Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2023, 08:17 PM

1,070 posts, read 788,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
That being said, if you ever do decide to move up here I'd recommend the Santa Cruz Mountains. I've been in this area (Scotts Valley and Boulder Creek) for some years now, commuting to a good-paying job in the valley. That drive isn't for the weak, but if you're confident and competent it's no biggie; 45min each way for me, and zero traffic at the times I'm coming/going. People are laid-back and friendly, housing prices are lower, and it has that small-town vibe but with access to amenities. I don't want to pitch it too hard, because we like it how it is! But the rest of the Bay Area seems not to care, since they like their urban-suburban lifestyles. So I guess it doesn't hurt to mention.
Santa Cruz was already expensive before the pandemic, then it got worse with remote workers flooding in. According to Zumper median rent for a 1-bed is about the same in Santa Cruz as San Jose ($2300 vs $2500). Scotts Valley prices fall somewhere between. Some of the small mountain towns are a bit less expensive, but with longer commute on 9 (or Bear Creek Rd) vs. 17.

I did the drive from Scotts Valley to the Silicon Valley for 10 years. I don't recommend it unless the pay is *very* good and makes up for all the gas, vehicle wear-and-tear, and headache of that commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2023, 04:42 PM

126 posts, read 72,273 times
Well, I lost hope of ever finding a job in the Phoenix area. I'll be applying to CA now. It's fine, I'm sure many therapists live out of their cars at a truck stop or living in North Hollywood.

Old 02-22-2023, 07:59 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janoritish View Post
Well, I lost hope of ever finding a job in the Phoenix area. I'll be applying to CA now. It's fine, I'm sure many therapists live out of their cars at a truck stop or living in North Hollywood.
You could look at a number of areas in Northern California, I already mentioned Contra Costa County, there is also Solano County, Napa County, Sacramento, Placer Counties and others further North. I doubt if you would be living out of your car if you pursued a career in a county not in the immediate Bay Area where rentals are really expensive

Old 02-23-2023, 09:54 AM

126 posts, read 72,273 times
As long as I'm still close to a BART station. I really feel like the COL is the same as in Phoenix in those areas.

Old 02-24-2023, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janoritish View Post
As long as I'm still close to a BART station. I really feel like the COL is the same as in Phoenix in those areas.
Of the places 2sleepy listed, only Contra Costa County as BART. Antioch is probably your best bet for affordable rentals near BART. Per BART time tables, it's about 1 hr by BART to Oakland/San Francisco if the trains are running on schedule. COL calculators vary, but the Antioch area is somewhere around 15% - 40% more expensive to live.

Old 02-24-2023, 08:16 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
Of the places 2sleepy listed, only Contra Costa County as BART. Antioch is probably your best bet for affordable rentals near BART. Per BART time tables, it's about 1 hr by BART to Oakland/San Francisco if the trains are running on schedule. COL calculators vary, but the Antioch area is somewhere around 15% - 40% more expensive to live.
Antioch is more expensive than Berkeley/Oakland, or less?

Old 02-24-2023, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Sorry, I'm being unclear. More expensive than Phoenix.

Old 02-24-2023, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
But if she got a job in Solano County, and lived in Solano County (or any of the others that I mentioned) I'm not sure why not having access to BART would be a deal killer. Every one of those counties have bus service and Sac has light rail..but maybe I'm missing something about why no BART would be a deal killer?

Old 02-24-2023, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Median home price in Antioch is 567k, but personally I wouldn't choose to live there. Brentwood is a better and safer place to live, but it is more expensive with a median home price of 758k. Median home price for Oakland is 690k, Berkeley is 1.2 million. Martinez is 704k, Walnut Creek 734k But again, I'm assuming she will be renting so how relevant is the sales price of homes?

Old 02-24-2023, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Median home price in Antioch is 567k, but personally I wouldn't choose to live there. Brentwood is a better and safer place to live, but it is more expensive with a median home price of 758k. Median home price for Oakland is 690k, Berkeley is 1.2 million. Martinez is 704k, Walnut Creek 734k But again, I'm assuming she will be renting so how relevant is the sales price of homes?
If rents are too low relative to prices this tends to shrink the supply of rentals. Few people are going to buy a $500k house as a rental if low rents make it a poor investment. And if a rental is owned outright there's a strong incentive to sell and reinvest elsewhere if alternatives (stock market, REITs, different location, etc.) provide a much higher return. Conversely, high rents relative to prices encourage more rental stock. So while there may be small variations between cost of renting vs owning, these tend to more or less move together in the long term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose