Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 12:35 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,184,854 times

Advertisements

Californians seem to think they'll live or die by weather. If the idea of snow or rain keeps 20 million Californians from moving to CO or any of the other western states, all the better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 01:45 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,352,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Californians seem to think they'll live or die by weather. If the idea of snow or rain keeps 20 million Californians from moving to CO or any of the other western states, all the better!
We just like it on our terms. You visit snow. It does not visit you.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:16 PM

Oh, sure, but being a Californian myself, I know all too well that whenever the coversation of moving come sup, the first thing you here is - 'too cold', or 'too much rain' - as if that's all-important, above schools or housing or jobs or anything else. Varying weather and seasons can be fun, but it's not for everyone. But like I said, if our prevailing fear of any weather besides SUN keeps the huge masses confined within the valleys of CA, all the better for the rest of us!!

Old 08-28-2008, 09:36 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,545,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Oh, sure, but being a Californian myself, I know all too well that whenever the coversation of moving come sup, the first thing you here is - 'too cold', or 'too much rain' - as if that's all-important, above schools or housing or jobs or anything else. Varying weather and seasons can be fun, but it's not for everyone. But like I said, if our prevailing fear of any weather besides SUN keeps the huge masses confined within the valleys of CA, all the better for the rest of us!!
I find everyones' fear of snow funny. Every ex-Californian we've met out here in Denver absolutely loves the weather out here. I've only run into one person who moved back because of the weather, and it was a younger guy who moved out here in the middle of our big storm 2 years back (it was said to be the biggest storm in 20 years out here, yet still didn't drop as much snow as places like Tahoe or the Midwest). Not to mention I think he moved out for a relationship that ended up failing. Overall, most ex-Californians I've talked to love having 4 true seasons.

We're seriously considering moving back to CA next year to be closer to family. My wife is afraid she'll miss waking up to the snow - especially during the holidays. I tend to feel the same. The holidays without a little bit of snow on the ground just doesn't have nearly the same affect. Ironically, one of the things I'd miss most moving back to CA (outside of the friendly people) would actually be the weather here in Denver.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:53 AM

50 posts, read 109,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
We just like it on our terms. You visit snow. It does not visit you.

Haha! That's the way it 'should' be!

Old 09-11-2008, 10:36 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
The snow can be fun however. Here are some shots of our children enjoying the snow.

Snowboarding down our street:

Sledding in our backyard:
The picture of your kids is absolutely inspirational :-)

Old 09-14-2008, 10:50 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,703,091 times
Thanks mysticaltyger

They really did have fun living in the snow. And now that we are back in CA (Monterey) they are having a blast at the beach out here. We were actually really psyched to get back to the coast after living in the middle of the country. Here are a couple of recent shots:

I can see both sides of living in the snow vs. visiting the snow after living in both places ourselves. There are pros/cons to both of these which have already been discussed. For us we'll be very happy to 'visit' the snow, then return home at play and the beach. And Winter in Yosemite is pretty hard to beat for magical Winter Wonderland beauty. And it is really great that it is only a few hours away.

I think living in CO was a great experience for us and don't regret it at all. It also helped us to appreciate the best parts of CA more. Like they say sometimes "You don't know what you've got 'till its gone."

But honestly I don't think there is one right answer for everyone. Part of the fun of life is exploring new places. And CO was definately a good adventure for us. But the West Coast will always be our home. I need to have access to the sea.

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 09-14-2008 at 11:13 PM..

Old 09-15-2008, 02:22 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,545,137 times
MtnSurfer,

We're starting to share that sentiment more and more. Not that we don't love it out here in the Denver area, and believe me, we'll miss the area a LOT. But the feeling of being this far away from the few family members and really close friends we have out there is wearing on us a little. And I think it has become a lot more apparent to us now that are first child is getting older. We really do want her to be closer to those family members and grow up seeing them more. And since they won't move out here, we will likely move back "home".

We're really going to enjoy this winter and appreciate the beauty and fun that it brings. We may not live in a snowy climate again for quite a while. And I'll never regret the experience - it's been great. And at the same time, it's also helped us appreciate what we took for granted living in California.

I think you have to take the risk of not liking something to find out if it's right for you and your family. 99% of the ex-Californians that we've met out here absolutely love it and swear they won't ever move back. If it weren't for family, we probably wouldn't either. But it's always worth the experience, no matter what.

Cute kids by the way!

Old 09-16-2008, 03:08 PM

Ludachis - your posts always thoughtful and helpful. Thanks for that. I'm probably right where you were at when you first left CA. Mtn Surfer - Monterey is awesome (especially if you can afford to live there). I lived there as a kid and loved it. I'm sure yours will too. Colorado is fantastic, but the lack of coastal access will always leave a tiny, burning hole in my heart. Only time will tell if that hole ever grows too large to bear.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:53 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,703,091 times
Yeah Treedonkey,

There is alot to see and do around Monterey for families. I'm really enjoying being able to get home from work and take the kids down to the beach for sunset.

The Palmer Lake area is nice. You are close to the mtns. and the Academy there.

A friend of mine lived in CO for 20 years until his kids graduated HS. Then he moved back to CA.

We are still dealing with RE sticker shock. LOL... But of course we knew that going in. And who can really afford it? I mean compared to most other states. We just sold our nice, newer, larger home in Colorado Springs for $246K. So we will be renting a house for a while and watching the market to see what it does. Fortunately Monterey County RE is down 48%. But it is still high.

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 09-16-2008 at 09:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose