Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 04:54 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
IFruitdale ... has a reputation of being somewhat ghetto...in my opinion it doens't seem bad at all though.
The rep comes from the transition-housing people hanging around there (check the wheeling and dealing around McDonald's and 7-11). It's a few shady apartment buildings in an otherwise decent area, except for some crazy San Jose City College drivers racing through there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 05:44 AM

1 posts, read 9,806 times
MSTNGHU2 said: My grandparents have lived in Almaden Valley for over 40 years and nothing even remotely gang-related has ever touched their lives.

I was involved in an incident right off of Almaden and Redmond in July of 1992 where I was attacked by about 25 people and had a gun pulled on me and I ended up stabbing 2 people, right in the heart of Almaden Valley. So believe me just because nothing gang related hasn't touched your grandparents lives doesn't mean these thing don't happen right in their own front yard. But to be honest gangsters don't care about civilians, they only care about making money and rival gangsters so if your not getting in the way of the almighty dollar or bangin , you don't really have anything to worry about.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:27 AM

379 posts, read 785,897 times
I used to work right by King & Story Rd. (and took the bus system often in that area) and lived in the Evergreen district on the East side of San Jose for a year, and I never felt unsafe in that area during the day. I preferred not to be out in the areas at night (not well lit and easier to mistake you for someone else), but I felt fine if walking with another person and completely safe within my complex that was gated and had 24/7 security. Like others have said, if you don't appear to look like a gang member, generally the gangs will not bother you. Their fights usually involve rival gangs rather than random passer-bys. Don't wear red or blue in these areas, and exercise general urban street smarts. You'll be fine.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:37 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Does SJ have any Asian gangs or is it mostly Latino? I know SJ has a fairly large Asian (esp. Filipino, Laos, & Vietnamese) population from when I was there last Summer.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:08 AM

1,310 posts, read 4,139,491 times
Asian gangs picks up steam in the mid-90s, but have sort of petered out.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:34 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,349,337 times
I lived in East San Jose, right around Story and King, and things did get rather shady, (in fact the house I grew up in was quite shady at times) but it wasn't like I couldn't walk down the street. I doubt it is crazy like some of the more notorious areas of the U.S.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:41 PM

1 posts, read 9,332 times
Default **** you *** guzzling dick graving *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohs View Post
I don't know about gangs but the East Side SUCKS it's all run down and gross, all the areas mentioned gangs or no gangs need to be torn down and restarted.
The east side iz what itz all about boy. If you dont like it then go bust a nut.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:56 AM

1 posts, read 9,140 times
These days I think people are just out in groups looking for trouble. That is why
So many innocent people are getting hurt. Like the little boys out
Trick o treating. Kids trying to be leaders in front of followers,
Doing stupid acts of violence. We should discourage anyone we know
From being followers. Go to school. Get in sports. Get a job.
Live productive lives.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:27 PM

705 posts, read 1,661,961 times
East side san jo never felt "unsafe" to me. Plus as a bonus you have great viet food

Old 06-09-2010, 03:19 AM

1 posts, read 9,079 times
San Jose is a pretty safe city, most gangs tend to keep to themselves and usually stay in their own neighborhood if/when left alone. They also seem to be mostly into drug trafficking, rather than running around looking for trouble and committing random acts of violence. Although there are some people who, while it's dark, like to go to bars and nightclubs in the downtown area just to pick a fight, but there's a high amount of police presence in the area and it's still pretty safe. Other than the occasional person looking for trouble, San Jose is a pretty calm city. Most of the 'gangs' regardless of their affiliation are mainly just out looking to make some money like everyone else, the only difference is it's not quite all that legal.

I was born and raised in East Side San Jose, aside from a couple of shootings or stabbings that have happened in the area (In which case, no one was ever really around to witness them) every couple of years, and one random fire that burned down a house across the street (killing one man inside), there's really nothing that dangerous and/or unsafe about San Jose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose