Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 02:20 PM

95 posts, read 310,874 times

Advertisements

Santana Row is nice but very expensive due to it being a fairly new building and that it is a very expensive shopping center beneath the apartments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 02:55 PM

23 posts, read 92,800 times
Thank you for all the helpful advice. I looked into some apartments in Campbell but most only seem to take cats, I called about 5 places that looked modern and updated but they would not except dogs. But thanks for your input, I'll keep on trying. Sounds like a great little area!

Old 06-17-2008, 12:00 AM

134 posts, read 525,805 times
Willow Glen feels most like Walnut Creek to me

Old 06-17-2008, 06:55 AM

Thanks! Any apartment complexes you can recommended?

Old 06-17-2008, 10:52 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,352,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezer41 View Post
Willow Glen feels most like Walnut Creek to me
What? Walnut Creek is largely new development. Willow Glen is more like Alameda.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:07 PM

218 posts, read 437,904 times
Jax - quick question. When you say New York, what do you mean? New York is quite a wide range, from Financial District, Greenwich Village, to Park East and West in Manhattan, and of course, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island.

What *exactly* are you looking for?

Hint: Walnut Creek just about typifies suburbia - restaurants are almost all large chains like Applebees. Massive parking lots surrounding one and two rise stores, etc.

Here is my scoop, after 20 years in the South Bay.

Mountain View - nice, quasi affluent town. Downtown is small but has many restaurants and a few shops. Expensive.

Sunnyvale - suburbia, but going downhill fast. I would AVOID it.

Campbell is kind of suburban, but does have a reasonable downtown. Location is good due to many freeways/expressways that cross it (in the Bay area, you WILL commute.)

Santa Clara - Rivermark is new, and self-contained. Has restaurants, a massive grocery store. Nearby is Mercado, which has a giant theatre and some other shops/restaurants. Rest of Santa Clara I would avoid. There are many more workers in Santa Clara than residents, so the city sort of rolls up the sidewalks at 6 PM.

Los Gatos is terrific - if you can afford it.

San Jose is a HUGE suburban city. If you stay out of the "wrong" parts, it is very, very safe. The sort of places I think you would want to look at, given your brief discussion here would include:

Willow Glen (older, self-contained section with restaurants, Willow Glen Coffee Roaster for the pretentious types, smallish shops.

Downtown, which has been cleaned up a great deal in the past 10-20 years. There are several new high-rise (for the Bay area) apartments there.

Hanchett Park/Alameda/"Rose Garden" which stretches along the Alameda from downtown to the Santa Clara border. Avalon at Cahill is here, as is the Avalon on Alameda (now 10 year old) on the corner of the Alameda and Julian St.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:35 PM

Thanks for all the awesome advice. Currently I live on Long Island, cute towns with shops and small restaurants and cafes short commute to the beach and a short commute to NYC. I will be making a trip out to the San Jose area this summer so I am collecting all my info now so when I get to CA I can check out all the recommended areas, I appreciate everyone's advice.

Last edited by Jax22; 06-17-2008 at 02:47 PM..

Old 06-22-2008, 09:37 AM

What is the Redwood City area like?

Old 06-22-2008, 09:44 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,352,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax22 View Post
What is the Redwood City area like?
It's much like most peninsula towns. I haven't visited them all enough to really distinguish between them, but RC is nice.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:20 AM

218 posts, read 437,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
It's much like most peninsula towns. I haven't visited them all enough to really distinguish between them, but RC is nice.

I dunno. Unless RC has been seriously upgraded, it has to rank near the bottom along the Peninsula. There are enclaves that are nice (e.g., northwest RC "high school acres" I think it's called). But a LOT of the city is to be avoided, especially east of El Camino Real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose