Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 09:59 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times

Advertisements

Alameda is expensive. Really nice, but expensive.

Commuting to SF is expensive. Don't know if biking across the bridge is realistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 10:17 AM

765 posts, read 2,441,233 times
Quote:
My other major concern is safety. Just the though that people can be walking
around with guns scares me. That's not something I have to think about in Canada
(for the most part). The metroVancouver area has had 215 homicides since 2009,
can the difference be just population differences? (metroVan=2.4 million, Bay
Area= 7.1 million)
I would be more concerned about not having healthcare here, than being shot. As a Canadian, you are used to going to the Dr. for free (well after waiting a couple of weeks for an appointment). A Dr. visit here may set you back a couple of hundred $$ + Rx. Travel insurance will not cover you, and neither will your Canadian health care.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:14 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Alameda is expensive. Really nice, but expensive.

Commuting to SF is expensive. Don't know if biking across the bridge is realistic.
Can't be done, not yet.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:14 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,080,225 times
I'd finish up your degree and then look for work, having a college degree will make you a decent candidate for random office jobs--just hit up every temp agency in SF and San Jose. Hopefully you can get something making $15 an hour or more. You'd probably have to live with roommates.

Why do you have to live in the Bay Area, and why do you want to limit yourself by not finishing up your degree before moving down? In any case, use the same financial strategies you use in Vancouver, which is also not a cheap place to live compared with typical wages.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:55 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,861,476 times
I agreed with all the above posts. Finish your degree first, get your money, then go see the world.

Gotta walk before you can run...

Old 05-22-2013, 01:05 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
You don't live on minumum wage. You barely survive.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:39 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,555,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
You don't live on minumum wage. You barely survive.
I think the $10+ minimum wages in SF an SJ might be misleading some people to think you can actually live here on minimum wage, missing the fact that SF in particular is one of the most expensive places to live in the US, and SJ is not way behind. At least SJ is cheaper than Williston, ND. But yeah it doesn't really allow one to live here by themselves, or really roommates without working about 50hrs/week, there is a reason it is so high.

I'm afraid people moving here for minimum wage jobs will depress a lot of wages at the low end, hopefully that won't happen.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:41 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,915,578 times
Scratch that. I need glasses.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:14 AM

1,152 posts, read 3,201,200 times
OP, out of curiosity, why come to the Bay Area? Obviously it's an expensive area, but more than that, I know it is hard to get by on low wages in an area you don't know. At least in Vancouver - you are familiar with the area, have contacts, know the neighborhoods, may know where you can get cheaper housing - that sort of thing. That kind of knowledge is invaluable when trying to scrape by. You'll be at a major disadvantage here!

My recommendation would be to stay in Van for your semester off - you can leverage your existing network to find a job and place to stay, and study for your exam up there. Then just come down to SF to take the test, then go back. You also don't lose your healthcare that way.

There's also immigration rules and all of that, assuming you are a Canadian citizen. You can't just come to the US and work.

Frankly, the whole thing just isn't worthwhile for a short stint while studying for a test. Stay in Van, study for your test, fly to SF to take it, go back and finish school. THEN if you truly want to relocate you can leverage your degree and make a proper move down here.

Vancouver is a pretty awesome place anyway!

Old 05-23-2013, 10:17 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
I did read of this guy that had an internship at one of the tech places in the Valley. He was given money to support himself during the time frame of the internship. (If I remember correctly). After the funding ended, his internship ended, he had this plan to continue working there while living at the company head quarters. They had free food, a gym to not only work out but shower at, and just about everything else you would need to live. During the year or so he was there he developed a business of his own. Everyone knew him and never questioned why he was there. Many people work unusual hours in the tech industry anyway. Eventually he was caught because someone suspected someone of living in the building. By the time he was caught though he had allready developed funding for his new startup, bought a home, and rented the rooms out to other people to help make the payments on the home. I am going by memory here so if someone can remember the story maybe they can fill in any part I missed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose