Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2012, 03:56 PM

166 posts, read 482,888 times

Advertisements

After much research (and a mental adjustment on prices), I have determined that I want to rent a small house (1 or 2 bed) and have narrowed the areas down by what I can afford.

I leave tonight to head to that area and have three full days. My goal is to go to the main areas of each place and see if I like the vibe and hopefully narrow down the list to one or two places. I am staying in Mountain View.

Here is what I am planning and I am wondering if this is doable:

Day 1:

Pacifica, Burlingame, San Mateo, San Carlos and Redwood City

Day 2:

Sunnyvale, Santa Clara, Cupertino, Saratoga and NW San Jose

Day 3:

Fremont, Newark, Alameda

Thoughts? Advice?

*Also, just wanted to add a note that I have worked out a deal with my company that I will be working from home - so, commute not an issue.*

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by TecWmn; 01-21-2012 at 05:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 04:51 PM

264 posts, read 831,475 times
It sounds like you will be very tired out after this trip! Looking at your previous post about working near Santana row...day 1 seems like a complete waist IMO... You are looking at a good 1.5 hour commute at worst (1 way)...maybe 45 min at best. Who wants to spend most of their time in traffic? Very stressful.

Day 3 seems like a waist too... Alameda is FAR...Fremont and Newark a little closer but only really worth living in if you'll be working in milpitas IMO... You're still dealing with lots of traffic in these locations too.

Day 2 sounds great and seems like where you should be concentrating. Even though you may think its out of your price range you should take time to look at Los gatos too...very animal friendly (at least the downtown is)....look for places near Vasona park...or near Good Samaritan hospital (in San Jose bordering Los gatos) --will be more affordable than downtown Los gatos. There are sometimes places just in the foothills of Los gatos (in law units/cottage) or lower mountains, that are affordable too. Saratoga is beautiful too, but for someone single may not offer the right vibe. ...more a retired person/families type town. If you like the quiet vibe it is a perfect place though (very green / lots of trees, etc)... With the other places you mentioned in day 2 you will likely get a more industrial tech vibe...more claustrophic IMO.

Good luck with the recon mission!

Old 01-21-2012, 05:12 PM

166 posts, read 482,888 times
I worked out a deal with my company and I will be working from home 100% of the time. Guess I need to add that important piece of data to my original post. Thanks for the feedback, especially on Los Gatos.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:45 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Not sure what your question is: can you drive through all those towns on that scheduled day? Sure you can.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:38 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
If commute really isn't an issue - as in driving in only once a week or less - then on day 3, skip Fremont and Newark and add Berkeley, Albany and North Oakland (Rockridge, Claremont, Montclair) to the docket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose