Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 02:26 PM

16 posts, read 25,384 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'd just like some financial advice regarding living off of minimum wage in SJ. I'm a 23 yr old female college student with one more semester of college to go in Vancouver, Canada.

I'm planning on taking a break before finishing my undergrad degree and moving to the Bay area in September to study for a grad entrance exam which I'll be taking in May in SF.

I'll only have about $4k saved up before the move and plan on working full time once I get there. This isn't meant to be a vacation by any stretch of the imagination and living in luxury is not an option. Assuming that I can't find ANYTHING better than min. wage work, is this breakdown of monthly finances reasonable?

Income:

Work 40 hrs/week ($10/hr) = $1600/month
(I have no idea what tax, retirement other deductions are in California- can someone answer that? Also is a 40 hour work week reasonable?)

Assuming that I won't be robbed of more than 30% I'm left with $1120/month.

Costs:

Rent = $650 including utilities (obviously a roommate situation)
Food =$150
Personal Care = $80
Cell phone= $50
Transit = $70 (I think that's what a month pass costs in the Bay area if I'm not mistaken. I may save on this anyway because I prefer to commute by bike.)
TOTAL: $1000
Saving: $120

My first major concern is being able to find 40 hours of work a week with reasonable working hours (no night shift for instance). I am a visible ethnic and religious minority - I'm hoping that won't be any more of a problem than it is in other metropolitan areas. However I'm guessing it might be a little different south of the border. I've lived in Vancouver almost all my life and experienced little racism/Islamaphobia in general and none when it comes to employment. I'd appreciate it if someone pointed out possible differences.

My other major concern is safety. Just the though that people can be walking around with guns scares me. That's not something I have to think about in Canada (for the most part). The metroVancouver area has had 215 homicides since 2009, can the difference be just population differences? (metroVan=2.4 million, Bay Area= 7.1 million)

Thanks in advance!

For background on my relocating situation see these 2 threads:
//www.city-data.com/forum/san-j...childhood.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/legal...childhood.html

Last edited by ihaveaplan; 05-19-2013 at 02:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 03:17 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
What about an au pair position? That would give you housing and income.

I'm assuming you know about finding ads and placing ads on craigslist.org?

I manage an apt bldg in Santa Clara, next to Santa Clara University. There is a law school there. Santa Clara in general, and this neighborhood in particular is very safe. North San Jose is right on the other side of campus.

I only rent studios and one-bedrooms, so don't normally have room for rent situations here, but...

You might look into a sublet situation or roommate situation with SCU students. They have a university website where off-campus housing rooms and sublets are listed:

Santa Clara University - Student Life - Off-Campus Housing -Rental Listings

Would it be an option for you to get a job at Starbucks now, while you're in Canada? Then perhaps it would be easy to transfer here? There are Starbucks all over the place here.

Retail Careers | Starbucks Coffee Company

If I was your Mom, I'd feel safe having you live in Santa Clara. And you may even want to stay and go to law school here.

Old 05-19-2013, 03:20 PM

157 posts, read 218,659 times
Keep in mind that many minimum-wage jobs will be limited to part-time so that the employer does not have to provide health insurance benefits. I wouldn't count on 40 hours per week from one employer.

Old 05-19-2013, 11:43 PM

Yes, I do have an ad up on CL amongst other sites, and Starbucks was on my mind I've already gotten one response from a grad student wanting to share a place up in Oakland. If I'm not mistaken min. wage would be 8/hr there and I don't think that would work. On the other hand if I'm able to commute to SF min wage there is 10.5/hr....

I'm afraid although I get told a LOT that I'm "good with kids" I'm just not interested in child-care.

cornblitz - Yeah I realized that too since it's only 9 months I'm thinking of getting insurance from here before I go so that I don't have to worry about that. But that would be another cost I would have to look into.

On the other hand I am qualified for some higher wage jobs. While in college so far I've worked with at-risk youth, as a medical receptionist, as a tutor and I have a ridiculous amount of volunteer experience (food banks, summer camps, schools, school clubs etc). I also speak Spanish and basic ASL which might help.

Last edited by ihaveaplan; 05-20-2013 at 12:09 AM..

Old 05-19-2013, 11:52 PM

Question: If I live in Oakland but work in SF would I be paid SF min. wage?

Old 05-20-2013, 08:27 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,152,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveaplan View Post
Question: If I live in Oakland but work in SF would I be paid SF min. wage?
Yes, but commuting to SF for minimum wage sounds like a bum deal.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:08 PM

767 posts, read 1,743,562 times
Quote:
On the other hand I am qualified for some higher wage jobs. While in college so far I've worked with at-risk youth, as a medical receptionist, as a tutor and I have a ridiculous amount of volunteer experience (food banks, summer camps, schools, school clubs etc). I also speak Spanish and basic ASL which might help.
Use this.

Speaking Spanish in the SFBA is a near requirement in nearly any customer service position given our large (illegal) immigrant population.

Service jobs are generally dominated by those very immigrants, though, who are neither students nor otherwise transients and are dedicated to do those jobs for at least the mid term. That's why you'll be competing with them.

Also, jobs here in nearly any type of work are had mostly through social connections and in some cases through outright nepotism.

Combine those factors with our continuing recession and large population of poor who will work for less here and you have a difficult metro in which to get a job.

In order to get a job, you're going to have to use some avenue that many people here don't have or distinguish yourself from the crowd with a skillset most people don't have.

Re: commuting into SF:

Will you need to go everyday for the usual 9-5 business day?

Or just some days?

Can you commute off-hours to avoid rush hours?

Old 05-20-2013, 10:40 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,554,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Yes, but commuting to SF for minimum wage sounds like a bum deal.
I would say working anywhere for minimum wage is a bum deal, though you can live in an okay area in San Jose, for a lot less than in SF, and commuting by VTA will cost a lot less than BART. Either way, minimum wage here is not really even really subsistence wages for 40hrs/week. I think you need to go up to 50hrs/week for that. OP should seek better employment than minimum wage, in truth the minimum is meant more to give jobs to those that are in ways dependent on family members or others, and don't need to get enough money to live as someone else is helping them out. If OP is from somewhere else I would discourage them from moving here, low skilled workers here don't need more competition.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
Also, jobs here in nearly any type of work are had mostly through social connections and in some cases through outright nepotism.

Combine those factors with our continuing recession and large population of poor who will work for less here and you have a difficult metro in which to get a job.
Yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
Re: commuting into SF:

Will you need to go everyday for the usual 9-5 business day? Or just some days? Can you commute off-hours to avoid rush hours?
If I choose to commute to SF it would have to be from somewhere closer like Alameda. I bike to work and biking from SJ to SF every day would not be worth the extra 50 cents!! (On that note, the bay area does have bike lanes ... right?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
I would say working anywhere for minimum wage is a bum deal, though you can live in an okay area in San Jose, for a lot less than in SF, and commuting by VTA will cost a lot less than BART.
The entire metroVancouver transit system is under one company so
I'm a little confused as to the whole BART/VTA thing. Do different companies run transit in different regions?

Quote:
Either way, minimum wage here is not really even really subsistence wages for 40hrs/week.
So my financial breakdown just isn't realistic, huh?

Quote:
OP should seek better employment than minimum wage, in truth the minimum is meant more to give jobs to those that are in ways dependent on family members or others, and don't need to get enough money to live as someone else is helping them out. If OP is from somewhere else I would discourage them from moving here, low skilled workers here don't need more competition.
Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking I'd be better off securing a job while here before I move or at the very least have some interviews lined up for when I get there!

Old 05-21-2013, 08:53 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,152,138 times
Quote:
The entire metroVancouver transit system is under one company so
I'm a little confused as to the whole BART/VTA thing. Do different companies run transit in different regions?
Yeah, it's crazy. In San Francisco alone you have MUNI within the city and Daly City, the BART system, Golden Gate Transit going to Marin, Caltrain going to San Jose, Samtrans going to San Mateo County, AC Transit going to the East Bay, WestCat going to Richmond, and I'm sure there's even more I'm forgetting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose