Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2023, 10:36 PM

126 posts, read 72,008 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am looking into a possible relocation to The Bay Area. I currently live in Phoenix, and after almost seven years in Arizona, I want to try living somewhere else. My hope is that The Bay Area will provide the social life and friendly people that I really want. My only concern is the cost of living.

With this said, how much do social workers typically make in The Bay Area? Is it enough to make a decent living? Could I make a living on $60,000 to $80,000 a year? Can I get a decent apartment for at least $1,800 to $2,000 a month?

Overall, for someone who is single and doesn't make much, is it possible to think about moving to The Bay Area or is it unrealistic? I read somewhere that rent is the same as it is in the Phoenix area, but wages pay a whole lot better. I would live in San Jose or in the outskirts and would take the BART into the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2023, 12:12 PM

376 posts, read 653,112 times
No idea how much social workers make.

Having grown up in the Bay Area,

- Social life and friendly- San Jose and San Francisco are not particularly known for "bursting with friendliness" like the south and Midwest, but it's not known for rudeness like NY. To each their own of course and this is broad brushstrokes and stereotypes somewhat.
- Apartment for 2000 a month- I think yes, not in SJ or SF, maybe in Fremont or Walnut Creek or somewhere on the BART line.

Can you live here for 60 to 80k- sure- tons of people do. Will the quality of live be worth it or will you just be living check to check in an apartment? I don't know, do you have a car payment student loans, debt? Do you want to own a house- that'll be very difficult.

Old 02-03-2023, 12:40 PM

1,066 posts, read 782,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janoritish View Post
Overall, for someone who is single and doesn't make much, is it possible to think about moving to The Bay Area or is it unrealistic? I read somewhere that rent is the same as it is in the Phoenix area, but wages pay a whole lot better. I would live in San Jose or in the outskirts and would take the BART into the city.
This is a common misconception here on C-D. It's true that median pay is much higher in the Bay Area. This does NOT mean, however, that you will earn the median wage if you move there. The Bay Area stats are heavily skewed by the high number of tech jobs. Look on sites such as salary.com to get a better sense for the pay differences for YOUR specific job role. Typically, non-tech jobs in the Bay Area pay a ~10% premium, so a little more but not nearly enough to offset the cost of living.

Other sites (which cannot be named here) provide cost of living comparisons between cities. One of these sites shows that Phoenix has a Cost of Living and Cost of Housing index slightly higher than the national average. Whereas San Jose's Cost of Living is about 2x the national average, with Cost of Housing coming in at around 4x the national average.

There are 1 bd apartments in the Bay Area for under $2k, but know that these are not the same quality you find for that price in Phoenix. They tend to be older, smaller (~500 sq ft), in worse condition, sketchy neighborhoods, etc.

San Jose proper has 1 BART station, there is no commuting by BART from the outskirts of San Jose. VTA light rail/bus may be an option, but know that it's S-L-O-W! But if by "the city" you mean SF, then you're better off going CalTrain along the peninsula vs. BART up the East Bay.

Honestly, I think it's going to be tough to make it on $60k-$80k and still feel like you can afford experiences like eating out and social outings.

Last edited by AnythingOutdoors; 02-03-2023 at 12:50 PM..

Old 02-03-2023, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
This is a common misconception here on C-D. It's true that median pay is much higher in the Bay Area. This does NOT mean, however, that you will earn the median wage if you move there. The Bay Area stats are heavily skewed by the high number of tech jobs. Look on sites such as salary.com to get a better sense for the pay differences for YOUR specific job role. Typically, non-tech jobs in the Bay Area pay a ~10% premium, so a little more but not nearly enough to offset the cost of living.

Other sites (which cannot be named here) provide cost of living comparisons between cities. One of these sites shows that Phoenix has a Cost of Living and Cost of Housing index slightly higher than the national average. Whereas San Jose's Cost of Living is about 2x the national average, with Cost of Housing coming in at around 4x the national average.

There are 1 bd apartments in the Bay Area for under $2k, but know that these are not the same quality you find for that price in Phoenix. They tend to be older, smaller (~500 sq ft), in worse condition, sketchy neighborhoods, etc.

San Jose proper has 1 BART station, there is no commuting by BART from the outskirts of San Jose. VTA light rail/bus may be an option, but know that it's S-L-O-W! But if by "the city" you mean SF, then you're better off going CalTrain along the peninsula vs. BART up the East Bay.

Honestly, I think it's going to be tough to make it on $60k-$80k and still feel like you can afford experiences like eating out and social outings.
I have also looked into Walnut Creek and Concord. Those apartments start at $2,000 a month. What about food and groceries? I heard this rumor that there are bag fees in The Bay Area. Is this really true, that you have to pay for grocery bags? I found that very hard to believe. The kind of job I would have, especially since I would have to start at the bottom since I would be new to the state of California would be around 60k minimum and maybe 90k maximum, depends on if my experience would help.

Also, is The Bay Area very competitive or can anybody get a job like in Phoenix? In Phoenix, you can get a job anywhere with not that much competition. It wouldn't surprise me if The Bay Area is competitive. I imagine so many people desire to live there. I also am looking into Tracy and some of the small towns south of San Jose, close enough to where I can still drive 20-30 minutes and be in San Jose.

I also looked into Santa Rosa because you can take the ACE to the BART. I imagine it's an hour train ride.

Old 02-03-2023, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ippi76 View Post
No idea how much social workers make.

Having grown up in the Bay Area,

- Social life and friendly- San Jose and San Francisco are not particularly known for "bursting with friendliness" like the south and Midwest, but it's not known for rudeness like NY. To each their own of course and this is broad brushstrokes and stereotypes somewhat.
- Apartment for 2000 a month- I think yes, not in SJ or SF, maybe in Fremont or Walnut Creek or somewhere on the BART line.

Can you live here for 60 to 80k- sure- tons of people do. Will the quality of live be worth it or will you just be living check to check in an apartment? I don't know, do you have a car payment student loans, debt? Do you want to own a house- that'll be very difficult.
I have this assumption that people are not so overly rude over small things. I imagine people smile and hold doors for each other, small talk in grocery store lines, and neighbors know each other and have block parties and cookouts for the entire block. I imagine you see this a ton in Bay Area neighborhoods. My perception could be way off, since I only went to The Bay Area one time a few years ago as a tourist and did all the touristy things and not see so many local things. I didn't drive, I took the BART, and let me tell you, it's way way better and safer than the LA transit system, unless there was an area I never rode it in that might be dangerous.

Old 02-03-2023, 04:05 PM

Quote:
I have also looked into Walnut Creek and Concord. Those apartments start at $2,000 a month. What about food and groceries? I heard this rumor that there are bag fees in The Bay Area. Is this really true, that you have to pay for grocery bags? I found that very hard to believe. The kind of job I would have, especially since I would have to start at the bottom since I would be new to the state of California would be around 60k minimum and maybe 90k maximum, depends on if my experience would help.

Also, is The Bay Area very competitive or can anybody get a job like in Phoenix? In Phoenix, you can get a job anywhere with not that much competition. It wouldn't surprise me if The Bay Area is competitive. I imagine so many people desire to live there. I also am looking into Tracy and some of the small towns south of San Jose, close enough to where I can still drive 20-30 minutes and be in San Jose.

I also looked into Santa Rosa because you can take the ACE to the BART. I imagine it's an hour train ride.
Yes, there are bag fees if you don't bring your own.

I have no idea what hiring is like for your field in the Bay Area.

You're not getting from Tracy to San Jose in 30 minutes. With no traffic it's a minimum 1 hr drive. During rush hour it's closer to 2 hrs, each way. Do you really want to spend 3-4 hours a day commuting? The small towns south of San Jose (Morgan Hill, Gilroy) are more than 30 minutes at rush hour.

The ACE train doesn't go to Santa Rosa. Are you thinking SMART maybe?

The ACE from Tracy to San Jose takes about 2 hrs.

SMART can get you from Santa Rosa to the Golden Gate Ferry in Larkspur in a bit over an hour. Then you have to travel by boat across the bay and arrive in SF about 40 minutes later. From there you can transfer to BART and travel down the East Bay, which takes about an hour. In total, you're looking at at least 3 hrs from Santa Rosa to San Jose, plus waiting for two transfers.

Last edited by AnythingOutdoors; 02-03-2023 at 04:14 PM..

Old 02-03-2023, 04:13 PM

Quote:
I have this assumption that people are not so overly rude over small things. I imagine people smile and hold doors for each other, small talk in grocery store lines, and neighbors know each other and have block parties and cookouts for the entire block. I imagine you see this a ton in Bay Area neighborhoods. My perception could be way off, since I only went to The Bay Area one time a few years ago as a tourist and did all the touristy things and not see so many local things. I didn't drive, I took the BART, and let me tell you, it's way way better and safer than the LA transit system, unless there was an area I never rode it in that might be dangerous.
You have an idealized view of the Bay Area that doesn't match reality. Tourists in touristy areas are nice -- people are on vacation, relaxed, and having a good time -- which isn't the norm for the area. The Bay Area is expensive, people work long hours to make ends meet. Either demanding tech jobs, or people working multiple jobs. Traffic is bad, drivers are rude, and people are in a hurry. Crime on BART is an issue (https://abc7news.com/bart-attack-mun...nsit/12717375/).

I strongly recommend you spend a week there. Drive at rush hour. Try some of the train routes you're thinking about. Explore normal areas of the metro. Check out some of those $2k apartments for yourself.

Old 02-03-2023, 05:17 PM

Quote:
You have an idealized view of the Bay Area that doesn't match reality. Tourists in touristy areas are nice -- people are on vacation, relaxed, and having a good time -- which isn't the norm for the area. The Bay Area is expensive, people work long hours to make ends meet. Either demanding tech jobs, or people working multiple jobs. Traffic is bad, drivers are rude, and people are in a hurry. Crime on BART is an issue (https://abc7news.com/bart-attack-mun...nsit/12717375/).

I strongly recommend you spend a week there. Drive at rush hour. Try some of the train routes you're thinking about. Explore normal areas of the metro. Check out some of those $2k apartments for yourself.
If it's super stressful and chaotic, I might not consider it, but I do want to spend a week there. I imagined it would be friendlier than LA. I spent almost a week in LA, and it was not friendly at all, at least in downtown LA or anywhere off the LA metro lines. I think LA is more stressful because traffic is always terrible.

Old 02-03-2023, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Yes, there are bag fees if you don't bring your own.

I have no idea what hiring is like for your field in the Bay Area.

You're not getting from Tracy to San Jose in 30 minutes. With no traffic it's a minimum 1 hr drive. During rush hour it's closer to 2 hrs, each way. Do you really want to spend 3-4 hours a day commuting? The small towns south of San Jose (Morgan Hill, Gilroy) are more than 30 minutes at rush hour.

The ACE train doesn't go to Santa Rosa. Are you thinking SMART maybe?

The ACE from Tracy to San Jose takes about 2 hrs.

SMART can get you from Santa Rosa to the Golden Gate Ferry in Larkspur in a bit over an hour. Then you have to travel by boat across the bay and arrive in SF about 40 minutes later. From there you can transfer to BART and travel down the East Bay, which takes about an hour. In total, you're looking at at least 3 hrs from Santa Rosa to San Jose, plus waiting for two transfers.
Yes, I was talking about Tracy and those small towns outside of San Jose. So without traffic, you can get from Morgan Hill and Gilroy to San Jose in 30 minutes? Now what if I got a job in one of those towns, although hiring might be limited because they are small towns.

Yes I am talking about SMART. Is Tracy closer to Oakland? How far is the drive from Tracy to Oakland? If it's close enough, I'm fine with that. I'm fine with any small town close to either SF, Oakland, or San Jose. So to get to SF itself from Santa Rosa, it's a 1hr 40min journey without driving each way?

It is still a deal breaker. I imagine the small towns are very friendly around The Bay Area. I have a feeling many young people my age with kids raise them in those towns and they call The Bay Area the city.

Old 02-03-2023, 05:52 PM

Quote:
If it's super stressful and chaotic, I might not consider it, but I do want to spend a week there. I imagined it would be friendlier than LA. I spent almost a week in LA, and it was not friendly at all, at least in downtown LA or anywhere off the LA metro lines. I think LA is more stressful because traffic is always terrible.
Friendliness is difficult to quantify, and it varies by city and neighborhood. There are small enclaves that are more community/civic minded, which is also true in pockets of Phoenix. But the Bay Area also has vast tracks of urban sprawl where neighbors aren't necessarily friendly. It's not that they are bad people, just very busy. IMO, bedroom communities (like Tracy) can be even worse in this regard because so much time is spent commuting. Also, the Bay Area metro has a population of nearly 8M, just a lot of people everywhere so it's not like folks go around waving and saying "hi."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose