Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 10:53 AM

865 posts, read 1,827,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
And can you please name one summer concert where you would have to walk several blocks to take the train? Do you mean to take light rail or to take Caltrain? Can you name some of these concerts?
The concerts on the lawn at SJSU. It was several blocks, after dark, to walk to lightrail (I guess I use the term 'train' too interchangeably). It's totally cool that you and anyone else are comfortable walking around there, good for you, but not everyone is!

Quote:
And when you say "safer summer park music venue" I hope you don't mean another city's summer park venue? To take your money to another city while asking San Jose to provide you services ranging from sewage to public safety is disgusting.
Actually, the concerts are free either way, so what I am doing is freeloading on another safer city's services while PAYING San Jose for the services I get, or more often don't get. I do get sewage and water service, though, thank goodness for that at least, but the prices have sky rocketed recently. I get little to no public safety services from San Jose where I live. They're too busy trying to keep downtown treading water.

Quote:
Sigh...more fearmongering. Here we go: Of all the many years of Christmas in the Park, there was only ONE instance of a stabbing, and that actually happened a block away from Christmas in the Park by the end of the carnival row on Park. You seem to forget that SJPD is out in full force at Christmas in the Park every year, and anything rowdy gets tamped down quicker than your kid can chomp through his cotton candy.
So, the carnival isn't considered part of Christmas in the Park? I refer to the whole downtown celebration area by that term. And regardless, it's not a history of violence at the event that bothers me, it's the area of the event has a history of violence.

Quote:
Please show us the links to the "every week there is a shooting in downtown". It is now September 19th, 2016, meaning that 34 weeks have gone by. I expect you to be able to show us 34 links to news articles regarding shooting in Downtown. Can you do that? No. So please stop the fearmongering and needless exaggeration.
Okay, you caught me, not weekly, just feels like it recently. Maybe the heat makes people more violent:
August
San Jose: Man killed in shooting near SJSU, city’s second slaying in two days – The Mercury News
Homicide near San Jose State: Second victim dies from shooting – The Mercury News
This guy getting tacos:
San Jose: Police identify man killed in downtown shooting outside taco truck – The Mercury News
2 Brothers Found Fatally Shot Near Downtown San Jose « CBS San Francisco

July
San Jose: Man fatally shot by robber he was chasing, police say – The Mercury News

If you feel safe still there at night, great, more power to you. Enjoy. There is a time in my life when I would have also. This thread wasn't titled "hey, show me why you love downtown San Jose and feel it's safe!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
If you're on guard going to Christmas In The Park, you must be scared of your own shadow. It's almost entirely families with young kids enjoying themselves at the park and across the street ice skating. I've never felt even slightly unsafe there...and I'm somebody who's always watching my surroundings and can usually spot sketchy people a mile away.
No, I just grew up in a large city (not a tiny rural spot) where if there was one murder or shooting per year was news, we didn't have gangs, and graffiti was due to bored kids. We did have homeless people, but not so many that they were on every corner and the city had enough facilities to take care of them at night indoors if they so chose.

So, that's my opinion. You have yours. That's what makes the world go round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 04:31 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
It's getting tough to find street parking. Almost as tough as SF now. And the parking garages are sort of expensive. It would be great if transit would go later - like 3AM late. I mean, transit besides the 22 bus.

Old 10-04-2016, 12:28 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,225,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
We were talking specifically about shootings downtown. Those 24 homicides happened all over the city.
Nearly all homicides in San Jose are gang-related . Once in a while a DV situation.

But there are very few truly random homicides that represent a general danger to the average member of the public (muggings, serial killings, etc)

Old 10-04-2016, 04:20 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
It's getting tough to find street parking. Almost as tough as SF now. And the parking garages are sort of expensive. It would be great if transit would go later - like 3AM late. I mean, transit besides the 22 bus.
I'm with you there...

I wish our late-night transit options were a bit better, especially Caltrain (the Northbound trains out of Diridon end running pretty early out of SJ, embarrassingly at...10:30 PM). I find myself having to leave events earlier than I'd like, which is too bad.

Old 10-04-2016, 05:09 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,926,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I'm with you there...

I wish our late-night transit options were a bit better, especially Caltrain (the Northbound trains out of Diridon end running pretty early out of SJ, embarrassingly at...10:30 PM). I find myself having to leave events earlier than I'd like, which is too bad.
In the suburb of London, England, they have the night buses/trains that begin at 6PM and run until 7AM and runs every 5 to 10 mins to Central London. A decent transit system!

Old 10-05-2016, 03:41 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,044,110 times
And they just started (this summer) running certain underground lines all night long as well. TRUELY a world-class city with world-class infrastructure (unlike San Jose).

Old 10-10-2016, 09:01 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
In the suburb of London, England, they have the night buses/trains that begin at 6PM and run until 7AM and runs every 5 to 10 mins to Central London. A decent transit system!
London is how much older than SJ?

Old 10-11-2016, 03:41 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,926,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
It's not age: Just mentality of the gov./people

Old 10-13-2016, 01:17 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,861,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermomma View Post
The concerts on the lawn at SJSU. It was several blocks, after dark, to walk to lightrail (I guess I use the term 'train' too interchangeably). It's totally cool that you and anyone else are comfortable walking around there, good for you, but not everyone is!
That lawn is on 4th street. The station is on 2nd street and 1st street. You would take Paseo de San Antonio to 2nd street and 1st street stations. The road through there is generally lit and has a lot of pedestrians. I call BULL****.

Quote:
I get little to no public safety services from San Jose where I live. They're too busy trying to keep downtown treading water.
And where in San Jose do you live? To say that you get little to no public safety services is BULL****.

Quote:
So, the carnival isn't considered part of Christmas in the Park? I refer to the whole downtown celebration area by that term. And regardless, it's not a history of violence at the event that bothers me, it's the area of the event has a history of violence.
It is, that is why I included it. If it wasn't I wouldn't have bothered to mention it. So let me repeat it for you, since you can't read: ONE instance, at the far end of the carnival. One instance in 25 years. And there are no history of violence in that particular section. That's where the business district is. Nobody goes there except for working hours or if they're heading to the theaters.

This is irrational fear-mongering.

And I caught you more than just that. Of those 5 links you posted, only 3 are in Downtown. Of those 3 links, two of them belong to the same shooting.

You're going to have to do better than this. Much better...

Quote:
If you feel safe still there at night, great, more power to you. Enjoy. There is a time in my life when I would have also. This thread wasn't titled "hey, show me why you love downtown San Jose and feel it's safe!"
No this thread is not titled that. But it certainly isn't titled "Fearmongering in Downtown San Jose, where 3 murders in 1 square mile of an entertainment node scared the pants off of suburbanites" LOL

Quote:
No, I just grew up in a large city (not a tiny rural spot) where if there was one murder or shooting per year was news, we didn't have gangs, and graffiti was due to bored kids. We did have homeless people, but not so many that they were on every corner and the city had enough facilities to take care of them at night indoors if they so chose.
And which city would that be, if you don't mind. San Diego is the safest large city in America, San Jose is 2nd. Since you imply that your "large city" is safer than San Jose, I will assume that you grew up in San Diego.

Quote:
So, that's my opinion. You have yours. That's what makes the world go round.
You don't have just opinions. You have fear-mongering opinions. Unfounded, unexplained, and dangerous fear-mongering opinions.

Old 10-15-2016, 01:29 AM

1,963 posts, read 3,044,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Both municipalities were founded long before the internal combustion engine or metros/subways/buses/light-rail were invented, so it really doesn't matter, does it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose