Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 11:16 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Pay less attention to the skin color of your neighbors and focus on community culture. The Silicon Valley puts a high value on education - if you share that value then you and your family will fit right in.
I agree with this sentiment - there is lots of "diversity" in the Bay Area, and it might not focus on skin color, per se . . .yet perhaps living in DC you have been accustomed to a true cultural experience that you want to continue and that is also valid . . .

The biggest obstacle to enjoying life in the Bay Area will be the traffic, and if that doesn't bother you then you should enjoy a very privileged life at your price point.

Maybe you could join groups or clubs in Oakland or Berkeley that meet up on weekends.

Last edited by nobodysbusiness; 10-15-2019 at 12:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2019, 05:22 PM

22 posts, read 17,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Pay less attention to the skin color of your neighbors and focus on community culture. The Silicon Valley puts a high value on education - if you share that value then you and your family will fit right in.
Your response indicates that I was not clear enough for you to understand my point in my original post: I want my child to at least see others that look like her. We don’t expect or want a predominantly Black area. I don’t want my child to feel isolated as the only child with brown skin in her environment. If you’re not Black or some other minority, you won’t understand where I’m coming from. Have a nice day.

Old 10-15-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I agree with this sentiment - there is lots of "diversity" in the Bay Area, and it might not focus on skin color, per se . . .yet perhaps living in DC you have been accustomed to a true cultural experience that you want to continue and that is also valid . . .

The biggest obstacle to enjoying life in the Bay Area will be the traffic, and if that doesn't bother you then you should enjoy a very privileged life at your price point.

Maybe you could join groups or clubs in Oakland or Berkeley that meet up on weekends.
Yes, coming from DC, it will be a major culture shock. There’s a difference between diversity and isolation. Isolation is not what I want for my child and I’ll just have to make a sacrifice or two to alleviate that for her.

Old 10-15-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky1110 View Post
Your response indicates that I was not clear enough for you to understand my point in my original post: I want my child to at least see others that look like her. We don’t expect or want a predominantly Black area. I don’t want my child to feel isolated as the only child with brown skin in her environment. If you’re not Black or some other minority, you won’t understand where I’m coming from. Have a nice day.
I know you know that the Bay Area is diverse. Easy to check demographics for particulars.

No matter where your kid is raised, they will see people of color - more so in some cities than others, but I think you will find people of color everywhere.

Old 10-15-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Yes, coming from DC, it will be a major culture shock. There’s a difference between diversity and isolation. Isolation is not what I want for my child and I’ll just have to make a sacrifice or two to alleviate that for her.
If your child is social, s/he will most likely be fine. I understand a parent's worry about such things though.

Old 10-16-2019, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
If your child is social, s/he will most likely be fine. I understand a parent's worry about such things though.
Thank you.

Old 11-11-2019, 08:12 PM

5 posts, read 2,339 times
I love Google Earth. Take a "trip" on GE and go down into the neighborhoods of the cities you are interested in. You will be able to see it all from street view. I've been in South San Jose for 39 years and absolutely love it but will be selling and moving to be closer to my kids in SoCal. I agree with the other poster. Campbell would be a nice place. It is a smaller quaint little city. You will love it in Cali. Your kids will make friends of all races.

Old 11-17-2019, 02:24 PM

112 posts, read 130,388 times
Quote:
Thanks all. I must admit that almost everything I’m reading here is depressing. I have researched the demographics but figured locals on this board could give more accurate input based on how things really are with the traffic, etc. I’m going to have to make a sacrifice or two: stay close with no diversity vs move farther out for my child to see people that look like her.

I honestly think she will have kids that look like her in most of those places, but it won't be as many as she is used to. But I don't think it's a bad thing. I loved growing up in California, even though being biracial, I was usually one of a 3-5 in my classes. We are currently living in Southern Maryland (military) and though my kids go to more "diverse" schools and see kids that look like them, they still befriend who they befriend, which are kids that share the same hobbies and interests. My son's middle school is 25% black and he is friends with mostly white kids. Not a big deal to me at all - I actually appreciate the diversity of California in that it's several different races and not just black and white.

We will be moving back to SoCal (Ventura County) in the summer and I've looked at the diversity numbers again (we lived there a total of 9 years) and though it's not great, it's not terrible either. Where we are going the "better" schools tend to have a higher white population. I doubt I would send my kids to a mediocre high school just for some diversity - I want to give them the better opportunities to succeed. Not sure if this helps at all, but I am hopeful you will enjoy living in CA as it really has so much to offer! The best thing being NO SNOW!

Old 11-17-2019, 05:02 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
If finding a place where there are children who look like her is important contact the Urban League of the Greater San Francisco Bay area. ulgsfba@gmail.com. Their phone number is 202-230-3744.

Schools in Redwood Park and East Palo Alto are not the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose