Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 01:48 AM

241 posts, read 713,246 times

Advertisements

I was thinking of relocating to San Diego next year, but I just had a really good job offer in Campbell (near San Jose).

Aside from the housing costs, what is San Jose like as a city?

Cultural events, activities, weather, etc.

My main reasons for wanting to move to San Diego are/were the weather, access to great parks and the ocean (being able to swim, dive in the ocean most of the year) and good food. The cost of living is rather reasonable and housing is not too expensive these days. I'm really looking for somewhere to settle down for a while if not forever. I have been to San Fransisco and thought it was soso for what I am looking for in terms of weather (a bit cooler than I would like even in the summer), but really liked the city.

So, what is San Jose all about? Is it just another sterile, large US city? how is the economy and housing situation these days? What is access to nice beaches like from the area?

I would be making approx 60-80% more in Campbell than I would for a similar job in San Diego, so I assume that should negate most of the cost of living factors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 11:27 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,725,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveydoe View Post
So, what is San Jose all about? Is it just another sterile, large US city? how is the economy and housing situation these days? What is access to nice beaches like from the area?
For the most part, San Jose is a large sterile city. It has a downtown urban core with some culture, night life and sporting events surrounded by urban sprawl.

The nearest beaches are around Santa Cruz about 35-40 miles away. It's one of the best places in N. California for swimming and surfing. The water is too cold in most other places in N. California. Santa Cruz has a nice boardwalk Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. San Diego has warmer water for swimming.

Why not live in Campbell where your job is. It has a nice downtown and there is a light rail between Campbell and San Jose About Downtown Campbell | Downtown Campbell, CA

Old 07-22-2011, 12:20 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times
Quote:
I was thinking of relocating to San Diego next year, but I just had a really good job offer in Campbell (near San Jose).

I like both cities. San Diego has the beach. It has cool weather including fog, but maybe is warmer in the winter than we are up here? (I'm not sure)
I don't know if you've ever been in the ocean in San Diego, but the water is pretty cold.

As for cultural activites and stuff I don't know how the two would compare. San Jose may have more diversity and so you might find more variety of venues. There's definitely a lot of good food in San jose and Silicon Valley.

Quote:
Like I mentioned, there's a lot of diversity in Silicon Valley because of the TEch industry. So there's many people from around the world, especially Asia and India. This makes San Jose different than other typical "sterile US" cities.

The economy for high tech/computer industry is excellent right now, but for everything else it doesn't seem good.

The beach would be Santa Cruz which is about 30 minute drive from San Jose. I'm not a surfer kind of person, but I think I've heard people say the water is cooler up here than in southern California.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:26 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,285,595 times
I've lived in both. I personally prefer San Jose, although I would say that SD is more fun if you're young and like to party. In general, the job market in SJ is MUCH better than SD. While SD is cheaper, its not that much cheaper, especially if you want to live in a very nice area. The food scene is much better in and around SJ and there is more diversity. Aside from the beaches being better in SD, there is much more nature in SJ. I prefer the redwoods over the desert shrubbery mountains near SD. I personally prefer the weather in SJ. SD gets a tad less rain, yet SJ gets a little warmer and much less fog in the summertime.

Finally, given that SJ is part of the Bay Area, it has much more of a world class feel than SD. Turn on the television and you'll see how unprofessional and small town like the newscasters are down in SD.

Don't get me wrong, I loved living in SD in college and in my early 20s. However, I strongly prefer the SJ area for my professional career.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:40 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
I've lived in both. I personally prefer San Jose, although I would say that SD is more fun if you're young and like to party. In general, the job market in SJ is MUCH better than SD. While SD is cheaper, its not that much cheaper, especially if you want to live in a very nice area. The food scene is much better in and around SJ and there is more diversity. Aside from the beaches being better in SD, there is much more nature in SJ. I prefer the redwoods over the desert shrubbery mountains near SD. I personally prefer the weather in SJ. SD gets a tad less rain, yet SJ gets a little warmer and much less fog in the summertime.

Finally, given that SJ is part of the Bay Area, it has much more of a world class feel than SD. Turn on the television and you'll see how unprofessional and small town like the newscasters are down in SD.

Don't get me wrong, I loved living in SD in college and in my early 20s. However, I strongly prefer the SJ area for my professional career.
This is a very good post. It pretty much sums it up. San Diego is great for being young and single and being into more of a party scene or enjoying the beach. San Jose tends to be better for building a career and raising a family. The Bay Area also has a lot more geographic, cultural, weather etc. diversity than the San Diego area does as well.

I actually love San Diego myself, but I prefer to live in the Bay Area.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:45 PM
Ohs

236 posts, read 712,767 times
Well you did post this in a San Jose thread so you might want to ask your question in a San Diego thread and get the other side from people who may like it better there. I like San Diego a lot and I think there is more going on down there then up here in San Jose. The cost of rent is also going up here in too that might be something to look into. The tech jobs are doing really well here, I heard there is even a new little boom coming along but for those of us not in tech jobs there really isn't much of a reason to be here. Both my husband and I are losing money and getting pay cuts and the cost of living is going up. The beaches are way better in San Diego, it's hotter and you can actually swim in them. I do like the weather here better though it's nice and cool but sunny. I love all the greenery and the redwoods Big Basin camping up here and will miss it. But you can also go to the Sequoias down there it's not too far and Yosemite is only a few hours away. It's beautiful here but if you don't make really good money and I mean in the $80,000 range you will not get to live in the nicer areas. Yes you can make it on less here but you also have to make other sacrifices to do so. I think people are more laid back and friendly in San Diego as far as going to the bars and things like that. I also like the Mexican food down there better. There is a difference, can't explain what it is but I think it's better. There are more families here and small cliquish cultural groups, so you may feel a little left out at times. Campbell is okay, there is a nice park with the Los Gatos trail for riding bikes and a cute down town. It's pretty small though and the people in the bars are extra cliquish. Depends on what you are looking for and what your job is? There is way more opportunity here if it's a tech job? Hope this helps...

Old 07-22-2011, 05:11 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,548,296 times
Quote:

Cultural events, activities, weather, etc.

My main reasons for wanting to move to San Diego are/were the weather, access to great parks and the ocean (being able to swim, dive in the ocean most of the year) and good food. The cost of living is rather reasonable and housing is not too expensive these days. I'm really looking for somewhere to settle down for a while if not forever. I have been to San Fransisco and thought it was soso for what I am looking for in terms of weather (a bit cooler than I would like even in the summer), but really liked the city.

I would be making approx 60-80% more in Campbell than I would for a similar job in San Diego, so I assume that should negate most of the cost of living factors?
San Diego and San Jose are very similar. The major difference is that San Diego has beaches and tourists...San Jose has a better economy, especially in tech. How important are beaches to you? There aren't really any good ones up here -- Santa Cruz is nearby...but it's not a great drive and let's be real -- compared to San Diego, Santa Cruz is crap. Aside from that, events, activities, and weather are very similar. San Jose does get legitimate summers. Food is fine, probably even slightly better. CoL is more in SJ than SD but not 60-80% more, so you'll still come out ahead.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:37 AM

591 posts, read 866,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
For the most part, San Jose is a large sterile city. It has a downtown urban core with some culture, night life and sporting events surrounded by urban sprawl.

The nearest beaches are around Santa Cruz about 35-40 miles away. It's one of the best places in N. California for swimming and surfing. The water is too cold in most other places in N. California. Santa Cruz has a nice boardwalk Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. San Diego has warmer water for swimming.

Why not live in Campbell where your job is. It has a nice downtown and there is a light rail between Campbell and San Jose About Downtown Campbell | Downtown Campbell, CA
Correction: 21 miles from Los Gatos on hiway 17, so nowhere near 40 miles away.

Plus both cities are bland-boring (which I like BTW, I hate "edgy" locales), and San Diego has mediocre restaurants compared to San Jose, where even hole-in-the-wall restaurants are good (not talking chains here).

Old 07-25-2011, 12:28 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
San Diego and San Jose are very similar. The major difference is that San Diego has beaches and tourists...San Jose has a better economy, especially in tech. How important are beaches to you? There aren't really any good ones up here -- Santa Cruz is nearby...but it's not a great drive and let's be real -- compared to San Diego, Santa Cruz is crap. Aside from that, events, activities, and weather are very similar. San Jose does get legitimate summers. Food is fine, probably even slightly better. CoL is more in SJ than SD but not 60-80% more, so you'll still come out ahead.
Correction: I think the differences in weather are worth noting. Winters are significatnly warmer in San Diego by 5-7 degrees (and also sunnier). Summers are more overcast down there with cooler days but warmer nights....unless you live further inland, where it's definitely hotter than SJ in summer.

That said, winters here are still mild (high 50s in January is the norm)...but you get a decent number of beach days in winter in SD (where afternoons in the mid 60s are the norm), whereas beach weather in Santa Cruz in winter is rare.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:49 AM

231 posts, read 640,253 times
Outside the tech industry, San Diego is a much more happening city. San Jose is not often considered a destination for tons of activities, nightlife and such as San Francisco overshadows it in that aspect. As one person mentioned, sterile comes to mind. However, it's clean, very safe and has pretty areas to reside in.

In terms of weather, just like any part of California, your proximity to the coast will define the weather. San Jose is a good distance inland so it would be more comparable to the inland valleys of San Diego (albeit cooler in the winter and at nights and more rainfall).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose