Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2008, 06:04 PM

2 posts, read 4,915 times

Advertisements

So, I am moving to SJ from the East Coast and anted to to know where the fun places are to meet some interesting people? I am young, college educated, pretty attractive if I do say so myself. But most of the threads I have seen say SJ is just not the place for young, fun loving people. Advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 06:59 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Well, I posted part of this in the other thread below which you asked the same Q in.

Take a look at Santa Cruz just down the 17 from SJ. I know there has always been a lot of athletic, attractive singles there. Although they tend to be more on the liberal side of things and many live on shoe string budgets while working and going to UCSC for their masters & Ph.Ds. A friend of mine did just that. He earned his Ph.D. in marine biology is now one of the top dolphin researchers living in Tahiti.

Some of the Santa Cruz folks do make the trip over the hill for techie jobs and better pay. But it is definately a different vibe and different lifestyle down there by the coast. It is a more down to earth, what you see is what you get kind of lifestyle. If you haven't visited Santa Cruz check it out.

Maybe there are some swanky hang outs in SJ for singles. But if so they are probably populated with nerdy computer geeks which you may or may not be interested in.

I would recommend joining a social group which shares common interests like hiking, photography, sailing, surfing, skiing, etc... This is usually always a better way to meet people in a more natural setting than the club scene. If you attend a church, syngagoue, or volunteer for certain causes you can also meet people in that way. Basically it is just a matter of getting out and socializing.

Of course some busy professionals use places like eHarmony. My brother-in-law met his wife online and they have been married for at least 10 years now. But it doesn't work for everyone. Personally I think some people just aren't ready for any kind of a quality give and take relationship. They would rather be playing video games, or staring in the mirror, or <fill in the blank>.

I am a software engineer and so I speak from some experience. LOL... Many of the smart single guys I work with have very 'odd' social habits/behaviors/dysfunctions. One had his Ph.d. from CalTech and he had several gfs. But he couldn't maintain a relationship because of his intense love for gaming. But he eventually matured 'a bit' and married another software engineer - kind of a scary thought/combo I know. But she was a nice girl and I think he was finally ready to release his grip on gaming, at least a little.LOL...

- Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 07-30-2008 at 07:36 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-30-2008, 10:42 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,011 times
Most of the affluent, <30yo financiers/tech guys who work in SV live in SF (and those techies who work really deep in belly of SV, like SJ, often have a wkday apt at Santana Row where there's edible daily grub, and get an SF place for wkends)....

SF to SV (on 280 fwy) is perhaps fastest commute in any major urban region in world....not many places where one can traverse some 40-60mis each-way so rapidly....and on such a scenic route....

Old 08-03-2008, 08:17 PM

233 posts, read 827,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Most of the affluent, <30yo financiers/tech guys who work in SV live in SF (and those techies who work really deep in belly of SV, like SJ, often have a wkday apt at Santana Row where there's edible daily grub, and get an SF place for wkends)....

SF to SV (on 280 fwy) is perhaps fastest commute in any major urban region in world....not many places where one can traverse some 40-60mis each-way so rapidly....and on such a scenic route....
I don't get this. Why not live in SV and come to SF and play for the weekend instead of commuting all that way on weekdays? They are most likely working really long hours anyway.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:06 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenOlenska View Post
I don't get this. Why not live in SV and come to SF and play for the weekend instead of commuting all that way on weekdays? They are most likely working really long hours anyway.
Because then you can't show off your address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
View detailed profiles of: