Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2012, 01:09 AM

1 posts, read 4,393 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I know there's a bajillion threads similar but I can't find what I'm looking for (excuse my noob-ness). I got a job in Hayward and am looking to move up to the Bay and am considering the South Bay (Santa Clara/SJ area). I'm 23, single, looking for a city/town with people my age with a good nightlife but affordable! A place that is rich culturally, won't break my bank, and isn't stuck up. Ideally, I'd live in SF but...that is completely out of my price range. I don't want to live in Hayward (it seems a little rundown) and Fremont I hear isn't really fun. As for Pleasanton, Dublin, San Ramon the general consensus I get is that it is rich, stale suburbia. Oakland I hear can be fun but also extremely dangerous (not a fan!).

What about the peninsula? Don't know much about it.

How would the commute be from SJ to Hayward? I hear going south on the 880 can be terrible during peak times (8am/5pm) but I am not sure about the opposite way. I'd rather live somewhere close to fun than close to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 09:18 AM

23,524 posts, read 24,006,421 times
The commute from SJ to Hayward (NB I-880) during morning hours would be heavy, but not as heavy as in the opposite direction (Hayward to SJ). This is due to the commuter traffic that goes into Silicon Valley.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:00 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,148,496 times
If you're going from Hayward to San Jose in the AM, it can be stop and go for the entire trip. San Jose to Hayward is only slow until you get through Milpitas, and then similar in the PM.

Now, the cultural thing you're asking about is another matter. What actual kind of culture are you looking for? This question always puzzles me since every place has a culture, it just might not be one you are comfortable with..

Old 09-02-2012, 10:46 AM

376 posts, read 653,526 times
Going from San Jose to Hayward isn't actually that bad. I do Fremont to Emeryville and it won't really back up until Union City for maybe the last 5 miles. Going home would probably be worse, depending on what time, anything after 4:30 and the flow really slows.
The issue with San Jose is that it's called "a city of 100,000 surrounded by a suburb of 800,000". Meaning outside of Downtown SJ, it's basically suburbia. The Peninsula is extremely expensive and also suburban.
I would honestly just do Fremont or Milpitas and drive downtown San Jose, but that's me. Barring that, there are new condos and Downtown SJ is trying to be more urban and happening with places like the 88 condos and another one called Axis I think. There's also some bars/clubs which are walkable and have young people. Just don't expect as exciting or varied as SF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose