Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2008, 03:31 PM

14 posts, read 26,272 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I am 26 year old male looking to expand my experience career and life wise. I received a job offer with lockheed martin in San Jose and decided to take the job. Im moving from Tucson, AZ. I have a tentative start date of June 16. I will be working at the location on Zanker rd, what area do you recommend I live at? Im looking to find a studio or 1 bedroom, in the ~1000 a month price range (if thats at all possible :S) I also want to be decently close to work as well. I dont want a long commute, and dont want to live in the ghetto.

Also, what do you guys recommend as far as making friends and meeting females around my age? I dont know anybody in the area. I will be going to a gym, i love working out, Im thinking that might be a good place to meet ppl. And hopefully I will have some younger ppl for coworkers. Any recommendations or help would be great, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 04:05 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
You could live downtown and take light rail up First Street. Zanker Road runs parallel to First, about a block over. Living there would also take care of the "what to do" question.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:00 PM

461 posts, read 1,449,333 times
Good luck! Be really careful where you move, you may want to consider living in a long term hotel for a month and looking at apartments. I found a place out here for $1000/month a few years ago online and when I got there it was totally disgusting and loud and horrible and it had a major mold problem, plus the heat didn't work and it took them 3 months to fix it... yikes! I pay double that and then some now, but I can breathe and keep warm. People aren't really very friendly out here, you may find it challenging making friends. I think the gym is a good idea plus, that's a big company, there will be lots of people there to get to know. I'm actually thinking about moving to AZ. I'm curious, are you just leaving because of the job? How do you like Tucson? I'm thinking Phoenix more than Tucson, but I love both cities, and I want to be warm!!!!

Old 04-24-2008, 07:10 PM

42 posts, read 272,811 times
As an earlier post indicates, I think downtown San Jose would probably be the best area for someone under 30 if you like urban lifestyle, resturants, the bar scene, museums, theaters, and being located right next to the 30,000 student campus at San Jose State University. The downtown is very clean and relatively safe in my opinion.

The following is a list most of apartments in downtown San Jose with their price range.

Twohy Lofts - EveryAptMapped - San Jose Apartments

The nicest looking apartments from the outside in my opinion are the following.

Twohy Lofts (Historic - Refurbished)
New Centry Commons (Historic - Refribished)
101 San Fernando (New - Mediterranean)

I believe that the Westwood properties is an old apartment which is not very well refurbished and that is probably why they are cheaper than the others. It is next to several large old Victorian houses that have been converted to small apartments or rooms (probably mostly for SJSU students that don't want to stay in the dorm).

Many of the above listed apartments in the link can be seen in the following links.

Downtown San Jose (broken link)
Julian Bassett Neighborhood (broken link)
Diridon Station (broken link)

Last edited by MikeSJ; 04-24-2008 at 07:34 PM..

Old 04-25-2008, 08:55 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,841,325 times
I lived at 1st/Julian (owned a condo) for several years, moving in 2003. I really liked the downtown area and the revitalization that has occurred there. Not sure what you'll find for $1,000, though. I would definitely recommend a househunting trip as opposed to choosing something solely online.

The weather is great, and as a native of Arizona I especially appreciated being away from the blistering heat of Phoenix and Tucson in the summer.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:19 PM

3 posts, read 9,228 times
If I may piggyback off the initial question... I too am in a similar situation as the original poster. Will be moving out there in the next month or so working in south San Jose.

I've been to the market street area, and it seems real good and probably where I'll move to.

However, I've been also reading about Sunnyvale, Palo Alto, etc. Does everyone firmly believe that downtown San Jose is the best place for a single guy? As opposed to some of the neighboring communities?

Old 04-29-2008, 06:25 PM

Quick reply to AZ... I am planning to rent a room since I am travelling light. You can get a nice room in a nice house for about $800 total (utilities and everything). Craigslist has a bunch of adds where people are looking.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:15 PM

42 posts, read 272,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by za_dude99 View Post
If I may piggyback off the initial question... I too am in a similar situation as the original poster. Will be moving out there in the next month or so working in south San Jose.

I've been to the market street area, and it seems real good and probably where I'll move to.

However, I've been also reading about Sunnyvale, Palo Alto, etc. Does everyone firmly believe that downtown San Jose is the best place for a single guy? As opposed to some of the neighboring communities?
Downtown Palo Alto and Los Gatos are nice and a possibility for the under 30s but both are very expensive. Downtown Mountain View is also a possibility but Sunnyvale and Santa Clara are very suburban without much nightlife for a single person.

If you like large street crowds as well as packed bars/clubs on weekend nights, then downtown San Jose is hard to beat in the area.

However, if you like a quiet apartment in downtown San Jose on weekends, get an inside apartment, an apartment away from the main streets, or an apartment that is not near the main bar/club scene such as the Julian/Basset neighborhood.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:50 PM

Thanks for the reply. What you are suggesting resonates well with what I am kinda thinking. In looking, it appears there are a number of great deals in the SJ University area, since I am looking to rent a room.

Cheers and thanks for the info!

Old 05-01-2008, 02:39 PM

7 posts, read 58,392 times
I would live in campbell and take the light rail to work. Cambell is small, quaint, has a walking trail, fun, small downtown young crowd, farmers market, bike trails, hiking close by in los gatos, bars, community center, pubs and its a safe area. Best way to meet people is to join groups, or even on craigslist. Gyms are great for guys in the free weight area. But you can find hiking groups on line and other areas of interest. Of course the best way to meet up with people is hooking up with some fun people at your new job. Have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose