Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2009, 05:51 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,413,475 times

Advertisements

I've only been to the bay area once and that was 3 years ago, and we stayed in Central Marin County and ventured up into Sonoma county. so I've seen the north bay area and loooved it! Now I'm looking to go back to school in the area (first the JC then possibly sonoma state U). I plan to go on craigslist.com or roommates.com to find people my age to live with. Currently though, I'm debating between Sonoma county or San Jose.

Here's where my dilemma comes in: I am a white 23 year old single female and I grew up in Tucson Arizona, which is a slow snowbird/military/college town. I like the quietness of it here and the somewhat outdoorsy vibe and the people here are pretty diverse, but I feel that its time to leave.

With that said, I want to live in a quiet place, but also a place that has stuff to do in the areas, where there are people my age who are nice/friendly and have similar interests. Not too concerned about dating at the moment since I want to focus on myself right now, but living in a place where dating (once I want to get out there again) isn't too impossible as well would be nice. I'm not a major outdoors person, but I do love being outside and being active and walking/hiking/recreation here and there without having to deal with the hustle and bustle of the city.

I lived in Los Angeles for a year and moved back last summer. I hated LA, too busy, too urban, super rude and untrustworthy people, and just very overwhelming for a 21 year old girl from Arizona, lol. clearly "the city" is not for me!

So! from reading on the san jose forums and then reading the posts on here about sonoma, I'm getting mixed feelings about both places. Sonoma county sounds like a comfortable, more affordable place to live and close enough to S.F. if I want more excitement. I'm just worried about being the only single female there and not being able to meet that many people my age since it does seem to be an "older" area. I've been looking into the areas between Santa Rosa and Petaluma with a possibility of San Rafael if I found anything affordable enough. Also, a lot of the posts on these forums about north bay have people saying how it is not a good place for a young, single person to move to since they say there isn't much to do and everyone is married. When I visited, I saw a lot of young people in Marin, but also lots of families and also noticed that everyone was happily married (something unheard of in Tucson, lol), but like I said, I was only there once, so I don't know how accurate my judgement was.

Now, San Jose is a place I have never been to but from what I hear, there's a lot of people my age, some nightlife, shopping, outdoors, close to S.F. and so on. Sounds great, except, I just have been reading on here that the people aren't so nice and that lots of people don't speak english (I'm from Tucson..half this town speaks only spanish, tired of it!). Although I get along with everyone, I am very shy at first in new environments and around new people so that really worries me. I am just worried that san jose could wind up being a place I dislike the way I disliked L.A...which the people of L.A was the big reason why I left. If that ends up happening, I could wind up moving to north bay afterall.

Here's where you all come in: based on what I just stated, where is a better place for me to go? is Sonoma really that Slownoma?? hahaha and are the people of san jose really that awful? How would I meet people in either of these areas? Also would it be hard to find a part time job to work while I'm in school in either of these areas? most of my experience is in retail/waitressing but I really would like a waitressing position somewhere.

Sorry that was long. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 09:44 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,729,936 times
I'm in Santa Cruz county (Santa Cruz, Capitola, Aptos, Soquel and Watsonville) which is over the hill (HW17) from San Jose.
I know you didn't mention it but it may suit you.
It's a young town .... UCSC is here as well as Cabrillo college.
There is a lot of wonderful nature, hiking, beach, etc. and there are many quiet and beautiful places to live as well as many good neighborhoods throughout the county that are closer to shopping, nightlife, etc.
Everywhere in the county is close and easily accessible.
UCSC is here as well as Cabrillo College.
It is expensive here but if you're open to room-ate situations you'll be fine.
The places in Sonoma county that you would want live are also expensive ... it may just be a bit more pricey here re: rent but not necessarily.
San Francisco is less than 2 hours to the north and Monterey/Carmel less than an hour to the south.
I do not like San Jose.
It's hot, hot, hot in the summer and the air quality is awful.
I don't know about the nightlife, social scene, etc. but i bet you'd have more fun over on this side of the hill.
And when you are ready to start dating again, there are good men here ... friendly, open, non-aggressive, progressive, (i'm speaking generally of course).
It's a diverse, liberal, tolerant and fairly laid back place for its size.
The towns in the county easily blend into each other.
The bus system is excellent.
The weather is wonderful. (rain in the winter but long stretches of sunny and relatively warm days in between the rains).
It's a beautiful place to be.
The traffic during rush hour on HW1 is a drag but once you get to know the county you can easily avoid it.
I do not recommend the drive to and from San Jose however if that would be something you need to do on a daily basis.
Going to San Jose from here in the a.m. and back in the p.m. is to be avoided.
So, again, i know you didn't mention it but i thought i'd bring it up anyway.
Good luck in your search.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:59 PM

180 posts, read 694,546 times
Well, I have lived in LA, Petaluma, and now San Jose..so I am probably fairly qualified to speak to this subject.

San Jose is definitely more like LA/OC than Sonoma County. It's not identical, and I think that the people are nicer here than in SoCal, but its more similar in regard to traffic, busy-ness, the cities all 'blending' into one another, etc than Sonoma County.

I actually think that Petaluma would be a great place for you, at least your first couple years. Santa Rosa JC (which has a Petaluma Campus) is one of the most well regarded JC's in the country. I attended SRJC and it was at least twice as challenging as my upper division work at Cal Poly, SLO. For the most part, the teacher's at SRJC are top notch and are truly interested in career development.

From there, you can transfer to just about any state school and be fine.

My wife's parents still live in Petaluma, and everytime we go back there, there are a ton of young single people out downtown at the bars. SF is only 45 min away. There is actually a decent bar scene in Cotati (which is where a lot of the Sonoma St. kids party).

As far as San Jose goes...it's got a reputation of being more friendly for single females than single males...assuming you are straight (they don't call it 'Man-Jose' for nothing).

I would stay away from Santa Rosa and Sonoma. Santa Rosa is a bit more commuter based and transient and Sonoma is all families and it takes 30 minutes to get anywhere out of that town.

Best of luck to you!

Old 06-02-2009, 01:39 PM

Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewSoss View Post
As far as San Jose goes...it's got a reputation of being more friendly for single females than single males...assuming you are straight (they don't call it 'Man-Jose' for nothing).
Best of luck to you!
haha, I bet! however, I have a hard time dating guys in a live to work society. I could be way wrong and maybe the men of San Jose have a little more going on seperately from their work than men in Los Angeles do. I got lots of attention from males in LA. but no dates because I didn't like their attitude and there was never a connection for me. all they talked about was work, boooring. I love So cal to visit but to live, is a different story..it never felt home like.

I think I'm going to end up moving to Sonoma county and stick with rohnert park/petaluma area. once I'm done with school, I guess I can see where life leads me. Tucson is a very work to live society and it seems like so is Sonoma/Marin so it wouldn't be as much of a shock for me. the only difference it looks like, is that Tucson has more people, not a lot more, but still more so that might be a bit weird for me at first.

Another question: Where do people go to warm enough beaches from Sonoma county? do they head down to Santa Cruz? Also for good shopping (I gotta do that every now and then)..do people head to south Marin or S.F. for that? I know in Tucson we have ok shopping but as a girl, I get tired of seeing everything I own on another girl here, lol so pheonix was always a better option for that. Also, is Sonoma very rural or is it a mix of urban/suburban and rural? And my final question, how different is the weather there compared to So cal? I remember it was always colder at night, and the winters were cold and rainy but tolerable.

Thanks for all the advice! keep it coming!

Old 06-02-2009, 05:10 PM

180 posts, read 694,546 times
I would say that Sonoma County will have more of a work to live mentality of the two.

Beaches?
This is one thing that L.A. has on us. Even the best beaches here are nothing compared to the average beaches in LA/OC/SD. I guess Santa Cruz, but I wouldn't want to drive from Petaluma to Santa Cruz only to have to wear a hoodie all day because it's freezing in July. Just not the same.

Shopping? I guess San Jose would be better for that with more malls and high end places like Santana Row, etc...Marin has some higher end places and of course SF has everything. Take it with a grain of sale though...I'm a Macy's guy so I can shop anywhere.

Sonoma is a nice mix of rural and suburban.

Weather is about 10 degrees more extreme on either end of the thermometer. If it's 80 in LA in June, it's probably 90 in Petaluma. If it's 60 in LA in November, it's 50 in Petaluma.

You will have 2-3 weeks in the summer where it's 100+ in Petaluma, and a month of time in the winter where you will have frost on your windshield when you wake up in the morning and maybe one very lite snowfall every 4 or 5 years.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:04 AM

its that cold in July in Santa Cruz?? wow..so what do people do for beaches in nor cal or at all? but ya, LA did have the beaches on nor cal..big time!

where in Marin is the better shopping? I know you're a guy and all, but do you happen to know? lol. I remember there was sausalito but it was way too expensive and Novato had no shopping whatsoever! If I could be a jeans and t shirt and occasional nice blouse person, Macy's would be my store too! haha, not that its not, but its not not my only store. I wouldn't mind driving down to San Jose for some shopping on the rare times I felt like doing that, I do it here in AZ and drive to Pheonix, which it sounds like it would be the same drive. On the driving note, are the freeways going through S.F. super steep and hilly? the streets of "the city" scare me driving wise cuz of how the streets are almost at a 90 degree angle it seems (goodness! how do people drive in that?)! would I have to drive around through east bay if I want to avoid the super steep streets/freeways?

the weather sounds very much like southern AZ weather! glad it won't be too shocking of an adjustment!

Old 06-03-2009, 12:13 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,850,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
its that cold in July in Santa Cruz?? wow..so what do people do for beaches in nor cal or at all? but ya, LA did have the beaches on nor cal..big time!
> From LA, and yes they have the beaches. Just about everything else down there is overkill.

Santa Cruz isn't really that cold, so if beach and shopping are important, I would live in or around SC and hop over to San Jose for shopping (Santana Row/Valley Fair), or down to Gilroy to the outlets.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:59 AM

eh, I do not need the beaches and shopping all the time. I was just wondering where to go in the event I want to do those things. the drive is not an issue if its every now and then. I am not one to go to the beach very much anyways, as much as I love it. I just like to make a day out of those things and I rarely have a full day where I can just make a whole day out of the beach. I went to the beach maybe once in the entire year I lived in L.A., but in L.A. it was also cuz whenever I had the time to go to the beach, it seems that all of california decided to go to Malibu or santa monica..so parking was not gonna happen unless I lived there! yet another reason I left that place! lol..it took forever to get anywhere and then it took even longer to park your car!

but anyways..not discussing L.A. here, lol, just trying to make a point I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose