Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 01:49 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,747,759 times

Advertisements

For those who might be wondering why 280 is so covered in tagging and graffiti, these days:

Article here

In a nutshell, the graffiti on the freeway overpasses and on the railroad trestles (such as the infamous RIP Tommy) are not under the authority of the city; the state and CalTrain/Union-Pacific (respectively) have to clean them up.

Ugh, I hope they're able to do something about it soon. Some of the exit signs on 280 are vandalized to the point you can't read the name of the exit, I'm sure that's confusing for folks who are in from out of town. I really hate seeing the tagging every morning on my way in to work, it just looks so awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 03:11 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,863,564 times
Yep, and it's sad. I don't think we're even allowed to "volunteer" to clean up the graffiti either

Old 05-06-2013, 04:20 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,556,264 times
I've seen some freeway signs where the graffiti was cleaned up, but either they managed to remove the reflective paint, or left traces of paint on it that are not visible in daylight, but mess up the reflective effect, so when you drive at night the top half looks dark while you can read the bottom half. Caltrans probably needs to replace those signs.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:31 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,853,578 times
Need to make those overpasses inaccessible to the bratty youth. Electrify them. Deep fried tagger ain't gonna tag.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:29 PM

157 posts, read 218,980 times
Its horrible -- worst its ever been in the time I have lived here. And an embarrassment when friends, family, and colleagues visit.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:14 AM

767 posts, read 1,744,861 times
its far more prevalent on the east side which is simply a reflection of that area's demography
i think it should be left in place as, like poverty, it will continually and unstoppably manifest itself and burden the taxpayers
im sure the city/county/whomever is glad for the graffiti, tho, as it gives them a justification for expansion of subsidized (painting) services and an inevitable tax increase to support it
unsurprisingly, the people who are doing the vandalizing are likely those living on subsidized social services
thats the way it has long been- those who receive something for nothing are those who show their gratitude by increasing the burden they impose on their benefactors
its as if some people are capable only of imposing a burden on everyone else

Old 05-07-2013, 10:45 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,044,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
its far more prevalent on the east side which is simply a reflection of that area's demography
i think it should be left in place as, like poverty, it will continually and unstoppably manifest itself and burden the taxpayers
im sure the city/county/whomever is glad for the graffiti, tho, as it gives them a justification for expansion of subsidized (painting) services and an inevitable tax increase to support it
unsurprisingly, the people who are doing the vandalizing are likely those living on subsidized social services
thats the way it has long been- those who receive something for nothing are those who show their gratitude by increasing the burden they impose on their benefactors

As a volunteer for graffiti abatement here in Newark, I have to disagree with pretty much every point you've made. I refuse to let my community be overcome by the weak-minded acts of others. Much of the graffiti around the Bay Area is cleaned up by volunteers who care about the communities they live in.

The problem lately in San Jose is that agencies like Caltrains, railroad companies etc. can't get their asses in gear and clean up their properties. For the most part, San Jose is reasonably graffiti-free, apart from state roadways, railroad right-of-ways, etc. that are out of the city's jurisdiction. It's mainly the freeway overpasses and railway bridges that are looking crappy along area freeways these days.

Taggers are no different than a dog who goes around peeing to mark its territory. It's a feeble attempt to claim territory. Most of us would prefer to not feel like we live in the hood everywhere we go.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:54 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,853,578 times
Just couldn't pass up another opportunity to vilify Mexicans, huh?. This obsession rivals that of Doc Goldstein and Oakland crime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
thats the way it has long been- those who receive smething for nothing are those who show their gratitude by increasing the burden they impose on their benefactors

Old 05-07-2013, 01:00 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,069,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Just couldn't pass up another opportunity to vilify Mexicans, huh?. This obsession rivals that of Doc Goldstein and Oakland crime.
I tend to think that a lot of taggers are high school kids living in places like Mountain View, Palo Alto and Los Altos, in other words the rich kids. Sure, there is gang related tagging going on but that's not all of it, and not all gangs are Mexican.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:45 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,168,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I tend to think that a lot of taggers are high school kids living in places like Mountain View, Palo Alto and Los Altos, in other words the rich kids. Sure, there is gang related tagging going on but that's not all of it, and not all gangs are Mexican.
Gang tagging is typically black paint and block letters. The artistic stuff is dumb kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose