Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 11:41 AM

9 posts, read 11,666 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have been coming to California for the last 2 years now from Maryland, partly my doing to see if she would like it out here and secondly to get away from Maryland. This year alone we have flown out 4 times for 4-8 days at a time to really figure out where we like and where we don't.

We definitely ruled out the LA area and have really enjoy Morgan Hill, Santa Clara and parts of San Mateo, Milpitas and Burlingame. Yesterday we went around with a realtor in Tracy and loved some of the new developments, especially the house prices. The neighborhoods were quiet and very nice, reminded us of the nicest parts of Maryland.

I am a senior programmer and have been given the opportunity to work remotely from California, so my commute isn't a concern. My wife however, being an IT project coordinator will need to commute. Therefore Tracy is a bit out of reach. At some point I may want to move to a local job, so being some what close by (within 30-40 minutes) would be preferable. For reference, right now my wife commutes to Baltimore and her commute can range from 35-50 minutes during the week.

My question is, for a married IT couple with no plans for kids with a budget of around $500k what is the best combination of house/commute?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 08:54 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,697,846 times
I didn't quite catch - commute to where?

Old 01-01-2012, 04:45 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,851,151 times
I assume that you meant commute to San Jose?
I always recommend Los Gatos.
It's right on the other (eastern) side of the Santa Cruz mountains.
It's upscale and pricey but it sounds like you'll be able to afford it.
The downtown is a good one.
It's close to San Jose and it's only about 1/2 hours to the coast, ie; Santa Cruz county (when not during the p.m. commuter times).

Los Gatos, CA

Old 01-15-2012, 06:50 AM

Thank you for the replies, since I've been back to Maryland work's been consuming my time.

I will definitely start looking into Los Gatos online and next time I'm out there in April/May I'll check it out.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:52 AM

And yes it would be a commute to San Jose/Milpitas/Mountain View, it seems like all of the IT jobs are centralized there.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:08 AM

4,321 posts, read 6,282,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
I assume that you meant commute to San Jose?
I always recommend Los Gatos.
It's right on the other (eastern) side of the Santa Cruz mountains.
It's upscale and pricey but it sounds like you'll be able to afford it.
The downtown is a good one.
It's close to San Jose and it's only about 1/2 hours to the coast, ie; Santa Cruz county (when not during the p.m. commuter times).

Los Gatos, CA
I don't see how this person would be able to afford Los Gatos. They mentioned that their budget was around $500k for a SFH. You probably need 3 times that (easily) to afford something decent there. I don't even think you'll get that in decent neighborhoods of west San Jose. You'll probably have to look at places like Morgan Hill/Gilroy to the south or Livermore/Tracy to the east.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:59 AM

2,190 posts, read 6,851,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
I don't see how this person would be able to afford Los Gatos. They mentioned that their budget was around $500k for a SFH. You probably need 3 times that (easily) to afford something decent there. I don't even think you'll get that in decent neighborhoods of west San Jose. You'll probably have to look at places like Morgan Hill/Gilroy to the south or Livermore/Tracy to the east.
I missed a key point in the original post ... actually a couple of them.
I didn't realize that they wanted to buy property.
And i thought that their combined income was 5K.
Sorry to once again mistakenly recommend Los Gatos.
(that's twice in less than 2 weeks )

However / on second thought .... 5K for a town-home or condo in Los Gatos in a good neighborhood?
No?

Old 01-15-2012, 11:27 AM

If it comes down to it $600k-$700k is do-able, but keeping it closer to $500k would be preferred. Morgan Hill is nice, my wife and I found several homes just driving around that were in our budget. But I wanted to make sure it was the best solution, having no one I know in the area for advice I wanted to post here.

I have a townhouse now in Maryland, ~2100 sqft, 3 story and 2 car garage. We definitely want 2500 sqft and a 2 car garage, no mansions or swimming pools needed, we both work too much to have a bigger house/pool. The reason for the $500k budget was the houses in our area of Maryland are around that, in the nicer areas it goes well into $600k.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:06 PM

4,321 posts, read 6,282,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotionBlur View Post
If it comes down to it $600k-$700k is do-able, but keeping it closer to $500k would be preferred. Morgan Hill is nice, my wife and I found several homes just driving around that were in our budget. But I wanted to make sure it was the best solution, having no one I know in the area for advice I wanted to post here.

I have a townhouse now in Maryland, ~2100 sqft, 3 story and 2 car garage. We definitely want 2500 sqft and a 2 car garage, no mansions or swimming pools needed, we both work too much to have a bigger house/pool. The reason for the $500k budget was the houses in our area of Maryland are around that, in the nicer areas it goes well into $600k.
Well, if square footage and a SFH is your top priority (along with a commute that isn't hellish), then Morgan Hill may be your best choice. However, my wife and I chose to forego the SFH to live in Mountain View in a tri-level townhome for a variety of reasons:

-Better school district than some of the far flung suburbs
-Right in the heart of Silicon Valley (good for commute and home value appreciation)
-Better options if switching jobs (we can work anywhere from SF to SJ)
-More urban (to us, this is a positive)

Old 01-15-2012, 01:07 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
What you don't realize is that the listed price of a nice home is like the opening bid in an auction. The RE market is different than what you have experienced. You really need to talk to a local realtor to learn how it works.

Most home buyers discover that renting is actually cheaper. Yes rent will increase but if you find a place you like the next time the lease is up make it longer. Also renting will give you geographic flexibility should you find other employment opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose