Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 07:05 PM

4 posts, read 9,440 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm starting a new job in Sunnyvale, and I am looking for places to live without breaking the bank. Ideally, I'd like to budget about $1k/month on rent on a studio. After searching on CL, it seems like this is unrealizable if I want to have a very short--or possibly even a bikeable commute--by living in Sunnyvale, so I want to consider living a a little farther from work. Does anyone have recommendations for the surrounding areas that are relatively safe without too long a commute (~20 minutes). Is this doable, or will I have to stretch my budget? If I can be very close to work, I might consider stretching my budget to about $1200/1300.

I'm not too particular about the actual area; granted, being close to a big grocery store (are there any good local/organic grocery stores in the area?) would be nice. I like to maintain an active lifestyle, but most of my needs in that department can be met with a gym that's relatively close to where I'll work, so I'm not too concerned about that. Proximity to a variety of restaurants is a plus, but not a hard requirement; I like all types of food =)

Generally, I'm unfamiliar with the area; what areas are congested during the morning and afternoon commutes and in which direction? I have read that generally commuting up the peninsula toward SF is pretty brutal; does this mean commuting in San Jose would be very pricy?

Thanks in advance!

If there's any other information that would help make recommendations or point me in a good direction, don't hesitate to ask!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 11:25 AM

23,544 posts, read 24,041,250 times
You are going to need to increase your budget to find a place to live, unless you want roomates.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:24 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
I just did a Craigslist search for Sunnyvale, and if you change your max rent to $1300, you'll get some hits:

In case you don't already know, click the button that says "neighborhoods" and that's where you can filter to get just Sunnyvale ads:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/a...edrooms=&nh=44

I live in Santa Clara next to the university, and it's a nice area with some affordable apts because of the students. I drive to the Valley Medical Center Clinic in Sunnyvale on Fair Oaks from here, and it takes me 20 minutes. That's a ways into Sunnyvale. Depending on where your job is, might not be that far.

SF bay area apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

There are Trader Joe's and Whole Earth Foods, but they're a 10 - 15 minute drive from me. Although, there is a Saturday farmer's market that's just 2 blocks away. And there's a Safeway on the other side of campus - easy walk.

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 05-21-2013 at 09:30 PM.. Reason: Cut and pasted the wrong link - doh!

Old 05-21-2013, 11:09 PM

310 posts, read 687,120 times
You might consider renting the master bedroom and half of the attached garage in a house that is entirely rented to renters. You should get a locking door, a full private bathroom and a sealed garage (which you wouldn't even get with a studio).

Old 05-24-2013, 12:13 PM

Hi,

Thanks for your responses! I think I will have to consider increasing my budget or trying to find a room/share situation. I still have some time, so fortunately, I'm not pressured to try and find something quick. I'll at least have some say in where I want to be.

Thanks!

Old 05-29-2013, 03:23 PM

Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to ask a follow-up without creating a new thread, since topically, it's very similar.

On the subject of commute times, can anyone recommend safe places that are within reasonable commuting time of about 20 minutes during the morning/evening rush (is this even possible?) given that my office will be in Sunnyvale near the west of Lawrence Expressway just south of the 101? Are there certain neighborhoods to consider and avoid based on the Craigslist filters?

Thanks

Old 06-15-2013, 09:24 AM

1 posts, read 2,533 times
I don't think there are specifically any "bad" areas within 20 minutes of Sunnyvale, except the random trashy street full of apartments or something. The problem is that I don't think there are any neighborhoods 20 minutes away that are going to be significantly less expensive. Thats just my opinion. I work in Sunnyvale. I live about 20 minutes away with no traffic, but 1 hour away during rush hour.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:55 AM

765 posts, read 2,441,447 times
I agree with Nomoresnow - and add Santa Clara University area to your list, and check out the Rivermark area. The neighborhoods off of Lawerence in Santa Clara seem nice. North San Jose (Rosegarden area) is an easy commute if you take Coleman to Central Expressway.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:53 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,861,476 times
Good grief easybay, OP is looking for affordable option and you tell him/her to rent in Rose Garden?

OP, the area of Sunnyvale you're working at is filled with either tech or biotech firms, and the residence immediately surrounding them are pretty "ehhh". When I mean "ehh" I mean, not bad, not good, very average. There's a small strip club in that neighborhood but is pretty quiet as well. It's safe, from what I see as I used to work around there and have a few friends who lived in the mobile home park off Tasman and Lawrence. I never see/had troubles around there.

I would recommend Rivermark as well if you can afford it. Santa Clara University is a bit far from your work area, though...

Old 06-16-2013, 08:04 AM

765 posts, read 2,441,447 times
Quote:

Thanks for your responses! I think I will have to consider increasing my
budget or trying to find a room/share situation
I live in the Rosegarden - and 2 of my direct neighbors (one across the street from me, and one next door), both own their homes and have roommates. AND the people next to them are renters, and they often have a new person coming and going - so I might assume the tenants are renting rooms out too. OP your best situation with your budget is to rent a room - you can find a NICE home in a NICE area in your budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose