Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 05:37 PM

30,398 posts, read 52,011,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
A one bedroom apartment in downtown San Jose is about 1000 a month.
Maybe if you travel back in time to the year 2005, LOL. Where did you get this information, and do you currently live here? I've been in the market for a new apartment, and would literally take anything affordable & pet-friendly... bad neighborhoods don't even bother me, since I've lived in EPA, Hunter's Point, Stockton, etc. So far I can't find anything for less than $1400-1600/mo, and those are the CHEAP places.

Granted, I need a place which will take my dog, so that eliminates about 80-90% of available rentals - but even when I un-check the "dogs allowed" box on craigslist, there is nothing even close to $1000/mo. Aside from that, I do agree about the whining from people making $80K+. As I said above, I'm getting by on much less than that! But I also don't have credit cards, student loans, and all the other debts so many people (especially in our age group) carry around now. I just recently took out a small car loan, and even that is much less than average @ $163/mo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 09:30 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,077,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Maybe if you travel back in time to the year 2005, LOL.
Where did you get this information, and do you currently live here?
In 2013 I was living in a one bedroom apartment with two other guys (SJSU business majors), our total rent was $966.

Quote:
So far I can't find anything for less than $1400-1600/mo, and those are the CHEAP places.
lol...just use Craigslist, that's what everybody else does.

There are at least 14 of them in downtown for $1000 or less at this moment:

SF bay area apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

Quote:
Aside from that, I do agree about the whining from people making $80K+. As I said above, I'm getting by on much less than that!
Yeah, it's kind of ridiculous when people live in the area on minimum wage.

Quote:
But I also don't have credit cards, student loans, and all the other debts so many people (especially in our age group) carry around now. I just recently took out a small car loan, and even that is much less than average @ $163/mo.
Well, debt usually just results from bad choices. I've never had a credit card. I can understand student loans, though I was using the GI Bill when I was going to De Anza College recently...but surely if you're making $85,000 a year you can pay those off!

Old 03-18-2014, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Totally getting off topic, but what makes you assume everyone who drives could be using public transit?
I think most could...especially people who are working the standard hours, 9 am to 5 pm. When I blow by the bumper to bumper traffic on 87 at 55 mph on light rail, well, they're going roughly the same route I am, so I assume they could be on the train, too.

Quote:
I don't want to get specific on my locations, but trust me... there is literally NO way for me to commute from home to work without a car! I tried mapping it out on 511.org once, when my car needed some repairs, and it would take 2.5 hours with two transfers (both bus & train) to travel the 18 miles
So it is, in fact, possible for you to do it that way, just maybe not the best choice. 18 miles is far away though.

Quote:
(not to mention I work extremely odd/variable hours and days, thus eliminating the possibility of a ride share or carpool)
The extremely odd hours are killing you in terms of using transit.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:34 PM

578 posts, read 1,296,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
lol...just use Craigslist, that's what everybody else does.

There are at least 14 of them in downtown for $1000 or less at this moment:

SF bay area apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist
Most of those are no pets ... only one had the 'dogs allowed.'

This is what can make it difficult for folks around OP's price range. You get the places that allow dogs, which tend to be "luxury" apartment places. I've been seeing $1800 for a 1bd all over the map.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felinius View Post

This is what can make it difficult for folks around OP's price range. You get the places that allow dogs, which tend to be "luxury" apartment places. I've been seeing $1800 for a 1bd all over the map.
Well, whatever, it's not like you can't afford that at $85k! I couldn't because I make less than $1800 a month, but at $85k that's easily paid!

Or move in with roommates, the going rate for a room is like $500 a month and up.

Come on, people, stop whining!

Old 03-19-2014, 12:55 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,864,777 times
Quote:
Aside from that, I do agree about the whining from people making $80K+. As I said above, I'm getting by on much less than that!
I agree 100%. The Bay Area is nuts but you can still live here COMFORTABLY with that salary.

I think the keyword is COMFORTABLY. But to live here LUXURIOUSLY, you'd definitely need more than $85K unless you like to carry around large credit card debts.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:09 AM

30,906 posts, read 37,017,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by felinius View Post

I know it's heresy to say so, but a lot of people should give away their pets. Better yet, they should consider not getting them in the first place if they expect to be renters, especially in expensive areas. Pets are way more expensive than people realize.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:48 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,377,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
But to live here LUXURIOUSLY, you'd definitely need more than $85K...
You mean, like, ashtrays made from Silverback Gorilla Hands and Baby Seal Fir Coats?

Old 03-19-2014, 08:50 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,794,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jink View Post
If the trains have outlets I can plug my laptop into, I wouldn't be so partial on the idea of taking the train. I do iOS development as a hobby and I'm always plunking away at my laptop/iMac whenever I can. I'll take that into consideration.
the Caltrain cars with tables in them have outlets. The regular seats don't.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:52 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,794,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
You mean, like, ashtrays made from Silverback Gorilla Hands and Baby Seal Fir Coats?
no, what he said is true. $85k doesn't get you far around here, certainly not a luxurious or even "upper middle class" lifestyle. Your household needs to be making $250k+ for that.

People on this thread have been mentioning rental prices, but one thing to know is that most (all?) apartment complexes here require proof of rental insurance. Also utility bills are somewhat higher than what you would pay in other states, your internet connection is going to be about $50/month, you can expect your "new tenant rate" to last for a year, then they will increase it by $100-$200, .... so the $1800 rate someone mentioned for a 1 Bdrm is actually going to be more when you factor these other things in.'

Believe me living in this area eats in your wallet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose