Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 02:26 PM

14 posts, read 49,118 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Northern California from the East Coast. I'll be working half my time in San Jose and half in Watsonville. I'm single, 40, earn a good amount, and want to live some place that balances these goals:

1) Reasonable commute (say, 45 min) to both San Jose and Watsonville.
2) Reasonably upscale community with something going on: A central downtown with restaurants, a few bars, etc. I'm not 25 so it doesn't need to be party-central, but i'm also single w/ no kids so a sleepy family church town with nothing going on would be boring (unless its close proximity to a fun area).

Your help is appreciated. Any ideas??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 04:27 PM

702 posts, read 954,121 times
Los Gatos or Saratoga are your best bets for balancing commute times with amenities, though the singles scene probably leaves a lot to be desired. If you don't mind a longer commute on your Watsonville days, the Santana Row area of San Jose would be your best choice for social life.

Old 12-23-2012, 04:34 PM

14 posts, read 49,118 times
Thanks! How long a commute would that be? I would be driving to Watsonville at 7am and back at 6pm.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:56 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,044,110 times
Living in SJ (or nearby) and driving to Watsonville would be a reverse commute; most of the traffic would be in the opposite direction (except when near San Jose or Watsonville).

You can use https://maps.google.com/ to get average drive times as well as during commute hours, since it gives "in current traffic" driving times as well. So type in your work addresses, and then ask for directions from a street in your in the prospective neighborhood. Do it at 7AM and you'll see the drive times.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:10 PM

345 posts, read 1,031,082 times
Gilroy or Morgan Hill would be the most centrally locally. Just drive into San Jose for entertainment. There's no-place hip/exciting enough around here that you need to live there. Los Gatos/Campbell isn't really cool for older singles and Santana Row is extremely overpriced. Super busy over there too with Valley Fair mall basically across the street.

As far as the commute and ease of day-to-day life I'd recommend Morgan Hill.

Old 12-24-2012, 01:15 AM

1,963 posts, read 3,044,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Millennium View Post
Gilroy or Morgan Hill would be the most centrally locally. Just drive into San Jose for entertainment. There's no-place hip/exciting enough around here that you need to live there. Los Gatos/Campbell isn't really cool for older singles and Santana Row is extremely overpriced. Super busy over there too with Valley Fair mall basically across the street.

The hell that is the commute from Gilroy/Morgan Hill into San Jose would more than (negatively) offset being 15-20 minutes closer to Watsonville.

I'd live fairly close (?3-8 miles?) to the San Jose work location, because the commute to Watsonville from San Jose will be a piece of cake (most of the traffic trying to go in the opposite direction). Personally, I think Campbell could be a great choice. The old downtown (all 4 blocks of it ) has a few bars, and you could take the light rail into downtown SJ to hit the dance clubs and bars, and not have to worry about a designated driver. There *are* bad areas of Campbell (run down, not gangs) but most of it is in pretty nice shape and is pretty affordable.

Old 12-24-2012, 05:23 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Millennium View Post

This is true; although I'm not really sure if Morgan Hill to Watsonville would really be all that much closer, would it? If I had that commute situation, I'd live in Los Gatos if I could afford it.

I do agree Santana Row is overpriced and besides the traffic, there is also a lot of noise on weekend nights. It might be fun to go there on weekends but you wouldn't want to live there. A friend of mine checked out the apartments over the bars/shops and he got word from the bartenders there that they are NOT well soundproofed.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:22 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,283,984 times
While commuting from the Silicon Valley would be a reverse commute, I still think it would be hell. It is a windy road and it can be very treacherous during the rainy season. I'd still with something closer to work....either Santa Cruz or Capitola would fit the bill.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:26 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,850,657 times
I was thinking Santa Cruz based on what you're looking for.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:22 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
I originally thought of Santa Cruz, but if you can afford it I would try to stay in the Los Gatos area or nearby. So many more options for lifestyle I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose