Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 02:21 AM

52 posts, read 112,154 times

Advertisements

Yes one of the rentals I found was someone who was moving to San Francisco because they didn't want the commute to SF anymore... they might be willing to sell their rental... Everyone seems to agree to be close to work if at all possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 10:19 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,993 times
To the OP, I think if you're really interested in an older more quaint neighborhood to live in, you may want to check out Naglee Park in San Jose. The neighborhood is directly southeast of downtown SJ/SJSU and has tons of character. It's an established neighborhood that's somewhat recently been gentrified and is very liveable and quite pretty. South 16th St. along William St. Park is probably one of the most attractive streets in the city. There are some shady areas that border the neighborhood, but I would consider Naglee Park to be a safe area. I'm not sure how the rental market is currently, but I'd think that you could find something reasonable in Naglee Park. Up until somewhat recently, it wasn't the most desireable part of town and rents tend to be cheaper than many other parts of SJ.

Also in San Jose, you may want to consider the Rose Garden area. The streets directly around the SJ Municipal Rose Garden are going to be the most expensive. The further you go away from the actual Rose Garden, you can find reasonably priced, well-kept older homes. The Rose Garden is more upscale than Naglee Park and is in a more convenient location for transportation, shopping, etc. Naglee Park is probably a little more rough around the edges in some ways, but is a pretty cool little neighborhood that tends to be overlooked.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:12 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
To the OP, I think if you're really interested in an older more quaint neighborhood to live in, you may want to check out Naglee Park in San Jose. The neighborhood is directly southeast of downtown SJ/SJSU and has tons of character. It's an established neighborhood that's somewhat recently been gentrified and is very liveable and quite pretty. South 16th St. along William St. Park is probably one of the most attractive streets in the city. There are some shady areas that border the neighborhood, but I would consider Naglee Park to be a safe area. I'm not sure how the rental market is currently, but I'd think that you could find something reasonable in Naglee Park. Up until somewhat recently, it wasn't the most desireable part of town and rents tend to be cheaper than many other parts of SJ.

Also in San Jose, you may want to consider the Rose Garden area. The streets directly around the SJ Municipal Rose Garden are going to be the most expensive. The further you go away from the actual Rose Garden, you can find reasonably priced, well-kept older homes. The Rose Garden is more upscale than Naglee Park and is in a more convenient location for transportation, shopping, etc. Naglee Park is probably a little more rough around the edges in some ways, but is a pretty cool little neighborhood that tends to be overlooked.
Naglee Park is kind of funny. It's right next to SJSU, so the few rentals on the outskirts of the area usually cater to students. But once you get deeper into the neighborhood, it's really sleepy, tranquil and beautiful. Real estate price tags tend to be eye-poppingly huge on account of the very high quality of housing stock and proximity to downtown. Just try to find a house on E San Carlos St in Naglee Park for less than $1 million.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:53 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,768,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Naglee Park is kind of funny. It's right next to SJSU, so the few rentals on the outskirts of the area usually cater to students. But once you get deeper into the neighborhood, it's really sleepy, tranquil and beautiful. Real estate price tags tend to be eye-poppingly huge on account of the very high quality of housing stock and proximity to downtown. Just try to find a house on E San Carlos St in Naglee Park for less than $1 million.
Here are two that aren't on San Carlos Street but are only a couple of blocks away.

$719k 501 S 14TH St, San Jose, CA 95112 | MLS# 81005360

$899k 589 S 15TH St, San Jose, CA 95112 | MLS# 80950899

It's a nice neighborhood but still overpriced in my opinion: notice that the first one sold in 1999 for $220k, and the second guy is actually trying to get slightly MORE than he paid in 2005. I doubt that these nosebleed prices can be sustained now that the housing bubble is deflating.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:46 PM

YIKESarama... those prices are a bit steep... we may also be relocating to Portland Ore for the same company...what can I say my life is in flux right now... I just don't want to have a reverse mortgage when I'm 70. That's only 20 yrs.... sheesh... Ya'll have all been so helpful thank you so much.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:50 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabellavampirella View Post
You are correct. I have seen some reasonable places to rent in Sunnyvale. We would like to be close to Cupertino or Palo Alto as far as a commute. We are crossing our fingers about some of the rentals we could rent then offer to buy once our home here sells. We are only selling this for 200k, but that is the market here. 4145 Wyoming St, Kansas City, MO 64111 - Zillow

I have no delusions about the difference in the two markets. Ya'll have been very helpful. Thanks you again.
If character is important to you, I'd think twice about Sunnyvale. The Silicon Valley housing stock is low on the charm scale in general. But Sunnyvale is just blaaaah even by low Silicon Valley standards.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:25 PM

43 posts, read 84,592 times
I would consider Campbell, Willow Glen or Los Gatos if you're still moving to the Silicon Valley. These are all great suburbs of San Jose/Silicon Valley with respectable school districts.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:26 PM

We don't have children school age... just dogs and cats ... so schools are not an issue at all. I'm more concerned with not being able to rent because we have 3 cats and 3 dogs. They are all around the 10yr ages and very chill. But landlords freak about it. That is a concern at the moment when looking.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:36 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
Yeah, that's going to be a big issue. You just can't live that kind of lifestyle here unless you have the money to be a homeowner. One pet is a minor problem, two is a major problem, more than that and you either have to lie or forget about renting..

Old 03-10-2010, 01:43 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabellavampirella View Post
We don't have children school age... just dogs and cats ... so schools are not an issue at all. I'm more concerned with not being able to rent because we have 3 cats and 3 dogs. They are all around the 10yr ages and very chill. But landlords freak about it. That is a concern at the moment when looking.
OK, I just have to wonder out loud why people insist on having sooooo many pets. It used to be that people had just ONE dog or ONE cat.

In today's world, where people move all the time, it's just not reasonable to have so many animals. Too much hassle and expense, and that's doubly true if you're a renter.

If you live on a farm and don't ever plan on moving, that's one thing. But otherwise, 6 pets is just unreasonable on so many levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose