Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2008, 04:23 PM

12 posts, read 55,881 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a job that will take me from east to west coast (NYC to Santa Clara). Lots of changes! Anyway, I'll be looking for a place to live in Santa Clara and the surrounding areas.

My big concern is:

Can I survive in the area without a car? How walkable is everything?

What are my options for a 1br rental close by so that I don't need a car.

Thanks for your help in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 05:10 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,720,171 times
You will need a car. Santa Clara and area is mostly suburban sprawl and not walkable. Public transit is so-so. It's mostly buses, but San Jose has a light rail system that goes out towards Santa Clara and other places outside San Jose. There is a commuter train (Caltrain) that runs between San Jose and San Francisco. You will need a car.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:22 PM
Ohs

236 posts, read 712,531 times
Yikes, you need a car anywhere is California. Most transit systems are not dependable and end up costing more than you would think.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:24 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,841,759 times
You can live without a car in San Francisco. Definitely not in Santa Clara.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohs View Post
Yikes, you need a car anywhere is California. Most transit systems are not dependable and end up costing more than you would think.
Oh man! I have a feeling I'm going to miss NYC in that respect. I really HATE having/owning a car. Is car insurance expensive?

I'm having second thoughts about the job! I guess biking around town might be out of the question also. I mapped Santa Clara in walkscore.com and it plotted only a 54 out of 100. Pretty low huh?

Anyway, how bad is traffic? What's your opinion on that? I'm just trying to gauge how close/far I can live away from Santa Clara. I definitely would not want to drive for more than 20 minutes to work.

Thanks again.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:40 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,941,290 times
Default I walk to work and I still have a car

I live and work in Downtown San Jose---a block away from my job--and I STILL have a car. It's just too hard to get to the grocery store, etc without one. Plus, going out on weekends to friends' houses etc would just be too difficult and time consuming on mass transit.

Santa Clara is next door to San Jose. The whole Silicon Valley area is mostly suburban sprawl. While it might be possible to live here without a car, the vast majority of people would not want to do it, myself included.

Commute times are not good...although if you are coming from New York, they might not seem that bad.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:06 AM

1 posts, read 4,941 times
Hi, what's your company name or at least the location of your job? . Yes you can survive in santa clara with out a car. We do have lot of public transportations like VTA, light rail. The rents are bit high.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_abs View Post
Hi, what's your company name or at least the location of your job? . Yes you can survive in santa clara with out a car. We do have lot of public transportations like VTA, light rail. The rents are bit high.
The closest light rail station is Old Ironsides Station. Do you know if I should be able to find 1Br apartments following along the light rail station east or west of that? What's more convenient west towards Mountain View or east towards San Jose. I'm planning on visiting the area next weekend. But I'd like to get opinions before I head into town.

Thanks again for your help! I'm generously giving rep points wherever I can! In addition, you have my most sincere gratitude

Thank you thank you thank you all.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:20 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,145,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirlo View Post
Oh man! I have a feeling I'm going to miss NYC in that respect. I really HATE having/owning a car. Is car insurance expensive?
Less than half what you would pay in NYC. That's one area where the Silicon Valley has got it knocked. And cars last longer because of the mild climate.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:38 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,841,759 times
The OP did use the word "survive," and so I suppose you're technically correct. But having lived in the area for ten years, I certainly wouldn't recommend it from a quality-of-life point of view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_abs View Post
Yes you can survive in santa clara with out a car. We do have lot of public transportations like VTA, light rail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose