shelters and a roof over their heads but NOT nifty little studios that other hard working individuals are far more qualified to get. I agree with anyone who feels that illegals should be driven out. Of any color, any age, any living situation. PS. I lived in a nice suburban area in New york and it's true that i NEVER had the issues I've had here in California. Illegals are in office and that's why after going to school here i want to go back to a state that doesn't reward incompetence.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:02 AM

30,905 posts, read 37,014,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think About It! View Post
Keep listening to John Lennon's "Imagine" .

Not every country is equal to ours. Why do you think so many want to come here either legally or illegally. Let me guess: we should not have borders, we should only have one currency throughout and everyone should earn the same amount of money, everyone should live equally in every way. Good idea....
The globalists are working on these very issues. They want to dissolve the whole idea of national sovereignty so that people will put their allegiance toward a one world dictatorship disguised as a benevolent democracy.

Wait until the next financial crisis....they will advance their idea of a one world currency as the "solution". Their "solutions" always seem to involve centralizing power and control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose