Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 01:03 PM

344 posts, read 551,241 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at a possible position in Sunnyvale, am used to living in the wilder parts wherever I go. Looks like the mountains west of there might be a possibility. I don't need much house, but hike in a wide range and like solitude and lots of elevation change, ideally would live a short walk from a large wilderness area. I can handle any kind of weather, have been through earthquakes, car is 4WD and I know how to use it, know how to deal with firewood and snow and wild animals. Don't worry about that angle.

I also like to toddle along on my vintage bikes, so being away from main roads or having alternatives would be great, looks like (on the map) I could reach 1 and the coastal roads from those same mountains without difficulty.

Suggestions for location names to use for searching CL and local want-ads would be helpful. I'll assume I can't afford land up there, so will be looking for a cottage to rent.

Also, is 90k reasonable money for Analyst-level work in this area?

Any help or suggestions welcomed and appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 02:27 PM

493 posts, read 783,336 times
FELTON

BOULDER CREEK

BONNY DOON

PESCADERO

WOODSIDE

commuting to sunnyvale is a choice of either beautiful but gnarly back roads or packed stressful roads.

Old 11-23-2012, 03:48 PM

Excellent, thank you, I'll start looking those up. I live on the gnarly sort of road now, probably stick to that. :^)

Old 11-24-2012, 11:28 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,725,748 times
Check out Felton. There is a redwood state park nearby (maybe within walking distance depending on where in Felton you would live) along the San Lorenzo river and you can hike in the woods. Henry Cowell Redwoods SP

Big Basin Redwood State Park is also nearby and you can hike for miles, even out to the ocean.

Old 11-24-2012, 03:20 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Several lustrum ago my wifes granma had a cabin by Coyote Lake, by Gilroy. There mite be something fer rent over that way.

We had some wonderful times fishin (biggun bass) & campin by the lake. good hiking,biking area.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:52 PM

Thank you all for the replies. Find out about the interview tomorrow. Hoping for a telecommuting option. :^)

Old 11-25-2012, 12:56 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
A good place to start looking:

Donner Land & Homes - Santa Cruz Mountains Real Estate

Old 11-26-2012, 01:20 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seedy View Post
I'm looking at a possible position in Sunnyvale, am used to living in the wilder parts wherever I go. Looks like the mountains west of there might be a possibility.
You can definitely find the solitude, wildnerness and rugged mountain living that you're looking for in the Santa Cruz mountains. Don't expect much snow, but you will find wet, damp conditions due to the rainfall and lack of sunlight in many areas up there.

My understanding is that property is much, much cheaper than anywhere in the Silicon Valley, so you might in fact be able to afford to buy a house.

There's plenty of houses and cabins all over the place up there. I'm not a "local" so I don't know much, but one of the bigger towns is called Scotts Valley so you might start looking there. But literally you can find properties spread out all over the mountains, even way off the beaten path.

To answer your other question, yes $90k is about right for your job title. But if you're a senior-level person with many years experience in the industry, you should be making over $100k

Old 11-26-2012, 02:38 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Over in unincorporated areas West of Woodside there are some interesting places. Just poke around the back roads.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:34 PM

Thank you all for filling in blanks. I have found places in the past just by driving where I like the scenery and then looking for signs, good reminder to not worry so much. If I get the job and move up, first round is on me. :^)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose