Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 12:54 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,986,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizabe View Post
I can't wait to raise my kid in San Francisco. I love the diversity and culture and feel lucky to live here. I look forward to having my child exposed to many different kinds of people and activities.
There are several recent threads on this topic on the San Francisco boards. I raised two of my kids in the City and it's NOT child friendly overall. I think that the vibe is anti-child. It wasn't always like this, but the City has become a mecca for the anti-family,anti-aging, anti-marriage, anti-child movement. It's great place if you are young, single, hip, and have money to burn..and your dog is your family. Or, both parents work, make loads of money and you just hire a nanny to do all the hard stuff.

You can find diversity everywhere in the Bay Area..it's not limited to San Francisco. I visit friends/family very often with my kids (in fact I was just in the City yesterday) and the looks you get when you even step foot into a restaurant with children (cheap Thai place at 4:30, not 8pm). Hopefully your experiences will be better though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 05:00 PM

132 posts, read 627,835 times
Unless I could afford a mansion in Pacific Heights, I wouldn't do it. Like others have said, bad schools, grimy, not kid friendly, blah, blah, blah.

I would raise my kids in a suburb with more space and you could go into the city if you want. I go to Santa Clara Univ. and a lot of my friends are from Los Altos Hills/Saratoga/Los Gatos/Hillsborough & Marin....all very expensive, but very nice & family oriented places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose