Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2014, 07:12 AM

39 posts, read 59,073 times

Advertisements

I see them around in a lot of places, some interchanges or exit ramps aren't lit at all. They have light poles but they are not on. I see that a lot around San Jose. Do you see that situation a lot in Peninsula or East Bay?
Some of those are mostly around more sketchy areas but when you get off on local streets they are perfectly lit everywhere. Are any portions of freeways lit in Bay Area or California at all besides bridges? Most states I have been too have fully lit highways (not just on interchanges) in urban areas whether large cities or suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 10:46 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,074 times
9 times out of 10 it's from low-life copper thieves who break into utility boxes and steal copper wiring, causing the street lights to not work. There was an article about this awhile back in the SJ Mercury News "Roadshow" section. I've seen this problem in places all over the Bay Area.

As long as copper continues to be valuable and shady recycle centers continue to accept "questionable" copper, it's going to continue.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mr-roadsh...e-280-680-dark

Last edited by mstnghu2; 02-14-2014 at 10:59 AM..

Old 02-14-2014, 02:12 PM

39 posts, read 59,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
9 times out of 10 it's from low-life copper thieves who break into utility boxes and steal copper wiring, causing the street lights to not work. There was an article about this awhile back in the SJ Mercury News "Roadshow" section. I've seen this problem in places all over the Bay Area.

As long as copper continues to be valuable and shady recycle centers continue to accept "questionable" copper, it's going to continue.

Roadshow: Eerie darkness on I-280 and I-680 - San Jose Mercury News
That's strange, I haven't seen that problem in Chicagoland, or Milwaukee but I am pretty sure theft exists there too. But over there is a lot of cameras and state highway patrols on roads pulling out cars everyday. In Bay Area I see cars pulled over, but I have seen that more often in Midwest. There is however lowered speed limit in most urban areas only 55 mph in Illinois unless you drive in rural areas that have 65mph speed limit. And most drivers there drive fast 70-80, they don't drive 55 miles or below, some do but much much less than in Bay Area or even here closer in Los Angeles or Vegas.

I guess its little easier to enforce anti-theft measures in Chicagoland since counties can charge higher property taxes (property prices there are lower though but no limit on increase) and most stretches of highways (especially outside Cook county) are tollways but cost of tolls are much lower than average in this country. Gas taxes are higher than average and they are highest in the city of Chicago.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:58 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
The market for suspect copper around here has some peculiar characteristics. One thing to keep in mind is, we have one of the key bulk cargo ports here (Port Of Redwood City) with many ships taking scrap metal to China and Russia. That makes it really easy to fence the stuff quickly and make it disappear.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:16 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
The less illumination, the better to not see the potholes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose