Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 04:26 PM

209 posts, read 257,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Millennium View Post
On a very small scale. Downtown campbell/LG on a friday night, bought as good as it gets and the bars usually aren't crowded. No line, walk straight up to the bar. Real big cities with good nightlife have some places that *gasp* have lines and are more crowded.

You ought to try Morgan Hill for small scale partying, although the hotel/motels are about 2 miles from the Night Life.
Also Walnut Creek has more punk rock and metal, but you can find a punk rock/metal show on San Carlos Av (in San Jose) and a REAL guitar store on Bascom and Camden.

Also the Uvas Rd/Watsonville Rd has a lot of Cyclists (both powered and foot) going various places, and there's also the Anderson Dam for power boaters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 06:37 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBright View Post
I might be a conformist from the east
Crush conformity.

Thank you to places like Santa Cruz for opposing such.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:12 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,555,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Millennium View Post
On a very small scale. Downtown campbell/LG on a friday night, bought as good as it gets and the bars usually aren't crowded. No line, walk straight up to the bar. Real big cities with good nightlife have some places that *gasp* have lines and are more crowded.
Being stuck in lines for a long time, and trying to shout to get the bartenders attention is not what I would consider a good nightlife. I like that places like Single Barrel limit the number of people, and if I get there at 6 or so there is no line, especially on Sunday. I like that good options in San Jose are not overly crowded and don't cost an arm an a leg like San Francisco.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:44 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,072,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Crush conformity.

Thank you to places like Santa Cruz for opposing such.
Ohhhh, the street performers of Pacific Avenue...

...watch out, you never know when they'll attack!

Old 11-21-2013, 05:05 PM

165 posts, read 277,042 times
Sprawling suburban city with no vibrant downtown cores/urban core to speak of with smaller cities as the place to go for downtown experience and being the hubs of the region

Old 11-21-2013, 06:49 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,861,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sour cream View Post
Sprawling suburban city with no vibrant downtown cores/urban core to speak of with smaller cities as the place to go for downtown experience and being the hubs of the region
Awesome analysis! Here's a cookie Next time, please use periods, commas, and semicolons.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:39 PM

274 posts, read 470,501 times
I would love to use proper grammar, thanks. San Jose is a suburban city with no vibrant downtown to speak of. People go to nearby local towns/neighborhoods for shopping, nightlife, entertainment and other fun stuff like Willow Glen, Campbell, Santana Row and Los Gatos; however, a lot of its residences go to San Francisco for big city entertainment and shopping. San Jose is just a sprawling city with no real center. The population is 982,000, according to U.S. Census. There are more things to do in the nearby cities than San Jose, itself. That's what San Jose like. You guys should feel free to give your comments or give criticism whether this is accurate.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:29 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,072,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue bird View Post
I would love to use proper grammar, thanks. San Jose is a suburban city with no vibrant downtown to speak of. People go to nearby local towns/neighborhoods for shopping, nightlife, entertainment and other fun stuff like Willow Glen, Campbell, Santana Row and Los Gatos; however, a lot of its residences go to San Francisco for big city entertainment and shopping. San Jose is just a sprawling city with no real center. The population is 982,000, according to U.S. Census. There are more things to do in the nearby cities than San Jose, itself. That's what San Jose like. You guys should feel free to give your comments or give criticism whether this is accurate.
What is vibrant, exactly? Downtown San Jose has museums, theaters, the opera, symphany, San Pedro Square, SAP center, new residential towers going up... It's a nice place, and I actually rather like the more sedate atmosphere.

I am also confused - Santana Row and Willow Glen are San Jose, so how exactly do you compare San Jose to San Jose?

Old 11-22-2013, 09:43 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,352,002 times
See, adding those points about neighboring cities sounds like he's trying to convince himself of this whole assessment. People want to peg SJ as the epitome of their anti-suburban angst which they can't express to mom and dad, but rarely do they venture beyond slapping us with broad and overarching complaints about suburban development in general, inevitably leading to half-assed comparisons like Anaheim, Mississauga, New Jersey, Bellevue, etc.

You'd have to be looking with your head up your butt to not see DTSJ as the historical, cultural and entertainment hub of the valley. Then again, we know this perception varies greatly across demographics, so maybe our lilywhite friends above just need to overcome their trepidation toward places that don't fit the Los Gatos/Campbell/Willow Glen/Santana Row mould.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:23 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
What is vibrant, exactly? Downtown San Jose has museums, theaters, the opera, symphany, San Pedro Square, SAP center, new residential towers going up... It's a nice place, and I actually rather like the more sedate atmosphere.

I am also confused - Santana Row and Willow Glen are San Jose, so how exactly do you compare San Jose to San Jose?
That confused me too. Clearly the poster has no clue what he/she is talking about. Santana Row (which is in San Jose) and Willow Glen (which is also in San Jose) are somehow "fun" but San Jose is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose